· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10 gallon stocking.

0 Not allowed!
    Im taking down my unreasonably stocked 6 gallon(circular) in replacement of a 10 gallon(20x10) peaceful slightly planted tropical community. I have been too busy working on my 55gallon(which is around 90% complete :D) and I have left 5 ember tetras and 2 guppys in the 6 gallon. When I set it up, I hadn't even joined this forum, so I'm already mad at myself for this.

Anyways, I'm planning on moving the ember tetras to this tank, and I only really need advice on 2 things. The guppys already will be moving to a home around 30 times larger. Here's my stoking plan for the 10 gallon:

x7 Ember Tetra
    x7 Marbled Hatchets/ x7?
    x2-3 Nerite Snails
    x4-5 Amano Shrimp
    A few cherry shrimp(leftover from the 6 gallon)

I am considering Marbled Hartchets, but I'm not sure about the tank size. Sure, people keep these in smaller tanks, but the point of me doing this is to properly take care of my fish. Also, a slight overstock number-wise isn't a huge worry because I'm going with a 20 gallon filter. So, is this going to be too small for them, and if so, what is a good, small species(other than neon tetras, and dwarf cories) to replace these?

Last but not least, I read that ember tetras will develop better color in 7.0 ph, but they are in 7.5 ph. Their colors are still great, but I think 7.0 ph is more to their liking from what I've read. Any ways other than buying a typical ph lower? I would also like to know how long I should acclimate them if they are to move from 7.5 to 7.0 ph.

Here's the picture around 5 minutes after I set up the 10 gallon(won't be adding fish until around 5 days)

image.jpg

I will repost it when the water clears up. But as you can see, I have a piece of driftwood with java moss tied around it that extends across the tank.

Thank you for reading, advice would be great :D

0 Not allowed!
    I would not recommend hatchets for a 10g. Although they are quiet fish, rarely swimming except when feeding or chasing each other in circles as they like to do now and then, they should have a larger group. I have kept Marbles and the other species in Carnegiella for many years, and I would not have fewer than 9 in the group, and preferably more than that.

The Ember will be fine in a planted 10g, and I would get a few more, say 9-10. They prefer slightly acidic water, but more importantly is the GH (general hardness). I'll come back to this momentarily. Some good tankmates for the Ember would be a trio of pygmy sparkling gourami, Trichopsis pumila, perhaps a group of 7 of the Rocket Pencilfish, Nannostomus eques. Some corys on the substrate (needn't be the pygmy or dwarf species, a group of 5 of almost any of the medium sized species would be fine).

Now to the pH and GH. These are somewhat connected. The GH is the amount of mineral salts (calcium and magnesium primarily) in the water, and the KH is the carbonates that tend to "buffer" the pH to prevent it lowering as it would do without any buffering. You can ascertain the GH and KH/Akalinity of your tap water from the municipal water supply people, likely they have a website. We need to know these numbers, first because the GH impacts the fish, and second the KH will impact the pH.

Chemicals to adjust pH rarely work because of the KH, and this means fluctuating pH which is far worse for fish. We can discuss safe methods to deal with the pH, if we need to, once we have the GH and KH numbers.

As for aclimating fish from pH 7.5 to 7.0, I wouldn't worry about this, but the GH is again the issue so I can go more into this later.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pencilfish seem fine, but I think Sparkling Gourami seem like pretty cool fish. Ill put the Gourami first on my list, and if I can't find any, ill go pencilfish or micro rasboras.

As for pH and GH, should I post the numbers when everything settles?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Picture after it cleared up a little:
    image.jpg

I also plan to add a small version of one of these rocks. It will look great with a black background.
    image.jpg

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of rock is that? Many rocks will leech minerals or calcium carbonate into the water, raising your water hardness. That's fine, if you have water that's already at 1-2 dGH and dKH. However, if you water is hard already, it could cause issues.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never really had problems with the hardness, and it's pretty amazing that I haven't because the water where I live is pretty hard. The rock I took a picture of is in my 55 gallon. I'm probably going to do a water test very soon.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just did a water test on the 55 gallon. The tank has been running for about 6 months.

GH-120
    KH-180
    Ph-7.5
    Nitrates-0
    Nitrites-Looks like its just a little above 0.

I don't know if I should do a water test on the 10 gallon right after I set it up...

0 Not allowed!
    My earlier request for GH and KH was for your taq water so we could see what you are faced with. These numbers from the 55g are interesting; the hardness is soft, at 120 ppm or 7 dGH. That's not going to cause much trouble for the soft water fish we have been discussing previously. The pH I would prefer to see below 7, but given the high KH (180 ppm or 10 dKH) this is not likely to budge much. I would leave it alone and see what occurs over time. The pH may naturally lower a bit as the tanks establish biologically.

I agree on the rocks, make sure they are not calcareous. I can't tell if that one is or not; did you do the "acid" test?

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    I agree on the rocks, make sure they are not calcareous. I can't tell if that one is or not; did you do the "acid" test?
    Between the color and shape, I would think that there's a very good chance that it's calcareous. If that rock is in the tank that he tested the hardness, it could be why the KH is raised.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh it is for sure calcareous. When I put rocks in, I usually heavily rinse it, and try to remove the parts that kinda leak off. The rock I took a picture of has been in there for more than a month as of now. It leaked off a little bit of chalky substance the first day, but since the rocks are closest to the filter, it probably didnt cause much trouble. I've never had trouble with rocks being unsafe for the water, but I surely stay away from rocks with fungus growing on them, or a kind that can break just by a small drop.