· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default i'm done with this algae continued

0 Not allowed!
    hello,
    sorry for making a repeat post, the original thread wouldn't load and gave me various error codes.
    anyway my algaefix finally arrived(ordered on july the 13th)
    i added 3/4 of dosage and fish appear to be fine.
    has anyone had any experience with this product?
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I've never used an anti-algae product, sorry. What type of algae did you have a problem with? Was it a direct sunlight issue, too much artificial light, or a phosphate issue?
    I hope it works for you.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have live plants? I tried that with them once a while ago and it killed my plants pdq.... If you want to cut back algae, try testing your phosphates. My tap has high phosphates thus ill almosy always have diatoms. Also the spectrum of light and timing can affect it.

If you dont have any sensitive live plants try a 2/3 day black out. The plants shouldnt completely die (tho they will not be 100% healthy) but the algae will start dieing off
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    my tank was and is in direct sun light. i dont have anywhere else to put it.
    i couldn't remove all of the algae.
    i tried a bunch of things so i was stuck with this product.
    there are LOTS of great reviews for this product. also there are a few awful reviews.
    so far everything is going smoooove.
    tommorow i will add the rest of the dosage
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Do you have live plants? I tried that with them once a while ago and it killed my plants pdq.... If you want to cut back algae, try testing your phosphates. My tap has high phosphates thus ill almosy always have diatoms. Also the spectrum of light and timing can affect it.

If you dont have any sensitive live plants try a 2/3 day black out. The plants shouldnt completely die (tho they will not be 100% healthy) but the algae will start dieing off
    did you use the same brand as me?
    they bottle says not harmful to all plants and fish.
    you can't trust that though.
    i have a amazon sword and an unknown plant.
    also the bottle says to dose every 3 days.
    EDIT: there are diatoms, green algae and bba
    Last edited by vafa; 08-06-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Direct sunlight will do that to a tank. Good luck vafa and keep us posted.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    thanks strider

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you by any chance tried Nerite snails yet? I have a 55 gallon that is also in direct sunlight, during part of the day in the wintertime. It has always had an algae problem, that I just live with. But once I discovered Nerite snails and put them in, it is amazing the difference that they have made!

I have another 55 gallon set back further, that doesn't get hit by the light. I didn't' think I had any algae problem in there until I put the Nerites in, and all of a sudden, all the décor started becoming bright and colorful! You could see the trails of clean behind the snails, and then the algea patches shrinking away to nothing. Guess I had forgotten how it had been supposed to look.

Anyway, the Nerites cleaned that tank up so well, that now I feed them algae discs, because I'm afraid they will starve. I highly recommend them. All of mine are named Waldo, and it is very amusing to try to find them all. (But can become a problem if you are OCD)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Api brand.... The plants it killed were crypts and a moss ball. Granted that moss ball is a form of algae but still.fish were fine.

Ever think about blocking off the tank while.the light is the harshest?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Do you have live plants? I tried that with them once a while ago and it killed my plants pdq.... If you want to cut back algae, try testing your phosphates. My tap has high phosphates thus ill almosy always have diatoms.
    I think this reasoning has been proven to be false. If your tap is high in phosphates and you don't have enough nitrates or potassium then it can be an issue.

Personally I think I am going to keep the lights on slightly longer to promote algae growth and help the baby bristlenose.