· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Before I moved them to another tank he was with 4 cory catfish that were VERY active and he never seemed to mind them at all (he actually played with them sometimes) and 2 otos who everyone always ignores. I don't know a LOT about fish, but he really doesn't seem to mind company, or he didn't mind those fish (and he stays on the bottom usually anyways, always has, even in quarantine so he got bothered by them quite a lot.)

I can try to reduce the flow in the tank but... without the UV sterilizer I have gotten some pretty bad algae blooms (and some weird mineral deposits that went away after I added the UV thing for some reason... not sure if those were connected or not.) No matter what filter I use it's going to have flow and without getting a filter that's way too weak for the tank I don't really know what to do about that...

Since the tank is planted I'm hesitant to leave the lights off too much, but he DOES have a lot of places to hide from light in, and I can turn them completely off at night with no problem. As for the heater... it's a "constant" heater that isn't adjustable, the last adjustable one I had in there didn't go over very well (I swear to heaven that thing was just a freaking algae farm! I had to take it out of the tank every 2-3 days and SCRUB it like a mad man or it ended up looking like a stick of fuzzy green stuff! and it was the only thing in the tank to do that.)

Also; The people/sites who recommended the cherry barbs as betta tankmates were aqadviser.com, the people at my LFS (all of them experienced fish owners in their own rights), the people at PetsMart, One of the managers at Petco who apparently keeps 5 cherry barbs with her betta in a 10 gallon tank with no issues, and a friend of mine who's been keeping fish since we were little kids (roughly 12 years now).
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas are highly individualistic. Just because your friend's betta was able to live with cherry barbs does not mean yours is the same.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Cory cats, and Otos are "on the list" of generally well tolerated mates for Betta. This list also includes neons, harlequins, african dwarf frogs, Zebras, and snails. Though you may have been told otherwise, you have been given some extremely bad advice regarding the barbs.

Those you have spoken to "may" have had a good experience with the combination, but the truth is, that's luck, not the norm. I've found there's fish people, and Betta people, sometimes their advice isn't the same. Many times advice comes from those who have lucked out with it, but again..... I stand by it, barbs are not on the "risk it" list with Betta. Keep in mind, the store you mentioned by name also allows the sale of 1/2 gallon spongebob thin plastic homes as "acceptable" habitat for Betta.

Please understand, my advice simply comes from someone who lives and breathes Betta, and I truly have your Betta best interest at heart. I know others have luck with other ways of doing things, mine is not "law" by any means. Its my hope to make Tardis a happy Betta boy.

I'd still recommend getting an adjustable heater. The algae problems are likely from too much light. Too long a light period (over 12 hours) does no additional benefit for plants, but it does benefit the heck out of algae. Extending light periods extends algae bloom. Hard spot green algae, which seems like you are describing that's impossible to scrub off, can simply be left, there's no reason except asthetics to clean it off. The white/gray flake stuff is mineralization from minerals in your tap water. This is harmless, and if you brush off the thermometer a few times a week with an aquarium only use designated toothbrush, it will keep the build up down. (algae too).

There are filters with less flow, though most people don't like them, or aren't aware of them. Sponge filters (not the ones at petco which are in little boxes), but larger models can be effective and give much less flow. Submersible filters also can work, as well as Duetto filters, although now sadly, I think those are mostly off the market.

Since these are off the cuff, you can do other things to baffle the flow of your existing filter, such as using a suction cup slotted soap dish underneath the outflow spout to "break up" the current. One method I have used, is to go to a beauty supply store (I'm not kidding) and buy a bag of plastic rollers, the old fashioned kind with holes in it meant to be used with hair drier hoods. Cut one longways, and use it like a "clip" around the out flow, so it breaks up the water to the side and through the holes. Works like a charm. You may have to clip it together to hold it on, but I found mine just stayed right on.

I am editing to add, I had forgot about this point. If the flow is to much and the surface disturbed greatly (rippling), Betta are unable to form bubble nests, which is extremely stressful for them. One way around this is to install a feeding ring in a quiet corner of the tank at the surface, which will give a spot that the bubble nest can be built without breaking up.
    Last edited by Tiari; 08-13-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Missing information
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My filter is an underwater filter... it's just... powerful... I'm going to try moving it a little tomorrow to see what I can do to dissipate the outflow a little (ie, try to move it up to the very top since Tardis doesn't care for the upper part of his tank anyways... and hasn't since he moved in.) I'll also remove the bubbler (it's actually fairly pointless) and turn the UV sterilizers output hose towards the glass so that it reflects and dissipates a little (it's fully underwater too).

