· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Just build to your spec's man... this is what I did with a few 2x4's and some plywood... cost is a quarter what you are looking at and you just anchor to the studs in your wall

FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Just build to your spec's man... this is what I did with a few 2x4's and some plywood... cost is a quarter what you are looking at and you just anchor to the studs in your wall
    I have my reasons for not wanting to build from scratch. Some that have been hashed over in other threads, and some that I don't want to post for personal reasons. That's why I was looking at pre-built shelving units. When I first posted asking about wire units, I was told to look at heavy-duty ones instead. So I have been, and I've been watching CL for ones that match the size that I'm looking at but are cheaper than buying directly from the store. No one had raised concerns about the heavy duty shelving units until I posted this thread with my concerns about the the particleboard on the shelves.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Solid wood instead of particleboard shelves???

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    I have my reasons for not wanting to build from scratch. Some that have been hashed over in other threads, and some that I don't want to post for personal reasons. That's why I was looking at pre-built shelving units. When I first posted asking about wire units, I was told to look at heavy-duty ones instead. So I have been, and I've been watching CL for ones that match the size that I'm looking at but are cheaper than buying directly from the store. No one had raised concerns about the heavy duty shelving units until I posted this thread with my concerns about the the particleboard on the shelves.
    It wasn't a concern until you said that your tank footprint is smaller than the shelf. That's what makes the particleboard shelf the wrong choice.

I would like to hear from other members with construction know-how about using the shelving unit, but with solid wood shelves instead of the particleboard.

Anyone have any ideas????
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Well i guess you CAN get the shelving, use 3/4in stained and sealed plywood for the base instead of the particle board that will deteriorate after wet. You can also plan the depth of the stand to match what you need with a simple grinder and then drill a lag bolt through to make an attach point.. idk if thats out of the question too..
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    It wasn't a concern until you said that your tank footprint is smaller than the shelf. That's what makes the particleboard shelf the wrong choice.

I would like to hear from other members with construction know-how about using the shelving unit, but with solid wood shelves instead of the particleboard.

Anyone have any ideas????
    I know I would have mentioned the difference between the two footprints, but maybe it was just missed. It's easy to gloss over details like that.

Yeah, I was wondering if something like that would work. I doubted the particle board itself would stand up. Maybe with some 2x4 beams attached as bracers? One going alone the length and maybe two going along the width, notched together and with the plywood screwed to the narrow side Wouldn't be able to attach the bracers to the metal frame, but it still might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Well i guess you CAN get the shelving, use 3/4in stained and sealed plywood for the base instead of the particle board that will deteriorate after wet. You can also plan the depth of the stand to match what you need with a simple grinder and then drill a lag bolt through to make an attach point.. idk if thats out of the question too..
    One of the issues is that I don't have many tools myself, and buying or renting them are out of the question. I have a wonderful friend who has offered to help me with some projects, but I don't feel comfortable bringing his tools to my place (so any projects have to be small and easily portable in a compact car), and I don't know what he has beyond "saws" and "drills". As far as tools that I do have... Well, there's a hammer (that I'm not really good with, so whatever I hammer gets round marks from the head), and I have pvc pipe cutters, and a handheld screwdriver. There's a garage full of tools, but my dad took the working ones that I had a chance of figuring out with him when he moved out.

And would the wood need staining if I wanted it painted black? Or what would be the sealant/paint combo for that?
    1. 2. (No Picture)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If particle board gets wet it puffs up and just falls apart.

The stand for my 125 gallon is made from a heavily modified shelving unit, however I could have built it faster, stronger, and cheaper if I did it from scratch using wood. I went with the shelving unit because originally the tank was intended to be outside, and I didn't want any wood touching the ground due to risk of attack by termites, rot, etc. And I built the tank to fit the stand. (For the construction see my journal thread.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=42413
    )
    But I can't recommend it. The procedure I used to seal the particleboard is no longer possible because methyl ethyl ketone has been banned in California. It's not available anywhere even outside cali because that state was the biggest market or something like that. Hardware stores will try to sell you "MEK substitute" but I read that it doesn't actually work.

If you're going to make marine plywood shelves with wood reinforcement might as well build the whole thing out of wood anyway.

Get all your wood cut at the store and it should be able to fit in car.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    If particle board gets wet it puffs up and just falls apart.
    That's why I was concerned when I saw that particleboard WAS the shelf, and not just a covering.

