· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Those look like very good products! Do you know if they're sold in sizes smaller than one gallon? That is quite a lot of money to sink in just for one project.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they do come in the 1 qt sizes.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh good. They're only showing the 1 gallons on their website, and the price for 1 gallon of each would pretty much kill any savings for a single DIY project.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about that, yes I meant you can get it all cut to the sizes you need and put it together with what tools you already got.

Alternatively you can prefabricate parts of it at your friend's house and then put the parts together at home.

I just felt like I did more work and spent more money than necessary, for less strength too going with the shelving unit and would therefore warn against it for a diy tank stand. It just didn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

The shelves would be the most work, after that it's just legs (and cross braces if you like). The cheap heavy duty shelving doesn't have cross braces, I wouldn't trust it in an earthquake prone area. I know on mine it said "supports XXXX pounds*" and the stuff after the asterisk said stuff like "YYYY pounds per shelf, evenly distributed, gravity load only blablabla, not our responsibility if it rusts blablabla"

Need cross braces and/or securely attach to the wall to keep it from swaying.

Also might want to remove rust and repaint especially if you get it used. Spray paint is about $5/can for the good stuff, you'll need several cans, the number will vary depending on how good you are with it. Personally I'd have need 6 cans if I didn't make any mistakes, that's at least $30 right there. (I made mistakes and needed quite a bit more). Coverage of spray paint on long, narrow objects sucks so you won't get anywhere near the stated coverage on the can.
    And if you can't do it outside or in a very well ventilated area, you'll also need an organic vapors respirator ($25).

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    My idea when I saw the heavy-duty shelving was something along these lines:

It's a rough sketch. I'm not sure how much room above the tanks I'd need to perform maintenance and attach things like lighting. (I know that theoretically lighting can just sit ontop of an acrylic top, but I'd like to have it a bit higher so that I can have them running while I work in the aquarium so that I have enough light to actually see what I'm doing. The room the tanks will be in doesn't have that much light.) And my thought was to put plywood panels on the sides, taking advantage of the holes in the legs to make it so that they just slid and hang on, rather than being permanently attached. And then there would be wood panels on the front to hid the fronts of the shelves, and then add curtains to them that could be opened or closed as needed (if I needed to darken a tank for new inhabitants, for instance, or to hid an unfilled tank). I'm even thinking about having either a plywood or fabric back. Fabric would add some breathability to the stand, while still hiding power cords and the like.

I have all but the 10 gallon tank. That one is subject to change and is a project for waaaaaay in the future. I have the 29 gal tank, but it's also a project for the future. I'm working on setting up the 8 gallon in a temporary location, and once that's done, the hex will be fixed up and added in to the system.

Part of the reason why I liked the idea of the shelving unit was because it could be broken down into easily-transportable pieces. Not just for building purposes, but also because I know I won't live at my current location forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    Sorry about that, yes I meant you can get it all cut to the sizes you need and put it together with what tools you already got.
    I'm sorry for blowing up at you. I'm so used to everyone offering DIY tutorials automatically assuming that those following have power tools that it just seems like the assumption is always there unless otherwise stated. That in no way justifies my post.

Alternatively you can prefabricate parts of it at your friend's house and then put the parts together at home.

I just felt like I did more work and spent more money than necessary, for less strength too going with the shelving unit and would therefore warn against it for a diy tank stand. It just didn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

The shelves would be the most work, after that it's just legs (and cross braces if you like). The cheap heavy duty shelving doesn't have cross braces, I wouldn't trust it in an earthquake prone area. I know on mine it said "supports XXXX pounds*" and the stuff after the asterisk said stuff like "YYYY pounds per shelf, evenly distributed, gravity load only blablabla, not our responsibility if it rusts blablabla"

Need cross braces and/or securely attach to the wall to keep it from swaying.

Also might want to remove rust and repaint especially if you get it used. Spray paint is about $5/can for the good stuff, you'll need several cans, the number will vary depending on how good you are with it. Personally I'd have need 6 cans if I didn't make any mistakes, that's at least $30 right there. (I made mistakes and needed quite a bit more). Coverage of spray paint on long, narrow objects sucks so you won't get anywhere near the stated coverage on the can.
    And if you can't do it outside or in a very well ventilated area, you'll also need an organic vapors respirator ($25).
    Thank you for your insights on going with a shelving unit. Some of them are things that I hadn't considered.

