· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

Default Black Pencilfish

0 Not allowed!
    I just saw this fish from TWS, the sales manager says it's a color-morph of the three-lined or Nannostomus trifasciatus. Looks interesting as I'm always looking for something different.

Black Pencilfish.jpg
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-09-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Nannostomus digrammus4.jpg
    It is possible that this is a colour-morph, as the species Nannostomus trifasciatus is polymorphic, as indeed are most (if not all) of the species in this genus. The range of this one species extends over a vast area including the Guyanas and the western Amazon basin in Brazil, Peru, Colombia and Bolivia. The sister species N. beckfordi is known to have several colour morphs that are natural, depending upon the geographic region wherein the populations evolved, and N. marginatus (often confused with N. trifasciatus) was thought to have two morphs but they have now been described as distinct species, N. mortenthaleri and N. rubrocaudatus. This is quite a family of interesting aquarium fish.

As far as I know, there are red splashes in the fins of N. trifasciatus, and this isn't clear in the photo. The photo is small (doesn't enlarge when clicked) so I can't see much with my old eyes, but I would suggest it might actually be N. digrammus, photo attached. I had a group of these a couple years ago, they arrived as a by-catch with some wild rummynose tetra.

The great American ichthyologist Dr. Stanley Weitzman did his doctorate at Stanford on the pencilfish, and has to date contributed the most data to the literature. His reclassification (with Cobb) can be accessed here if interested:

http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon.../sctz-0186.pdf

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a cool looking little fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the information and link Kermit. I thought they might be Nannostomus marylinae but the source sells them as a seperate species.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

0 Not allowed!
    I think Kermit's probably right

0 Not allowed!
    This may be of interest. I was just checking in with the new ichthyological papers, and found one by Dr. Axel Zarske describing a new species of pencilfish closely related to N. trifasciatus. Dr. Zarske has named it Nannostomus nigrotaeniatus and there are some splendid colour photos of the fish in his paper, which is free here:
    http://www.senckenberg.de/files/cont...ke_preview.pdf

The paper is in German, but the Abstract is in English (and French), and the photos can be enjoyed in any language.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Nice find, Byron so many more species being found all the time. N. nigrotaeniatus looks more like fish in my original post.

Off-topic, what do you know about the Bleeding blue tetra (Hyphessobrycon sp.)?

Last edited by steeler58; 08-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    -Vince Lombardi

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Nice find, Byron so many more species being found all the time. N. nigrotaeniatus looks more like fish in my original post.

Off-topic, what do you know about the Bleeding blue tetra (Hyphessobrycon sp.)?

At first glance those look like Hyphessobrycon metae, sort of; photos online of H. metae are not always reliable, and they vary a lot. This species tends to have the faintest blue tips to the fins. I have had a small group of this species for five years now; they are not all that common.

I did a Google on the common name and found a thread from last year in which you asked this, mentioning "Caracoides fargo." I know this is not valid, there is no genus Characoides according to the CAS database run by Dr. Eschmeyer and he is very reliable; no idea who may have made this up, but Characoid refers to characid of course. Hyphessobrycon sp. is probably "accurate," if this is a new species as yet undescribed. I think I mentioned in another thread about the new species being temporarily placed in this catch-all genus. The characteristics used by Durbin in 1908 (who is credited with naming the genus, which originally was a subgenus of Hemigrammus) were not all that distinctive, and Gery (1977) improved them a bit. But all that was prior to the knowledge of DNA which has changed everything.

Peru is not surprising as the source. The three species H. metae, H. peruvianus and H. loretoensis all occur in relatively close proximity and are very similar, and frequently mixed up in photos even in books from 2-3 decades ago.

There is Hyphessobrycon nigricinctus Zarske & Gery 2004, discussed and pictured here:
    http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm
    and this seems to be closely related again, if not the fish in question.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I thought of Hyphessobrycon metae too, but most photo's don't quite match up like you said.

I've suspected it to be Hyphessobrycon nigricinctus also.

One things for sure, it's a very desirable fish. I'd ask you where you got your's but you being in Canada, it probably would not help me, LOL.

Always nice to see more information on the rarer species, Thanks much.
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-13-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    -Vince Lombardi