· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Hospital tank set up

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there, i just got a 10 gallon tank that im trying to set up for a hospital tank. it was used so right now im letting soak in some hot vinegar water.
    i need some instructions/suggestions on what i should do, ive never had a hospital tank.
    currently im running a 55 gallon tank that has a full grown severum and blue gourami and juvenile jack dempsey and 2 firemouths.
    i know my stock isnt compatible, thats not what im posting about
    one of my firemouths is being bullied by my sev, jd, and other firemouth to the point were his fins are withered away and he just stays hidden all the time and it looked like he was on the verge of dying so i decided to get the hospital tank to get him out of there and let him heal up.
    in my tank i have an annoying case of ich that im treating with heat and salt at the moment, the ich is only noticeable on my severum, should i keep the high heat and salt in the hospital tank ?
    also like i said, help with the hospital tank, what should i do or how long should i let it run before putting the fish in. any help is appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Fill the 10g hospital tank with water from the main tank, though not quite full. A bare bottom (no substrate) is advisable, but I like to have some sort of branch so the fish is not further stressed out by being in a completely bare tank. A sponge filter is fine, and a heater if necessary to keep the water warm.

As you have ich in the main tank, it will move with the fish to the QT, so keep the temp high. I am not a fan of salt, but here, go ahead.

You do realize of course that when cured, the Firemouth can't go back in the main tank? This will only be repeated. You've acknowledged your inappropriate mix of fish, so I won't harp on that, but it has to be changed as this will only get worse and other fish will be next. The ich may well be due to this. Fish only contract ich when stressed, and "bullies" are highly stressful to fish just as they are to humans.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    sorry you're having trouble. As you said, you don't have compatible stock and that's why the firemouth is being bullied.
    I'd get him out of there right away. Get the 10 gal tank cleaned up, at some treated water (treated with Prime if you've got it) and put him in it. I wouldn't use any of the filter media from the 55 since that tank is contaminated with ich. If you don't have another filter that is cyled then you simply need to do massive water changes every single day while he's in there. In fact, with a fish that large in a 10 gal, I'd do 2 X 75% water changes every day. Fresh, clean water will treat his damaged fins better than almost anything.
    So get a filter going in the 10 gal. Feed him lightly. Add an air bubbler and make those frequent water changes and vac any food or poo daily. Once he's healed, you're going to have to decide what to do with him. If you put him back in the 55, he's just going to get injured again and possibly killed.
    Chances are the injured fish also has ich. Ich first latches on to the inside of the gills so that would be why you aren't seeing it on all the fish. Set the temp in the QT at 86F. I'd forgo the salt - it will be too hard regulating the amount with those large water changes. Leave the heat at 86F for 7 to 10 days after you've seen the last ich spot on any of the fish in your main tank.

I'd treat the main tank the same way 86F and forget the salt for now. Give the tank a good water change every 2 to 3 days making sure you replace the water with 86F temp water. Keep the heat at 86 for 7 - 10 day AFTER you see the last spot.

Good luck and do ask more questions if you need to.

Sorry Kermit - I see you and I were posting at the same time. Basically same advice.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-12-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok so ive been working on the hospital tank, i did put substrate and rocks for hiding just because i have a lot of it on hand. the heater that came with the tank doesnt have adjustable heat so im using one from a 29 gal i dont have set up anymore so i can have the temp high (currently at 84ish). i guess its ready for the fish, i did use prime, i love that stuff.
    im aware that the ich is probably on this fish and will go to the next tank but im planning on this being a temporary set up.
    On the subject of the stock, i know i need to find a new home for the jack dempsey, im not sure yet but im fully aware how big hell get.
    i was told that the severum and firemouths would be ok together, what do yall think? would i be fine if i got rid of the jd. i get mixed answers. im a beginner when it comes to the cichlids, my severum was my first.
    when i bought the jd and firemouths i didnt really know what they were the guy at the fish store was telling me that everything would be fine and they wont out grow the tank yada yada, i know now that it was a mistake, i had 2 texas cichlids as well and i actually got rid of those because of their aggression but with the ones i have i havent really been a problem till the last 2 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    Great minds think alike...and fools seldom differ (to complete the saying).

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by valwow187 View Post
    ok so ive been working on the hospital tank, i did put substrate and rocks for hiding just because i have a lot of it on hand.
    you'd be better off getting the substrate out of there. you need to keep this tank pristine and poo and food get trapped in the substrate. rocks for him to hide in are okay

the heater that came with the tank doesnt have adjustable heat so im using one from a 29 gal i dont have set up anymore so i can have the temp high (currently at 84ish). i guess its ready for the fish, i did use prime, i love that stuff.
    Keep cranking up that temp to 86 so it will kill the ich. If you can, get an air bubbler in both tanks as well. Hi heat cuts down on oxygen in the water. If you don't have any bubblers on hand, lower the water level by about an inch or so to help and get some surface movement going.

im aware that the ich is probably on this fish and will go to the next tank but im planning on this being a temporary set up.
    none the less, treat this fish in the QT for both the torn fins and the ich. Keep him in the QT for the duration of his treatment

On the subject of the stock, i know i need to find a new home for the jack dempsey, im not sure yet but im fully aware how big hell get.
    He'll be big. 10 - 12 inches. And he'll be tank boss. Glad you're okay with rehoming him.

i was told that the severum and firemouths would be ok together, what do yall think? would i be fine if i got rid of the jd. i get mixed answers. im a beginner when it comes to the cichlids, my severum was my first.
    when i bought the jd and firemouths i didnt really know what they were the guy at the fish store was telling me that everything would be fine and they wont out grow the tank yada yada, i know now that it was a mistake, i had 2 texas cichlids as well and i actually got rid of those because of their aggression but with the ones i have i havent really been a problem till the last 2 weeks.
    '
    The sevs and the firemouths should be okay but you need to watch them. good for you for getting the texas cichlids out of there.

it's key now to keep that temp up in both tanks and do not reduce it until 7 - 10 days after you see the last ich spot. That 7 - 10 days is critical so the ich protozoan totally die off.
    Good luck and make those 2 X a day water changes for your injured fm
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, ill take the substrate out, i didnt know that when i added it. ill keep up the water changes, thanks for your help.
    so im not sure what to do with the JD, any suggestions. not sure if fish stores take fish or what.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a local indy fish store, I'm sure they'll take him. they might even give you credit for him for fish food etc.
    If no indy, then generally petco and petsmart have orphan tanks. they will take him but most likely you won't get credit - unless you point out to the manager that you were sold the fish and informed that he would be compatible with your other stock. then they might give you credit. either way, someone will adopt him from there and hopefully he'll end up in a tank big enough for himself.