· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm done...

1. Default I'm done...

0 Not allowed!
    As some might remember I've had mysterious die offs of blood fin tetra in the past. My parameters are perfect (nitrates never get about 5) and the other fish seem to be fine through all this. The only clue I had on the others were they tended to not color up in the morning as fast as the others. After a month or so with no deaths and thinking I was out of the clear I found another dead this morning when turning on the lights... I'm at a complete loss about what might be causing these I don't believe that a fish that seems to be very health and eating well would just die randomly but there is no other explanation I can think off. If more experienced fish keepers could help me brain storm reasons for this that would be very very helpful. At this point I'm planning on all of them dying off.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Just because the water is clear to our eyes and the nitrate is below 5ppm doesn't necessarily mean the water is good.

There are a lot of other factors to consider.

Where the stock of the fish came from (good source or bad)? Any kind of stress it could've been exposed to while harboring some kind of hidden disease that wouldn't appear unless under stress? Did you QT the fishes before putting them in the main tank? Did you add in new inhabitants from different sources without QT? Did you have any chemical residue on your hands and dipped your hands in the tank?

If the source of where your fish come from is questionable (ie, improper method of catching/shipping/transporting the fish from the wilds to you), the fish might have been weakened already.

I didn't get a chance to go through and see in your previous posts if you QT or not (if yes, how long and how do you treat it) but that's always important as well.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had similar probs with fish from a local supplier but I now get them posted and I've only had 3 die in 2 months and 2 of those were DOA. In a year and a half I have lost over 40 fish ! mostly dithers and some because of a house move but I have had better results with a change of supplier.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Just because the water is clear to our eyes and the nitrate is below 5ppm doesn't necessarily mean the water is good.

There are a lot of other factors to consider.

Where the stock of the fish came from (good source or bad)? Any kind of stress it could've been exposed to while harboring some kind of hidden disease that wouldn't appear unless under stress? Did you QT the fishes before putting them in the main tank? Did you add in new inhabitants from different sources without QT? Did you have any chemical residue on your hands and dipped your hands in the tank?

If the source of where your fish come from is questionable (ie, improper method of catching/shipping/transporting the fish from the wilds to you), the fish might have been weakened already.

I didn't get a chance to go through and see in your previous posts if you QT or not (if yes, how long and how do you treat it) but that's always important as well.
    Thanks Spardas, I've had these fish for about 7 months now I started off with 12 and one dies every now and then. I get all my fish from the local petco but am careful to observe the fish for a week every day or so to make sure they look healthy (no guarantee I know) before I buy. With all the fish I was careful to QT for a few weeks. If it is a disease it only seems to effect the bloodfins (the GBR has been with them for 6 months). I used to have a problem with tap water coming out a big ph swing caused by extra gas in the water but I've fixed it by gassing the water till the ph drops to 7.8 where it is steady. It might just be bad stock but it seems weird to only have it happen one at a time and spread out.
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    Good old Petco. It might just be a bad batch or if the size differ, some might just be older than others.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it then if other inhabitants are fine considering all else is the same. 7 months in starting with 12 fishes and now 9 left; I think you're doing good and it's not something to worry about.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick Update; I think the mystery has been solved! One of the other blood fin came down with the same symptoms again and my research turned up something new. For awhile I thought it was dropsy but I changed my mind because I couldn't see anything that might have caused it after treating with Api general cure, apit t.c. tetracycline and metro+ (over the course of about 6 months as other bloodfin would fall victim). Today however I read about chronic dropsy caused by tumors or parasites, I now believe that this is the cause of the slow demise of my fish. I also read about another form of chronic dropsy but it is supposed to be very very contagious and since no other fish bought at different times have shown signs or no unexplained deaths I believe that the stock came with tumors or parasites and the stress of being my first ever fish has taken its tole in the form of chronic dropsy thats just now effecting my youngest fish (based off of size compared to the others). Does anyone see anything else that might explain this? Also a bit off topic what are some recommendations for books to learn more about the health of aquarium fish? I'm not scared off by a book being heavy into the biology of fish as I'm actually studying fisheries biology in college.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your last question first, there are ebooks here on the site,
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...splay.php?f=78

Also Chapters has a few hardcopy books, just do a google search.

Your only having this happen with the bloodfins but your glowlight tetras are doing fine, this would eliminate the water quality problems for me. I suspect it's the quality of the stock available to you. It was said earlier and I too have come across certain stores that I would buy from with failure on a particular species.
    If you can after all is settled down, try another lfs in a different area. Even if you have to drive an hour, it's worth it.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Strider. I'm going to wait and see what this new case looks like tomorrow but I'm expecting to put it down. At that point I'll have 6 left and it seems inevitable that they will fall victim at some point.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I've been through that with Cardinal tetras so I know how frustrating it can be.
    Once I changed to a different store in another city, the Cardinals I bought there have lasted for almost 5 years now. Same filters, water, water conditioner, stock in tank, and substrate. Only difference was the store I bought them from.
    Keep your chin up Limming and go read those ebooks to keep your mind clear.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! It feels great to finally have a reasonable cause of the deaths as bad as that sounds. The store is now run by someone who is very knowledgeable and has worked on improving their stock so I've reasonably confident in shopping there as long as there is no obvious problems.