· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Does my angelfish need a friend?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently got an angelfish that is about 3 inches not including fins. After looking at the angelfish sexing sticky I believe I have a female. She's very peaceful and gets along with everyone. Where I got her she was donated with 3 other angels to my LFS. She was kind of the outcast so I picked her. It has become very clear that she "plays" with her reflection. Is this a sign that she needs another angel?

At the time I thought about buying 2 of the 4 angels she was with but the other ones didn't really pay attention to her. They swam together and left her out. When she would come near they would swim away or push her away. I didn't want to buy a second one in case the other one got violent with her. It seems like she's missing them or wants an angelfish buddy.

I don't really want to go back and get one of those that she came into the store with her so I thought of getting a young one. But that would be like half her size. Is that a bad idea? Again, she's very peaceful and loves her tank mates, they just don't seem to be enough to make her very happy.

Her striped are faded and my water parameters are perfect and stable. I have some floating plants in case the light is too bright. She's eating like a pig so I don't think she's unhappy with the tank. I think she just misses other angelfish.

Is this weird that I'm kind of reading into this? Lol I just want all my fish to be happy you know. All but the angel are happy. She doesn't appear to be UNhappy, but I think she's missing something that will make her very happy.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You did the right thing by buying only the one angel. As angel fish mature, they often become aggressive with each other and one or both end up getting hurt.
    As long as your angel is eating and getting on well with the others, she's doing fine. I have a single angle as do many others here and they do well alone. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the bleeding hearts would become nippy and start going after her fins. they may be fine but you should watch them.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well that's good to know. Is it common for them to play with their reflection?

About the bleeding hearts, I had read that it could go either way. I've been keeping a close eye and so far nothing. They don't seem to pay any attention to each other. I do have someone to take the bleeding hearts if it comes down to that.

What's pretty funny is that my eel and angel seem to be friends. They swim around together. My eel would come out during the day but not a ton and it would stay close to the ground. Since getting the angel my eel comes out more often during the day and when it does they swim all over together. It's kinda cute.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my assumption would be that the angel is used to seeing other angels in the tank and may consider his reflection as another angel. there's no harm in it

I missed that you had the eel. You should do some research on the eel's profile. I know they are carnivorous and are night hunters. I'd be a little worried for your rams and possibly even for the pleco as the eel grows larger.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyssaasaurus View Post
    Well that's good to know. Is it common for them to play with their reflection?

About the bleeding hearts, I had read that it could go either way. I've been keeping a close eye and so far nothing. They don't seem to pay any attention to each other. I do have someone to take the bleeding hearts if it comes down to that.

What's pretty funny is that my eel and angel seem to be friends. They swim around together. My eel would come out during the day but not a ton and it would stay close to the ground. Since getting the angel my eel comes out more often during the day and when it does they swim all over together. It's kinda cute.
    If your Bleeding hearts do start picking at the Angel (they should not) and you have somewhere for them to go, and you like them, I would suggest getting Rosy tetras to replace them. They stay smaller, are always peaceful, and resemble Bleeders very much.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I missed that you had the eel. You should do some research on the eel's profile. I know they are carnivorous and are night hunters. I'd be a little worried for your rams and possibly even for the pleco as the eel grows larger.
    I spent a lot of time doing research and talked to someone at my LFS who has kept many different kinds of eels for a long time. I wanted to make sure it would work. If it wasn't going to I would just scrap the whole idea. When I did decide I wanted an eel they helped me pick out the best eel for my situation. The guy said that this eel stays relatively small, generally only 7", and is a good community eel. I've had it for over a month and so far so good. The eel is about 4 inches long and about as wide as a pencil. I know that every fish is different and just because everyone says it will work doesn't mean it always will. I watch my fish like a hawk for the first few weeks after getting something new. Then I just monitor them for a bit after that. So far so good. :) Same type of situation as the tetras, I have someone on backup who can take the eel in case things don't work out.

Thanks for the warning though. Greatly appreciated. I welcome all advice, warnings, etc.! :) I'm still kind of new to the whole tropical aquarium thing so everything is welcomed. I had goldfish for several years before this so I know the basics of keeping fish and I research the hell out of EVERYTHING (it's a blessing and a curse). Tropical is quite a bit different from goldfish though. Definitely cleaner that's for sure. :P

Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    If your Bleeding hearts do start picking at the Angel (they should not) and you have somewhere for them to go, and you like them, I would suggest getting Rosy tetras to replace them. They stay smaller, are always peaceful, and resemble Bleeders very much.
    I really like the looks of bleeding heart tetras and the rosy tetras look very similar. Thanks for recommendation!
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    I fully agree with what has been suggested by others in this thread. Totally.

Angelfish are shoaling fish by nature, and they live in groups. They will establish an hierarchy within the group. If the group is not large enough, single fish are often picked on, and to the point of death in many cases. Four is the absolute minimum for a group, but 5-6 is always much safer. However, pairs will form and this leads to other issues down the road. Adding angelfish to an existing angelfish or group is always very risky, and seldom successful. So stay with the one you have, as was mentioned.

On the tetra, agree too with fishmommie and steeler1. The "Rosy" clade in the genus Hyphessobrycon that Weitzman and Palmer (1997) proposed as a monophyletic clade is comprised of approximately 30 species that share several traits. All species are somewhat disk-shaped and share the "flag" signal, being a very conspicuous black spot on the dorsal fin, usually underlined by a white or sometimes yellow zone and tipped with white depending upon species. They also share a darkened humeral or shoulder patch immediately posterior of the gill covers; sometimes this patch lightens to the point that it is scarcely visible, but this is usually due to environmental stress of some sort. [The Bleeding Heart was given this common name because of its very bright red patch.] All of these species prefer the shade, so always have floating plants. They also tend to remain in the lower half of the aquarium, and are somewhat inactive, meaning they are not active swimmers as for instance the rummynose tetra is. All this makes them excellent companions for the sedate angelfish. Rosy Tetra, Robert's Tetra, Black and Red Phantoms, etc. The Serpae or Red Minor Tetra is also in this clade, and is the one species that should never be housed with long-fin or sedate fish. But most of the others, including the Bleeding Heart, are usually fine, though sometimes this can change. This is not surprising, given that the group is monophyletic, which means they all evolved from a common ancestor. There are other species in this genus Hyphessobrycon that clearly did not, but considerable work is needed to sort this large genus out; there are well over 100 species that have been lumped in this genus.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-11-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]