· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Questions about heavy-duty shelving

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm planning on getting some heavy-duty shelving to use as a tank stand (something like this), and it says it has particle board shelves.

And yet it claims it can hold up to 800lbs per shelf. How does it do that without sagging? I know that on every tank stand-building tutorials I've seen they've said not to use particle board because it sags.

Also, since the shelves themselves are wood... Can they be drilled to allow for plumbing, or would that compromise the strength of the shelf too much?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    So, I'm planning on getting some heavy-duty shelving to use as a tank stand (something like this), and it says it has particle board shelves.

And yet it claims it can hold up to 800lbs per shelf. How does it do that without sagging? I know that on every tank stand-building tutorials I've seen they've said not to use particle board because it sags.

Also, since the shelves themselves are wood... Can they be drilled to allow for plumbing, or would that compromise the strength of the shelf too much?
    It's the metal shelving unit frame that supports the tank, not the shelf itself. Tanks are supported by the bottom tank frame - that is the only part that needs to be supported. You can have no shelf and the metal frame will support the tank. The shelf adds a lot of stability to the shelving unit, so it should be used. Doesn't matter if it's particle board - most shelves in those units are.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Except that the only shelving units around here are larger than the tank itself, by about 6" length-wise and 4" deep. And on one of the higher shelves, I was going to have smaller tanks, two on one shelf.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I may not know a whole lot about alot of stuff but I know for a fact that those style shelves with that type board WILL sag after a time , especially after they get wet a few times. If you were to cover the platforms from edge to edge all around , front to back and side to side with another layer you could possibly be safe awhile longer but I wouldn't trust it . I'm responding because I wouldn't want to hear about your aquarium tower collapsing on you . It will sag even with the metal edges . JUST MY OPINION.
    Last edited by eltylT; 08-08-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ +1, I would not trust it either
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    I may not know a whole lot about alot of stuff but I know for a fact that those style shelves with that type board WILL sag after a time , especially after they get wet a few times. If you were to cover the platforms from edge to edge all around , front to back and side to side with another layer you could possibly be safe awhile longer but I wouldn't trust it . I'm responding because I wouldn't want to hear about your aquarium tower collapsing on you . It will sag even with the metal edges .
    I totally agree with the above. If your tank dimensions are not the same as the shelf, I would not put a tank, especially not more than one, on just the particle board shelf.

What size tanks are we talking about? Maybe you could use solid wood boards as your shelves - does someone else have an opinion on that?
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, at first I had thought it was particle board covered shelves, with metal running all along the bottom, and the wood just providing a barrier between the metal and whatever was being placed upon it. But then I saw one that was actually on the floor where I could examine it yesterday (instead of being placed on a display above my head), and it only had a metal rim that the particle board sat on, which concerned me.

On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to drill for plumbing, and not have the stand several inches away from the wall. On the other hand... Well, I don't want the shelves to sag.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the ones I had been looking at (and the smallest I can find) have a 36"x18" footprint. The largest tank I have is 30"x12" IIRC (a 29 gallon tank). I did see one on CL that was larger than I'd like (48"x24"), but it does have a metal brace going across the center of the shelf...
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    FYI - here is a photo of a 90 gal tank on a metal tank stand with no shelf. The tank is supported only by the upper metal frame of the stand, just like it would be on the heavy duty shelving unit. Thanks, FinalJenemba, for letting me use your photo.

IMG_0360.JPG

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    FYI - here is a photo of a 90 gal tank on a metal tank stand with no shelf. The tank is supported only by the upper metal frame of the stand, just like it would be on the heavy duty shelving unit. Thanks, FinalJenemba, for letting me use your photo.
    That works great for purpose-built stands. However, as I have pointed out... The shelving units I have been able to find locally have a footprint several inches larger in both directions than my largest tank. Not to mention that they're 50"-72" tall. That height makes putting a tank on top both impractical and unsafe. Between cats, clumsiness, and earthquakes, it would be all too easy to send a tall tank that high up crashing to the ground. (And yes, earthquakes CAN send tanks toppling. It's a matter of the way the earthquake moves the area, the mass of the stand, and mass and center of gravity of the tank.)

Part of the point of looking at the shelving units was that I would be able to house multiple tanks in one stand. I have three tanks currently empty (two of which I'm hoping to set up in the near future, the largest of which I'm waiting to set up). I want to be able to house those tanks, plus possibly one or two more, with this stand.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-09-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)