I'll see if they sell sponge filters at my LFS (it's mostly marine oriented honestly, but most of the fish seem to be healthier than those found at PetsMart and Petco... which are the only places in my town that sell fish stuff anyways that aren't over an hour away.) I can also look into an adjustable thermometer when I buy more flakes for my community tank (the 40 gallon next to the Betta tank).

Also, I just noticed tonight since it's the first time the house has been quiet in a while; the "betta log" that I have for him, the floating one? It's been bumping on the sides of the tank... A LOT. I don't wanna take away one of his hiding places, but at the same time I think that would stress him out more so... just temporarily I guess wouldn't hurt... especially since he only goes up there once in a while (mostly to snatch a breath or because the bubbler yanked him up there... which won't be a problem anymore.)

As a side note... If he recovers/when I get to the next betta if he doesn't... would it be a good idea to feed half a cube of frozen bloodworms (the barbs eat these too) for breakfast and a pellet or two (with flakes for the barbs) at night? or should I just feed the frozen blood worms? I also have frozen baby brine shrimp and spirannula shrimp, but those seem to be ignored by everyone...

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    I've found there's fish people, and Betta people, sometimes their advice isn't the same.
    That is so true! I'm also on a betta forum, and while they're great with bettas sometimes their recommendations for the care of other fish can be wildly off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    As a side note... If he recovers/when I get to the next betta if he doesn't... would it be a good idea to feed half a cube of frozen bloodworms (the barbs eat these too) for breakfast and a pellet or two (with flakes for the barbs) at night? or should I just feed the frozen blood worms? I also have frozen baby brine shrimp and spirannula shrimp, but those seem to be ignored by everyone...
    Frozen blood worms aren't good as a stable food. They're good as a snack once or twice a week to break up the monotony of pellets, but really shouldn't be fed every day. I have two types of pellets that I feed mine, plus frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp for treats.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've always heard that pellets cause blockages... and that seems accurate... is there anything else that would be good for "live food" for him? as a staple diet? He's never really had the strongest interest in pellets...

As a happy note; I moved his filter and UV sterilizer so that they weren't moving ALL the water, just a few spots that deflect and hopefully dissipate... Tardis actually started swimming afterwards but then he sank down again like he was just too tired to keep moving. He's resting in the bottom corner now, behind the fern.

I also added some rather warm water (not HOT, lukewarm... to me) that I treated, to his tank to warm things up a bit, that seemed to make EVERYONE happy. I know it'll cool again but for the night it might help things. I'll try to go out tomorrow to get a better heater and we'll see if I need the sponge filter or not as Tardis continues on.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I've always heard that pellets cause blockages... and that seems accurate... is there anything else that would be good for "live food" for him? as a staple diet? He's never really had the strongest interest in pellets...
    Pellets cause blockages? That's the first time I've heard that! It's flakes that cause blockages. A high-quality pellet (like NLS Betta or Omega One) are actually the best staple you can have, short of raising their native foods.

Also, which pellets have you been feeding him? I know Grimsby loves his Omega One, but I kinda have to be persistent to get him to eat the NLS pellets.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-13-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Omega One (I tried 5 or 6 different brands before I found one that he actually ate, and it was Omega One... funny thing is, he won't eat their freeze dried bloodworms.) He let's them sink most of the way to the bottom and then grabs them in the last 3-6 inches of water... or nips them off the bottom (I swear I got a weird betta, but I love him.) I've learned to drop them from a few inches so they just sink right away for him.

I also use Hikari brand for my frozen stuff.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I have Hikari brine shrimp, and San Francisco Bay bloodworms (the store doesn't stock Hikari bloodworms). And yeah, sometimes I have to get the pellets to start sinking before he'll rush in and gobble them. He wants to hunt his food! lol Grimsby also likes to swim away to his hiding spot to chew his pellets. It's funny.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    WELL YAY! Tardis is up at the top of the tank, apparently by his own choice, today! (So is everyone else actually, so I think it may have to do with me removing the bubbler). He's not eating though, and he's still not super active, but he is up and moving! I'll try to get an adjustable heater and set it for 80 (not too hot for everyone else or the plants, right?) today.

Extra: turning my light on revealed slightly murky water (not super murky) although I can partially blame that on only one light of my two are one (but since Tardis is still recovering I don't wanna put him through too much light... So I'll just leave it on for an hour around both of the feeding times.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 08-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.