· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Tetras not really eating

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 neon tetras and 2 bloodfin tetras. I've had them for a while and I noticed they never really seem hungry. My feeding schedule is never really the same and I'm not sure if that's the problem. But even when I do feed them they never really seem to notice it's there. I fed them some frozen baby brine shrimp tonight and people usually say they go crazy for it, but mine didn't really seem like that. They were swimming around really fast but swam past the shrimp and started picking at the bottom of the tank and at the decorations. It's like they were having trouble finding it, I'm not sure. They just don't seem crazy about food. They all look healthy, one of my bloodfin looks a little skinnier than the other but the rest look fine. The water is fine, they have a few live plants to hide in, if you look at my avatar that is what my tank looks like. They never really hide though, only at night.

Do you think having a better set schedule for feeding would help? I don't want to overfeed.

Thank in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    I think your mix of fish is so bad that they may be stressed enough to not eat very much. Of course there could be other things wrong.

0 Not allowed!
    A ten gallon tank is a little small for schooling fish, which is likely causing stress. If the tank is cycled, I would recommend perhaps bringing the bloodfins back to the store, and upping the number of neons. Neons are particularly unhappy in tiny groups, and need a rather larger number to feel secure. You could safely have nine or ten in a ten gallon, if that is the only fish you have in there. Stressed fish will not eat.

Make sure all water testing parameters are correct as well.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick replies. That was what I assumed in the back of my head, I've had them all for about 5-6 months. So I can't return them. However I did have success giving up two of my Bumblebee Platys to a nice guy on Craigslist since one of them was pregnant. I might have to consider that, I do like the way the neons look against my black substrate.

I do have one mystery snail and two Otocinclus which are doing fine. I'll have my water tested just in case.

How often do you recommend feeding neons?

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Tiari. Neons alone will be OK. Add some more plants [I can't expand the photo to see more, but there is only one sword plant I think]. A few more plants including some floating will help. Tetra, like most all characins, come from very dim lit waters, shaded by overhanging vegetation, or floating plants (where sun reaches the water). Characins do not appreciate bright overhead light. Some good plants would be the pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum) as these are easy and their light green will complement the darker green of the larger sword. Floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is also easy. Brazilian Pennywort is a stem plant but does very well left floating.

I only feed once a day, and in the morning or early part of the day for the fish is best. Wait at least 30 minutes after the tank light comes on before feeding so the fish have sufficient time to adjust their eyes and not be stressed. Don't feed before a water change or major disturbance; you can miss a day a week with no problem. Some tetra are not big eaters, some are. One flake will provide sufficient nourishment for a fish, so don't feed too much.

One other thing I'll mention, is temperature. Neons prefer slightly cooler temperatures than some tropicals. I would not have the tank above 76-77F, and around 75F would be good. Among other reasons, digestion is easier at lower temperatures because the fish is not using extra energy for its homeostasis (internal balance functions) as it must do with rising temperatures.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-08-2013 at 12:57 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't worry about getting money from the blood fins. Perhaps they store will just take them for free or give them to someone. And increase the neons. The tank is really too small for anything but a nice sized school of neons and perhaps a few shrimp (if you wanted more of something.) Or an apple snail. Could be you are trying to feed them too much and too often. A pinch of food once a day is enough for those fish.

Are you doing weekly water changes? Perhaps since they aren't eating the brine shrimp, it's fouling the water? If they aren't wanting it, stop feeding it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some stores, even chains will let you trade similarly priced fish. Might be able to do 1 for 1 on the BF and neons.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with getting rid of the Bloodfin tetras and going for more Neons. When I got rid of my Bumblebees I posted on Craigslist for free with a lot of responses surprisingly. The tank is set at 78 degrees so I will lower that.

I have been doing weekly water changes. I have one sword and one Anubias Afezlii and just bought an Argentine Sword. I know they have floating plants at my Petco. I'll also ask about trading in the fish as that would be easier than Craigslist.

I just started feeding the Brine Shrimp yesterday, and the tank was cleaned intensively recently. I do think going for purely Neons would be a good plan.

0 Not allowed!
    Please keep in mind when feeding the brine shrimp that once you put some in the tank, watch to make sure it's eaten before putting more in. If your fish aren't eating, it's possible the leftovers are laying in the tank rotting.

Also, if you are looking to keep this tank going, it would be in your best interest to get your own testing kit instead of bringing water to a local store - stores usually use test strips and will generally tell you your water is "fine" even if it isn't - you need to check your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites & nitrates), especially if the fish aren't eating.

Like the others said above, schooling fish can get stressed when there aren't enough of them in a tank together, but poor water parameters can also contribute to stress.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies