· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    I have no idea what the subfloor is. Carpet over something. The stand will be going up against an outside wall, though.
    What floor level then? If it's the ground floor, is there a basement or crawlspace underneath?
    Probably doesn't matter as you don't have that many tanks on it (yet) but would be nice to know.

how will I know what is standard and what isn't?
    Most drills have jaws that can grip just about anything that fits inside. The bigger diameter it can handle, the better.
    Don't get something that only accepts one shape/size of shank.

Would this idea work? I'm sorta basing it off of Uarujoey's basic tank stand, but adding another guide/brace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psad68f0b7.jpg

So, there would be four big pieces and four braces that run all the way up the stand once assembled. The bottom piece is just four 2x4s put together, with a piece of plywood nailed to the top (with holes cut out of the corners for the shelf height guides and the full-height braces to go through.). Then there would be three shelf sections... Each would have a height guide that would attach to the frame outline, and then under the frame would be the actual supports (two for each corner) that would bear the weight of what's put on the shelf, and they would also be covered with plywood that had the same notches cut out.

Assembling the stand would be slotting the bottom shelf into the base, sliding in the full-height bracers, and then bolting the supporting legs of each side to the bracers from the sides. After that I would figure out some kind of wrapping that would go around the stand... I'm thinking somehow attaching plywood to the sides, and then doing the front the same way I was planning with the metal stand.

Is that workable? Or would it be unstable?
    Not sure what you are talking about, if I understand correctly you're building it in sections and stacking them together? So could easily change the height depending on how many you stack?
    If so that's better than what I was thinking of, which was copying Sandz's design except using bolts to attach the shelves to the legs. And either adding some diagonal pieces or plywood for stiffness.
    Your design costs a little bit more material, but really it's next to nothing overall. If it makes you happy that's what counts.

Would wait for Sandz and others to weigh in.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    What floor level then? If it's the ground floor, is there a basement or crawlspace underneath?
    Probably doesn't matter as you don't have that many tanks on it (yet) but would be nice to know.
    It's the only floor, with a crawlspace under the house. I've never been in the crawlspace.

Most drills have jaws that can grip just about anything that fits inside. The bigger diameter it can handle, the better.
    Don't get something that only accepts one shape/size of shank.
    I'll be sure to look for that. My friend taught me how to use his drill when I was over there today, drilling pipes for the filter I"m working on.

Not sure what you are talking about, if I understand correctly you're building it in sections and stacking them together? So could easily change the height depending on how many you stack?
    If so that's better than what I was thinking of, which was copying Sandz's design except using bolts to attach the shelves to the legs. And either adding some diagonal pieces or plywood for stiffness.
    Your design costs a little bit more material, but really it's next to nothing overall. If it makes you happy that's what counts.
    It would be like tables stacked on top of each other with holes in the corners so that a full-height 2x4 would run up, and all of the legs would get bolted to them. I forgot to mention it, but there would likely be one or two braces running under the plywood to keep the shelf top from bowing.

Would wait for Sandz and others to weigh in.
    Definitely! I know I don't know enough to know if this would be safe/stable.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank