· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick betta

Default sick betta

0 Not allowed!
    hi,
    my betta has not been well lately.
    he is "sleeping" on its side 95% of the time.
    the other 5% he is swimming normaly.
    also just past and under his gills his scales are white. (he is dark blue)
    he is in a 10 gallon tank alone.
    the parameters are
    ammonia:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:5
    the only thing that could have caused it is the heater being off for a day or 2 because i forgot to plug it back in.
    the temp in the day is about 25-29 degress. at night it is about 16-20.
    so idk if that caused it.
    what should i do
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    Little help?
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a heater, how is it there's so much temp fluctuation? And throughout the day? That can cause stress to a fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    no no no, the weather in my room was that temperture.
    so for 2 days there were some slow temp swings since i forgot to plug my heater back in after a water change.
    right now the temp is always at 81 constantly

0 Not allowed!
    There are a few questions, sorry I'm a little late to getting to your query!

How old is this Betta? Is he still eating? Does he get up and swim around occasionally, then rest on the bottom for long time periods? Where did you get the Betta, how long have you had him? How many hiding places in the tank.

I ask these questions because, as a long time Betta keeper, I have twice in the past few years had two Betta who, despite perfect optimal conditions, have succumbed to precisely what you are describing. These two Betta began behaving abnormally, lying about the bottom twisted, nose down or on their side, and refused to eat. Their lack of eating eventually (over two months or so) had them deteriorate, and then exhibit signs of other illness (fin rot/fungus). The Betta did not seem stressed, in fact, after great scrutiny I could not discern a particular ailment on the onset of any kind. In fact, I have one Betta right now exhibiting these same characteristics, again, and as an experienced Betta keeper, I am at a loss as to what causes this. I've never seen it before in years and years of keeping Betta. There is just no discernible ailment, and pre-emptive treatments for parasites, bacterial infections and the like, have yielded zero results.

One thing that was apparent, their gill edge had turned silvery in nature, but not the same metallic syndrome as Velvet. Frankly, I'd never seen that before except in extremely old Betta.

We may not be dealing with the same thing, but a few things of note that could be the cause.

Extreme boredom: Yes, Betta get bored. They can actually get quite depressed if they aren't stimulated. This doesn't mean to flood the tank with mirrors, but often, placing brightly colored items next to the tank for an hour or so a day, and rotating them with new items, can be very helpful.

Unknown ailment: As I stated earlier, I simply have no clue what is causing these symptoms. It may be an as yet unknown ailment in the Betta population, or, it could also be bad breeding/over breeding. My initial postulation was gill flukes, which it could indeed be. However treatments for such yield no results, and this ailment has occurred on isolated specimens who have been well over a year old established and who do not have access to live foods and only on pelleted nutrition.

Unknown contamination of the water: This means what it sounds like. Something in the water supply is not kosher. This is a stretch, but its possible. Anything from insufficient rinsing of hands before placing them in the tank, to something that got into the tap water supply. This is a stretch....... but possible.

Old Betta: This is my best guess at this syndrome. In my case it came on very suddenly. One day fine, the next, a slow deterioration, along with the silver/gray gills. Extreme hiding, refusal to eat, side lying and nose down lying in the gravel. Long periods hovering in corners not moving. In fact several times I assumed death, but they are very much alive if disturbed. A slowing down of eating behavior, refusing food one day, taking it the next, with longer and longer gaps between feeding until they refuse all food. They begin to look "ragged" fins drooping, sort of "hanging" in the water, yet, there is no fin rot, ich parasite, fungus, or any other ailment present. Another symptom is "yawning" at the surface, wide open mouth taking in gulps of air. These are all signs and symptoms of "old Betta". This may seem preposterous if you've had your fish only a few months, but if it was purchased at a chain store, it might be way older than you think.

Breeding/Handling: This last one, may also contribute to the symptoms described in "old Betta". If the fish in question was severely mishandled in breeding, shipping and store keeping, some of those effects are life long ailments. Organs become damaged due to stress, and though they recover for a time, the damage is permanent. Though the fish may appear vibrant young and healthy once in your home environment, internal damage remains, and as the Betta gets comfortable and the excitement of good clean water wears off, they start a downgrade. Simply, there's just no way to know what is going on inside the Betta.

Without a clear sign of illness and infection, and without knowing the exact causes, there is no particular medication I can recommend. Unless a specific illness such as fin rot appears, my best suggestion is to up the water changes, to keep the water pristine, monitor the temperature to keep it stable, add some entertainment for the Betta to stimulate him, and add aquarium salt at 1/3 the recommended dosage on the package to keep any fungus from forming on him in his lazy state. Watch him very closely, in case other ailments break out, which in this state very may well happen, and treat any that rear their heads accordingly.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    I've done some checking around this morning with some of my Betta guru friends, and found out I'm not alone. Neither are you.

The "silver gills" seem to be a more and more common occurrence, even one of my female Betta has this although showing no ill health at the moment. Several of my cohorts who have been keeping Betta are having this same issue of lethargic silver gill Betta, the gills turning several weeks after purchase.

The common denominator in these fish, are these are the one's purchased from chain pet stores. Breeder bought Betta are not having this problem.

The Think tank are wavering between an in-bred genetic fault flooding through the pet store populations from their breeders, or, a new strain of parasite along the lines of velvet. However, those with sorority tanks with female Betta with the problem, don't seem to transfer it to other Betta. Only one will get this problem, and the others remain healthy. Medications for parasitic and bacterial infections don't seem to do anything for it.

I wish I could be of more help. Just continue to monitor for other ailments that crop up. I will keep you informed if anyone of my friends happens into some insight to the problem.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    :(... i went camping for a night. came back today and found him dead....
    i only had him for a 1 or 2 months. i did what i could. thank you for all your help tiari

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the loss of your fish. It is frustrating, mine currently is not doing well, and dosing of a last ditch effort of Furan 2 seems to be doing nothing to help him out. We will see.

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, good luck

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry about your betta, vafa
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492