· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Lethargic Betta?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. I just finished (I think) getting Tardis over a rather painful round of constipation and bloating and decided to change up his tank a little (partially to support plants better, partially to give him and the 8 cherry barbs he now lives with more places to hide via plants) and now he's just kinda... "dead". He isn't actually dead but he isn't moving unless I get the net and chase him around. He didn't even go for the baby brine shrimp or bloodworms that I defrosted and tossed in for them (I'm switching the tank to "live" food since nobody in there notices pellets or flakes apparently). Is he just "adjusting" to the new tank? Is he still sick? I don't THINK he's stuck in the water wistera, anubius plants, or the fern but could that be part of it? When I first put him in after changing everything yesterday (and giving the tank a full white vinegar wash and rinsing it out 3 times) he was active and fine and swimming better than he usually does.

Tank: 15 gallon column (13.6 in X 13.8 in X ??? (not filled to top))

Water: Ph: between 6.2 and 6.8. Total Alkalinity: between 80 and 120 ppm. Total Chlorine: 0 ppm. Total Hardness: 75 ppm. Nitrite: 0 ppm. Nitrate: 0 ppm. Temperature: 76-78 F

Decorations: 1 floating betta log, 7 Water Wistera, 1 Fern, 3 Various Anubias plants, 1 Japanese "stone" pagoda, 1 fine mist bubbler.

Filtration: 1 30 gallon underwater filter, 1 UV sterilizer.

Fish: 8 Cherry barbs (2 male, 6 female), 1 Oto, 1 Male Crowntail Betta (Tardis)

Hope someone can help me, I really don't want to lose Tardis, he's my special little grumpy boy.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    why is there such a large range in ph?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Because those are the two closest number on the strip test that I use, but the color of the strip section for that was between those two so I'm not sure of the EXACT number. (I have to wait for my mom to get home cuz she moved the tube tests and I don't know where they are, once I have those I'll be able to give a more accurate number).

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, here's what I've learned. Water in my area has a super high Ph (like, over 8.8 high). The treated water in the betta tank was reading 6.8 on the last test strip I had (I'm buying more later) and 7.2 on the water test kit that I have. However, when I tried the "high Ph" test which goes from 7.2 to 8.8 it read at or above 8.8. Granted, all of my tanks typically read the same, but... I don't really know what to believe now. I'm going to try testing again later (and since nobody else in the tank ie; my oto and my cherry barbs is acting weird I don't really think it's the water, but I could be wrong).

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to make a general assumption, that the likelihood of your Betta's lack of activity is mainly hiding behavior. In a tank that small with that many barbs would be the cause. Betta are solitary fish, in general, and barbs aren't a good mix with them.

Barbs have been known to harass a Betta to death, as well as rip/tear Betta fins. Remember, there's a pack of them, and only one Betta.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's less hiding and more just letting the filter push/pull him all over the place (I've had to basically scrape him off the filter a good 8 or 9 times today because he just seems too weak/apathetic to remove himself when it catches him) and then floating/sinking when it isn't yanking on him. (I know what he's doing when he's hiding or sleeping. This isn't that.) Also, my barbs don't bother him at all. All 8 of them are VERY peaceful (cherry barbs are apparently, from my research, the most peaceful of all barbs and perfect tankmates for a Betta). They don't bother each other even, let alone Tardis.

Extra Note: If I use my hands to hold him up at the surface for a while, just barely in water, and then let him go he seems to do a little better for a few minutes, but it goes downhill fast. I can't net him very easily and the barbs swarm the net for some reason. (plus it's hard to maneuver it in the tank.)

0 Not allowed!
    What are your other water parameters - like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? - exact readings.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Water: Ph: between 6.2 and 6.8. Total Alkalinity: between 80 and 120 ppm. Total Chlorine: 0 ppm. Total Hardness: 75 ppm. Nitrite: 0 ppm. Nitrate: 0 ppm. Temperature: 76-78 F
    From my first post. Nothing has changed besides the Ph reading, since I got a more accurate number (I think).

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

Also, I noticed that you didn't post your Ammonia readings - just your Nitrite & Nitrate. Can you post your Ammonia readings, as well?
    Last edited by KevinVA; 08-12-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 set of (blue and green) cellophane wrapped LEDs on the side, almost always on (I turned them off last night to let him get some proper rest but..) and a 12 inch T5 hood light built into the tank lid. About 4-5 inches above the foot or so of water in the tank (not filled to top). Also, there's a lot of plants and a pagoda, plus the filter, UV sterilizer, and floating Betta Log so that he can get away from it.

I don't have anything for Ammonia... but like I've said, the tank is fully planted and I've NEVER had an ammonia issue (the strips I used to use read Ammonia as well, but I ran out.)