· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The drip method for aclimating newly purchased fish

1 Not allowed!
    I acclimate my fish using a bucket, a 6ft (2 meter) long piece of air-line, and a chip clip. I have proven this method over and over again and will never go back to "floating the bags" after seeing the amount of stress it causes..

Dim lighting always makes for a less stressful acclimation.

Cut a slit in the bag and gently dump the fish, and the water the fish came with, into the bucket.

If there isn't enough water to keep the fish fully submerged, tilt the bucket to the side and put something under the edge to keep the bucket tilted until the water level is higher later in the process.

DO NOT tilt the bucket far enough to spill. (duh)

Stick one end of the airline into the tank into which the fish will be going into after acclimation.

Do not submerge the line more than an inch or so into the water. (This will prevent accidentally draining your tank in the event that you forget about it. I have large tanks, so if you have a 10 gallon tank and a 5 gallon bucket, you may need to submerge a little more. :)

Close lid on airline, or secure it from coming out of tank however you wish.

Draw a siphon, stick other end in bucket.

Quickly kink the line, and put the chip clip on the kink to hold it.

Adjust the kink to allow a small amount of water through. Literally just a little more than a drip will do.

Keep an eye on your bucket and do not let it overflow.

An hour or two later, you should have a calm, fully acclimated fish.

MAKE SURE and net the fish out of the bucket, and discard the water left in the bucket. (This is to prevent any disease that may be lurking in the water from getting into your tank.)

I have never lost a fish with this method, and have done it over 40 times with a %100 success rate.
    Last edited by Piscine; 04-13-2010 at 12:36 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can this be a sticky? Nice Post!!
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I brought two of my large fish in buckets to my LFS and my LFS used this method to acclimatize them! They said it was best way and showed me how to do it...

I deff agree this shud be sticky
    For Fishy info and Fishy vids visit my youtube channel. I have added lots of good links and my own views on the main issues of fishkeeping.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/spudsssy?feature=mhum

0 Not allowed!
    Now a stickie. Nice post.

It has been pointed out to me we already have a thread on this subject that I had overlooked. This article has pictures to better show you how this works.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ip+acclimation
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-13-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Theres actually 3 I think Not a big deal though

I can clean it up today, I'll fix the video for mine as well.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey
    All of them are stickied here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=62211 with room for any future authors

Great job Pisc and AH
    awesome wild turkey thanx!!!
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piscine
    My first sticky ever!

And thank you Ms. Lady Hobbs. :)
    GRatz Piscine it is a well organized post!! Now with the 3 of them readily available we can just link to them when answering questions instead of having to reinvent the wheel...lol

"GoT FiSh?"

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Piscine
    That was really helpful
    Cheers

Tank 1 : 18.7 G Planted 100% Flourite : Amano Shrimps, Red Cherry Shrimps, Endlers. Guppies.
    Tank 2: 8.4 G : Planted Tank Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower. 8 Danios, Amanos (Plant Propagation Tank)
    Tank 3 : 8.4 G : Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower.6 Slender Rasboras
    Weekly Liquid Dosing of Nitrate, Potassium, Phosphate, Magnesium, CSM+B and Iron Nutrients for Plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Anytime I can help.
    *75g- 20g sump -- WC/CB mix Geophagus Abalios colony, Queen Botias, Yo-yo Botias, Polka-Dot Botias
    *29g- 10g sump/Penguin 350 -- Empty
    *40b -- Empty
    *120g Deep -- Empty