· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulca View Post
    Photos:
    Attachment 29508

Hard to take a photo of the filter, I'll get a better one when I empty the tank to aquascape (err plant it).
    You can just see the pick up well with heater and powerhead and the ceramic rings bay, beyond that in the distance is another similar sized chamber filled with a huge sponge, you could use it as a travel pillow!
    Attachment 29509
    So is this like a HOB sump I have seen in a catalog?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    So is this like a HOB sump I have seen in a catalog?
    Not really "hang" on the back. It is the back. There is a tank divider sealing off the back 1/8th of the tank. That is then divided like a sump with channels.

Overflow->Down through sponge->Up through a glass channel->Down through ceramics->Up pickup well w/ heater->Powerhead->Tank inlet.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and, em... unexpected ... I topped up to 4ppm by accident yesterday and this morning I still had double zero's for the first time!

So either the seeding media and sponge have done their job admirably or the active carbon in the sponge is interfering, which I doubt. I can always test this by checking the correct amount of nitrates is present for the total ammonia added (- 5-10% for what the plants might have consumed and + what I added yesterday evening as NPK).
    Last edited by paulca; 08-08-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulca View Post
    Oh and, em... unexpected ... I topped up to 4ppm by accident yesterday and this morning I still had double zero's for the first time!

So either the seeding media and sponge have done their job admirablyM0re than likely or the active carbon in the sponge is interfering, which I doubtI d0ubt it t00..
    I cycled a 150g with 6 large media bags full 0f carb0n in my filter canister, the charcoal helped reduce the tannins in my tank but it had n0 ill effects 0n the cycle at all. It d0esn't rem0ve amm0nia 0r nitrite, s0 I d0n't see why it w0uld be suspect.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So looks like I won't have plenty of time to considering my stocking and can probably stock it this weekend. I have Friday off work, so the aquascaping can happen then. Can get to the fish shops, Saturday and/or Sunday.

Need to decide on what to put in it.

* A second community tank - Cory, CPDs, Shrimp
    * A livebearer tank - Endlers OR Guppies (though they tend to be fewer due to their high bioload)

Or something else... need ideas... someone suggested cichlids, but the tank is took small.
    Probably too small for Gaurami too.

Any other ideas?

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Following your thread with interest as I will be seeding my dual 29 gals with biomax from my 75 gal. Hoping for a quick cycle like yours.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Following your thread with interest as I will be seeding my dual 29 gals with biomax from my 75 gal. Hoping for a quick cycle like yours.
    The media I used was not from my other tank. Sponge was, but the media I 'grew' in a bucket.

25 litre bucket. Filled with dechlorinated water. A plastic pop bottle with an airstone in it full of ceramic media. Small hole in the top of the bottle to allow the bubbles out. This creates enough draw to draw the water over the media. Dose with ammonia and leave for a while. Test, dose, repeat.

I was planning on giving the media to my mother who killed her cycle and was fish-in cycling, but just as my media matured her cycle kicked off in ernest and ammonia and nitrite cleared. So I just kept firing a squirt of ammonia into it every week or so. Seems it kept them alive for 6 weeks till I used the media on Sunday.

It's just an idea that suggests you don't need to wait till the tank is ready to cycle the media.