As far as securing for earthquakes, my idea was to use a set of furniture earthquake straps to attach the stand to studs in the wall, and then use multi-purpose straps to secure the tanks (especially the larger ones) to the stand.

And finding a place to paint will be an issue. There's leaves and needles from trees everywhere outside around the house, and I can't leave stuff out front overnight anyways. Well, I can, but I risk it not being there the next day. I have an enclosed patio, but that is pretty much filled with junk and has a carpet floor... Not to mention I don't have a large fan that can be put in there to blow out the fumes. Inside the house propper is even less attractive... Not only would I need a respirator, but I have cats. lol My best option would likely be out back... There's a long patio table I can clear off and cover with newspaper or something, and there is a canopy, though it doesn't do a lot of good.

ETA: Sorry, it had double-posted. :)
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-10-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    My idea when I saw the heavy-duty shelving was something along these lines:
    MTS lol

It's a rough sketch. I'm not sure how much room above the tanks I'd need to perform maintenance and attach things like lighting.
    Not enough. Assuming a normal 8ft ceiling it would be very cramped. Not worth it unless you're an LFS or something.

And my thought was to put plywood panels on the sides, taking advantage of the holes in the legs to make it so that they just slid and hang on, rather than being permanently attached. And then there would be wood panels on the front to hid the fronts of the shelves, and then add curtains to them that could be opened or closed as needed (if I needed to darken a tank for new inhabitants, for instance, or to hid an unfilled tank). I'm even thinking about having either a plywood or fabric back. Fabric would add some breathability to the stand, while still hiding power cords and the like.
    You can screw hooks into wood. Very cheap.

Part of the reason why I liked the idea of the shelving unit was because it could be broken down into easily-transportable pieces. Not just for building purposes, but also because I know I won't live at my current location forever.
    Bolt it together, can unbolt when need to move. (You said you have wrenches)

I'm sorry for blowing up at you. I'm so used to everyone offering DIY tutorials automatically assuming that those following have power tools that it just seems like the assumption is always there unless otherwise stated.
    No prob, I get irritated too when I see a "diy" video and the guy has a huge table saw or something. That's pro territory already.

Sorry I am not familiar with earthquake straps.

To me the only power tool absolutely necessary is the electric drill. Try wait for Black Friday and get yourself a nice drill set. (a plug in one, NOT cordless because the replacement batteries are *** expensive ***).
    Hide it under your bed or something.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    MTS lol
    Ooooh yeah. I'm rather susceptible to syndromes like MTS. lol

Not enough. Assuming a normal 8ft ceiling it would be very cramped. Not worth it unless you're an LFS or something.
    I do like the look of having the tanks all stacked together like that. What would you suggest? Having just the tanks in a vertical column, and then the sump filters in another pieces next to it? Possibly like this?

You can screw hooks into wood. Very cheap.
    Oh, I have plenty of ideas on how that could work. LOL Screw-in hooks, or even 3M adhesive hooks, or other ways. (I love 3M adhesive hooks.)

Bolt it together, can unbolt when need to move. (You said you have wrenches)
    How would that work with an all-wood stand? I can't seem to picture it. I can only sorta-imagine how to make one that doesn't come apart. I also can't imagine how to hide the bolts. All I can imagine are these large bolt heads sticking out, which is unsightly and dangerous for a clumsy person. Heh.

No prob, I get irritated too when I see a "diy" video and the guy has a huge table saw or something. That's pro territory already.
    Oh yeah. It's crazy. Heh.

Sorry I am not familiar with earthquake straps.
    I'm not terribly familiar with them myself, but I saw a video on aquariums and earthquake safety, and they were using straps to secure the tanks in the comparison of secured-to-not. A quick google search later lead me to those.

