· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default sigh...and she "rescues" another.

0 Not allowed!
    SOOOOOO...my fiance has struck again. I now have an African clawed frog which is about 6 inches long. It has eaten 4 neons, killed 2 red eye tetras and tried to attack my Upside Down Catfish which was thwarted by what I call the BD Mafia. My Raphaels came out to protect him. The sneaking in and killing happened while I was sleeping. I woke up and seen the thing and an argument later I scooped him and tossed him in a 7 gallon hospital tank I have set up. Will he be okay in that tank for a few weeks? I want to find him a home but she is telling me we need to keep it. Would a 20 high be good enough for him and some company to live in?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept them but this may help you, http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id1.html
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If "we" need to keep it then she can go buy a tank and take care of it herself. Seems simple to me, probably why I will never get married lol.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba View Post
    If "we" need to keep it then she can go buy a tank and take care of it herself. Seems simple to me, probably why I will never get married lol.
    Sounds good to me - and I'm a girl LOL - what happened to asking first if this is OK with you before bringing it home?? You might consider asking her to not "strike again" - it's cost you too many fish you know?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that conversation has happened already, I told here

1. We can't rescue everything.
    2. We can't pack fish in to one tank despite the being "plenty of room"
    3. NOT ALL ANIMALS ARE COMPATIBLE!

I believe I got my point across about calling first and letting me know whats going on. She was freaked out because this "little" frog did the damage.

I have 5 tank setups in storage and have no issue keeping it but I don't want a tank holding a single critter.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In that case as far as actual advice, they need to be in a species only. Not just because they will eat other fish but because frogs require special feeding and often need to be tong fed. Other fish make this very difficult. You could have a couple of the frogs though.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ACFs are known to attack large fish in the wild, actually ganging up to kill them. They simply can't live with fish... A 10g might work alright for one, though it isn't optimal. They don't eat plants, they can just be a little destructive when they decide to hide under them. You could probably make a really nice tank with just stone and wood, or maybe you could see if anyone on here would like it. I used to have one, and they're nice critters with a good bit of personality. It's fun to feed them large-ish hunks of food and watch them tear into it. They grab it in their mouth, bring their hindlegs up, and just tear at it with their claws.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard these frogs can be pretty aggressive. If you were a shepherd would she rescue a wolf to keep in the sheep pen? You gotta know the limits for the sake of the animals you already have.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~