· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little help?

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    No need to replace the filter or the media. You can rinse everything in conditioned water and put it all back in there as far as I'm concerned. With no fish in there, you can start off with completely new water since future bacterial growth is done primarily in the filter, not the water.

When you say you cycled the tank with bacterial additive, does this mean you cycled with some fish in there or without anything in there? If you had no fish in there, a tank won't cycle at all unless there's a source of ammonia being added (such as pure ammonia, following instructions for a fishless cycle).

If you cycled with fish, it's important to check your water parameters pretty frequently to check the level of ammonia in order to keep it low. Cycling with fish means using the fish's ammonia to grow bacteria (unless you knew this already) and there are different instructions for doing that.
    Thank you! I'll rinse it when I get home. I cycled fishless with pure ammonia, like I said I've been stalking around here and reading everything since I started my ten g. That one I had done a fish cycle and didn't want to do that again..

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, got home and just got the results of my morning testing.
    Ammonia: .05 maybe (color was yellow but the slightest hint of green)
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 2.5 (approximate as the color was about in between)
    PH: 6.6
    No noticeable changes with the tank. Ive been looking for the shrimp because if they're dead I'd like them out.. But no sign. I remember noticing one of them being really active on Wednesday and Thursday, but he was kinda crazy anyways lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Thinking ahead now, I would strongly suggest some live plants. The fish you previously had will appreciate plants, and they do help with water quality. Plus, you can forget "cycling" altogether, as the plants use the ammonia. You just need some fast-growing plants (and here floating plants work best, and are the easiest as well) and start with a few fish and gradually build up.

If your pH is remaining in the 6's this is ideal for plants and soft water fish (which is what you had previously). As you consider new fish down the road, avoid livebearers and any other fish that require moderately-hard and basic (pH above 7) water. Any idea what the GH (general hardness) of your tap water is? This you can find out from the municipal water people, likely on their website.

Still not sure what went wrong here. If the pH has always been below 7, then ammonia is not the issue because in acidic water it changes into ammonium which is basically harmless. The bacteria still use ammonium. Nitrite could have been the issue.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    With nitrates that low, I highly doubt your tank was fully cycled. +1 to above, no need to change filter, just rinse it out and replace.
    The decomp of the pleco makes it hard to say if water quality was the problem. Personally, I would continue on as if you were mid-way thru a cycle seeing as the tank is now empty - dose the tank with ammonia to 2ppm, and next day see what your test results are. The readings you get will let you know the state of your cycle. Skip the additives and conditioners until you know you have a fully established colony of BB.

good luck! I hope the problem really is just an incomplete cycle, otherwise you have a bit more head-scratching in your future figuring it out!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't even think to mention all my floating plants in the tank lol.. I can move a couple plants over from the 10 gallon although I don't really want another fully planted tank, I do see the benefits.
    My PH had been hanging around 7 to 7.2 pretty consistent but I read that driftwood can lower it a bit. I'll have to look into my water, I know I have before but I don't remember exactly what the numbers were (for the GH).

I admit, I don't understand how a tank can go through a cycle, handle 3 fish and 2 ghost shrimp for 2 months, then a Pleco for almost three weeks and then still not be cycled! The tank has been up for almost 4 months now! How could those fish have survived that long in an uncycled tank? I agree though, I'd much rather be dealing with a prolonged cycle than something worse! I'll get the ammonia levels amped up (to 2ppm as suggested) when I get home in the morning and continue waiting patiently for my "perfect" project tank.
    Thank you all for the advise, I love to research, read and get people opinions but I find it hard since there is so much contradiction! With every step it seems there are people telling you that 1 of 50 ways to do something is the ONLY way to do something and most of them seem to have good reasoning behind it. SO you get a gameplan, start things off and then go into your LFS and get told that NOTHING you're trying is going to work and they sit there and fill you full of bull til they make it awkward and I feel like I can't go back in because I didn't take their advise. It's such a fun and rewarding hobby, but I think a lot of people trying to get into it will get scared off by all the misinformation out there.
    Anywho! Sorry for the rant :) Thank again and I'll keep updating to let you know how things are going and if I have any more questions... (I will I'm sure lol)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    *hugs* Sometimes things happen. I fishlessly cycled my tank, and then less than a week after I added the fish, I got an ammonia spike and have had low-level ammonia since then. I'm sorry, I don't have any answers as I'm still trying to figure out my tank. I'm going to replace the filter with a more powerful one, and I'm slowly packing plants into the tank. lol
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I haven't updated but I added ammonia to just about 2ppm, next day tested and it was at 0. Nitrates are back up to about 10ppm. I've since been adding just a little bit of ammonia each day to feed the tank and keep it going. I was just looking around the tank and found BOTH shrimp still alive and they even came out when I threw a couple pellets in lol. What do I do from here?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    *hugs* Sometimes things happen. I fishlessly cycled my tank, and then less than a week after I added the fish, I got an ammonia spike and have had low-level ammonia since then. I'm sorry, I don't have any answers as I'm still trying to figure out my tank. I'm going to replace the filter with a more powerful one, and I'm slowly packing plants into the tank. lol
    I'm sorry to hear your having issues too, hope your able to get everything worked out!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesBunny View Post
    Sorry I haven't updated but I added ammonia to just about 2ppm, next day tested and it was at 0. Nitrates are back up to about 10ppm. I've since been adding just a little bit of ammonia each day to feed the tank and keep it going. I was just looking around the tank and found BOTH shrimp still alive and they even came out when I threw a couple pellets in lol. What do I do from here?
    Why are you adding ammonia? This is not wise with shrimp and plants (and wouldn't be with fish either) in the tank.

Byron.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    Why are you adding ammonia? This is not wise with shrimp and plants (and wouldn't be with fish either) in the tank.

Byron.
    I'm sorry for things being unclear here. I assumed the shrimp dead until this morning when I posted and obviously have not added any since. Still the only plants in my dank are frogbit. I am not concerned with hurting any of that since it has almost overrun my other tank. I was more asking what I should do at this point since things are alive in the tank.