To me the only power tool absolutely necessary is the electric drill. Try wait for Black Friday and get yourself a nice drill set. (a plug in one, NOT cordless because the replacement batteries are *** expensive ***).
    Hide it under your bed or something.
    My dad has a cordless set, where the battery fits both the drill and the saw, and his drill has a nifty little flip-attachment where the drill and the matching screwhead are on opposite ends of the bit, and he just needs to do a little flip-and-lock to switch between the two. The battery also runs out while you're in the middle of working and takes forever to charge... The only benefit I can see is that it allows you to work where trying to get a power cord out is a difficult challenge.

I'll try to keep an eye out for sales, see if one goes down into my price range.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do like the look of having the tanks all stacked together like that. What would you suggest? Having just the tanks in a vertical column, and then the sump filters in another pieces next to it? Possibly like this?
    I don't know the layout of your room but there isn't anything in the way that could work.
    On another thought, what kind of subfloor do you have?

How would that work with an all-wood stand? I can't seem to picture it. I can only sorta-imagine how to make one that doesn't come apart. I also can't imagine how to hide the bolts. All I can imagine are these large bolt heads sticking out, which is unsightly and dangerous for a clumsy person. Heh.
    Counterbore the bolt heads?
    http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip082500wb.html

My dad has a cordless set, where the battery fits both the drill and the saw, and his drill has a nifty little flip-attachment where the drill and the matching screwhead are on opposite ends of the bit, and he just needs to do a little flip-and-lock to switch between the two. The battery also runs out while you're in the middle of working and takes forever to charge... The only benefit I can see is that it allows you to work where trying to get a power cord out is a difficult challenge.
    Keep it simple. Less stuff to fail. Just make sure it doesn't have a nonstandard chuck which forces you to buy the manufacturers own drill bits.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Ooooh yeah. I'm rather susceptible to syndromes like MTS. lol
    Ain't we all!?
    I'll try to keep an eye out for sales, see if one goes down into my price range.
    Y0u can always g0 t0 pawn sh0ps and thrift st0res t0 check 0ut inexpensive t00ls, a drill sh0uldn't c0st m0re than 30 bux 0r s0. G00d luck 0n all this.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know the layout of your room but there isn't anything in the way that could work.
    On another thought, what kind of subfloor do you have?
    I have to rearrange the room anyways, to get a stand in there. lol

I have no idea what the subfloor is. Carpet over something. The stand will be going up against an outside wall, though.

Neat site! I'll have to pour over it for more information.

Keep it simple. Less stuff to fail. Just make sure it doesn't have a nonstandard chuck which forces you to buy the manufacturers own drill bits.
    KISS principle, huh? lol And how will I know what is standard and what isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Ain't we all!?
    I'm more than most. LOL I know I have hoarder tendencies (from my grandfather and father), and I have tons of hobbies and when I get in a new one, I throw myself into it entirely... A very bad combo when it comes to dealing with MTS.

Y0u can always g0 t0 pawn sh0ps and thrift st0res t0 check 0ut inexpensive t00ls, a drill sh0uldn't c0st m0re than 30 bux 0r s0. G00d luck 0n all this.
    I'll be sure to look!

...And I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to build a wood stand that comes apart. Making every join come apart seems impractical...

Would this idea work? I'm sorta basing it off of Uarujoey's basic tank stand, but adding another guide/brace.

So, there would be four big pieces and four braces that run all the way up the stand once assembled. The bottom piece is just four 2x4s put together, with a piece of plywood nailed to the top (with holes cut out of the corners for the shelf height guides and the full-height braces to go through.). Then there would be three shelf sections... Each would have a height guide that would attach to the frame outline, and then under the frame would be the actual supports (two for each corner) that would bear the weight of what's put on the shelf, and they would also be covered with plywood that had the same notches cut out.

Assembling the stand would be slotting the bottom shelf into the base, sliding in the full-height bracers, and then bolting the supporting legs of each side to the bracers from the sides. After that I would figure out some kind of wrapping that would go around the stand... I'm thinking somehow attaching plywood to the sides, and then doing the front the same way I was planning with the metal stand.

Is that workable? Or would it be unstable?
    1. 2. (No Picture)