· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    My earlier request for GH and KH was for your taq water so we could see what you are faced with. These numbers from the 55g are interesting; the hardness is soft, at 120 ppm or 7 dGH. That's not going to cause much trouble for the soft water fish we have been discussing previously. The pH I would prefer to see below 7, but given the high KH (180 ppm or 10 dKH) this is not likely to budge much. I would leave it alone and see what occurs over time. The pH may naturally lower a bit as the tanks establish biologically.

I agree on the rocks, make sure they are not calcareous. I can't tell if that one is or not; did you do the "acid" test?

Byron.
    I hate to ask, but what is this "acid" test?
    I also just read that the rock in the picture, "Texas Holy Rock" does tend to raise the Ph. It's probably the main cause; I do 50%+ water changes every 1-2 weeks.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I hate to ask, but what is this "acid" test?
    It's where you take a bit of an acid (white vinegar is usually what most people have on-hand) and drop it on the rock. If it foams and fizzes, then it's got a bunch of calcium carbonate and will dissolve in your water, raising the KH and pH.

I also just read that the rock in the picture, "Texas Holy Rock" does tend to raise the Ph. It's probably the main cause; I do 50%+ water changes every 1-2 weeks.
    Texas holey rock? That is a form of limestone, which is definitely calcareous. It's basically shells crushed into a fine powder, and then pressed to form rock. I would say that is very likely the culprit of the KH in your 55 tank, and pretty much the only freshwater tanks that it is appropriate in are for fish that like their water to be practically liquid rock.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with Flyby. I would definitely remove that rock. You can't hope to lower the pH with the tap KH and the rock adding to it.

BTW, vinegar is a fairly weak acid, and sometimes not sufficient to fizz. The Regent #2 in the API nitrate test kit is much stronger and a drop or two of that will give you a more reliable result. But, aside from all this, with the rock you have I would expect the vinegar to fizz. Dry the rock first of course.

Byron.
    Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I haven't added the rock to the 10 gallon yet. And from what you are telling me, it's not a very good idea. I don't want to do anything complicated with the 10 gallon, so I'm just going to stay away from rocks. The only rock I have in there now is a regular piece of slate just to temporarily hold the driftwood down to make sure it doesn't float. I'm removing it tomorrow anyways.

Since I guess this is figured out now, can I start worrying about fish? I would like to add the ember tetras tomorrow since the water has cleared up 100% and everything has settled.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    Since I guess this is figured out now, can I start worrying about fish? I would like to add the ember tetras tomorrow since the water has cleared up 100% and everything has settled.
    As long as you have a cycled filter on the tank, you can add your fish whenever you want - and then monitor your water parameters for about a week or so - or are you planning on cycling the tank with the fish in there?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm most likely going to cycle it with some of the fish in there. I don't expect to get the secondary species on my first try, so it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks until I can complete my stocking.

I'm still not decided about what else to use; which seems most appropriate?

Sparkling Gourami
    Pencilfish
    Micro Rasboras
    Harlequins

I really like the sparkling gourami idea... Im gonna do a bunch of research on these before I buy.

0 Not allowed!
    On adding the fish, yes, start with a group of one species, Ember Tetra (are you still thinking of these?) if that is what you want and they are available. I would also get some floating plants with them. These are incredible ammonia sinks. The stem plants (looks like Cabomba) work well too, but floating are ideal at this stage, and down the raod, as all these fish mentioned frankly need them. Especially the gourami.

On the fish, here is some data on the species which I happened to have written when I was on another forum:

The Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...-eques-191289/

The pygmy or sparkling gourami
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...pumila-177642/

"Micro rasbora" I assume to be one of the six species in Boraras, here are two but all are identical in requirements, etc.
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...ulatus-192217/
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...gittae-192201/

I would not put Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha in a 10g, they shoul dhave more space.

Byron.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright. The tank is already planted a little, but I will consider some floating plants for the future.

Thanks for the help, and I will post the results most likely when finished.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Put them in. They are doing excellent so far. They look much better in this tank, especially with the cherry shrimp also on the driftwood.

The GH is much lower than in most other tanks I have, and I think it's because I didn't put any powdery rocks in there. Hopefully they will appreciate these water conditions. I'm going to attempt to lower the Ph over time, because the house water is a 7.5...

As for fish, I might actually go for 5 or 6 pigmy corys, since I hear that Sparkling Gourami will hunt down Cherry shrimp.

I'm also thinking of adding some flame moss, it looks wonderful.