The stand for my 125 gallon is made from a heavily modified shelving unit, however I could have built it faster, stronger, and cheaper if I did it from scratch using wood. I went with the shelving unit because originally the tank was intended to be outside, and I didn't want any wood touching the ground due to risk of attack by termites, rot, etc. And I built the tank to fit the stand. (For the construction see my journal thread.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=42413
    )
    But I can't recommend it. The procedure I used to seal the particleboard is no longer possible because methyl ethyl ketone has been banned in California. It's not available anywhere even outside cali because that state was the biggest market or something like that. Hardware stores will try to sell you "MEK substitute" but I read that it doesn't actually work.

If you're going to make marine plywood shelves with wood reinforcement might as well build the whole thing out of wood anyway.

Get all your wood cut at the store and it should be able to fit in car.
    What part of "I don't have the tools here" is not understandable? Plywood shelves and beams to make the supports I can put in my car to take to my friend's house. I cannot fit a full-sized stand in my car, much less one made for multiple tanks. And I have other reasons that I don't necessarily need to clutter up the thread with because they involve tons of baggage.

I'm sorry that the previous paragraph is a bit harsh. However, I'm getting a bit frustrated with a lot of what's going on with my tanks (both a DIY filter project and other issues I'm having with water quality). Telling me I should do something that I already stated I don't have the tools to do and can't get them just piles on the frustration. The only tools I have at the house I live in are manual hand tools. A hammer, a basic screwdriver, a pipe cutter. If it requires a power tool, it needs to be able to fit in a compact car, which a tall, multi-tank stand does not do.

I would love to build my stand completely from scratch, honestly I would. However, I'm not seeing any way for that to happen.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Try not to get frustrated, everyone is trying to help you

I believe what BIO-Linist was suggesting was to get all the wood that you would need cut to size at the store. Most Home Depots will do that for you. Then (with the tools you have stated you have at home) you can glue & nail it together, give it a few coats of sealer and paint, and your done. No power tools required at all

If you are not comfortable with that, Sandz gave a different option/suggest to get a pc of 3/4 inch plywood cut to fit over the particle board. Home Depot should be able to cut that for you as well. This would be even easier as all you would have do to is give it a few coats of sealer and paint.

I can suggest some sealers and paint the should be available in stores like Home Depot or Lowes if you would like.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Try not to get frustrated, everyone is trying to help you
    Thank you. I'm truly sorry for it. This is the least-urgent of the help-seeking threads I have going, so I really shouldn't be getting so worked up. I have quite a bit of stress going on between tank-issues and unrelated issues, that I think I just hit my breaking point while reading this thread.

I believe what BIO-Linist was suggesting was to get all the wood that you would need cut to size at the store. Most Home Depots will do that for you. Then (with the tools you have stated you have at home) you can glue & nail it together, give it a few coats of sealer and paint, and your done. No power tools required at all
    When I use a hammer... Out of four swings, I hit the nail once. And often it's a glancing blow. I'm truly horrible with it. Last time I used it, I was setting grommets in fabric. I went out and looked... And yeah, it looks like everything else out there is either wrenches, socket wrenches, or it's something that I have no idea how to work and may not be in workable condition either.

And as far as nailing things together... I had always been told that you needed to pre-drill holes to prevent splitting, for either nails or screws. And the few times I've "helped" (read: watched, and occasionally held something in place for him) my dad, he would pre-drill everything... and even then would sometimes get some splitting and cracking.

If you are not comfortable with that, Sandz gave a different option/suggest to get a pc of 3/4 inch plywood cut to fit over the particle board. Home Depot should be able to cut that for you as well. This would be even easier as all you would have do to is give it a few coats of sealer and paint.
    I thought the idea of using plywood was interesting as well. Either ontop of the particle board, or using something else to stiffen it and prevent sagging.

I can suggest some sealers and paint the should be available in stores like Home Depot or Lowes if you would like.
    That would be really helpful, thank you.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    The below primer sealer is one of the best that I have used. I have used it on many different projects including tanks stands. I would suggest two coats with about 12 hours of curing/drying time in between coats.

http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.j...00176310acRCRD

The below paint is also one of the best water based paints that I have used. I would suggest three coats with 12 hours of curing / drying time in between coats and a additional 24 hours of curing time after the last coat. I used this paint on the last canopy that I built for one of my reef tanks and I have found it stand up to moisture better than most of the oil based paints that I have used in the past.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Exter...#/?c=1&c2l=c2l

Using these two products will give you just as much protection as most resin based paints at a lower cost and without having to use a paint with harsh chemicals.
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]