· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible fungus?

0 Not allowed!
    So last night I noticed my betta had a few scales on his back near his top fin that were turning white instead of his usual brilliant red. My first thought was water parameters. I checked them, all fine. I've seen ick before, and I know its not that.

I quarantined him immediately after I saw it. It was looking a bit better today this morning when I fed him, but I just got home from work and noticed that the whitening of his scales now extends most of his back, and its outlined with a white slime of some kind. I've never had any fish get fungus before, so I'm not at all sure what it looks like. Does this sound like a fungus to you guys? I dont want to get the wrong meds and end up doing more harm than good. He's still moving about and flaring like all bettas do, but still.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. He's the original fish that got me into this hobby, and it would absolutely suck to lose him so soon. I can try and get a pic if its needed as well.
    20g Community tank.

Fish in the 20g:
    - 2 neon and 4 flame tetras (they shoal together! lol)
    - 1 Mystery snail
    - 1 2'' common pleco being held for a friend until he fixes his tank. (Dont like this fish. meh)

0 Not allowed!
    You can search the betta or diease section. I think there was a post recently about the same thing. Also check compass 10 gal office journal.near end of it.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

1 Not allowed!
    Can you post a picture? Easier to start diagnosing if members can see the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    1273883_10152272830999599_5222694594880251580_o.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Can you post a picture? Easier to start diagnosing if members can see the fish.
    There ya go. Im thinking its fungus.
    20g Community tank.

Fish in the 20g:
    - 1 Mystery snail
    - 1 2'' common pleco being held for a friend until he fixes his tank. (Dont like this fish. meh)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah sure looks like it too me. But im not a disease person so I think a 2nd opinion would be ggod
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like either a fungal or bacterial infection

I would recommend treating with a med that can handle both. I have always had good results using paraguard (by seachem) for treating conditions like this
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking Columnaris

0 Not allowed!
    Well guys, I didn't have an opportunity to go to the pet store around me last night to go get medicine. Fish were fine this morning when I left, Ember was still infected obviously but was swimming. Plan was to go to the LFS when they opened and get meds for both fungal and bacterial. Got home from work, Ember was dead. Look in the main tank, also had 4 guppies floating belly up, who last night showed no symptoms, absolutely covered in the same thing. I guess I didnt get Ember out of the tank as quick as I thought. I've started treatment for the rest of the fish since obviously its now in the main tank, but I'm not seeing any signs on any of the remaining fish. So fingers crossed this doesn't kill my entire tank. Sheesh. Wait forever for it to cycle so nobody dies, and then this.

The only way I can think of that it even got into my tank would be the pleco. But hes arguably looking better than anyone in the tank. -sigh-
    20g Community tank.

Fish in the 20g:
    - 1 Mystery snail

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry....I know you were helping out a friend but all it takes it one fish added to the tank without qt to cause disaster and must likely the pleco brought in something that infected your fish :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    I'm so sorry....I know you were helping out a friend but all it takes it one fish added to the tank without qt to cause disaster and must likely the pleco brought in something that infected your fish :(
    Indeed. I just didn't think too much about qt'ing him since he came from a friends tank and not a store. My fault, obviously, but sucks either way. I'm thinking about replacing the departed with Tetras, as of all the 6 tetra's I bought since I set this tank up, I haven't lost a single one. Seemingly a little hardier fish, hopefully. Still have one pregnant guppy, so we'll see if I cant replenish my guppy stock from her..
    20g Community tank.

Fish in the 20g:
    - 1 Mystery snail