· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 gallon ideas

1. Default 20 gallon ideas

0 Not allowed!
    what are some good single species ideas for a 20 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    A single species as in you want to put 1 type of fish into it and would like to know what kind would fit and how many?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, even something that gets a bit larger that I can move up to my bigger tanks

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you, I would not put fish into a 20gal tank that won't be appropriate for it full grown - seriously.

The best thing to do if you want fish that will get larger than a 20gal can handle, full grown, is to start off with a larger tank so the larger fish don't have to be transferred later on.

It's really best to put appropriate size fish into the tank you have.

For a 20gal tank, you can do a nice sized school of smaller tetras (like neons, glow lights etc.) - you could do a betta in a tank that size by itself or with larger shrimp/snails as tank mates.

You could do some male guppies or other livebearing fish (no females unless you had a plan to deal with the babies) - they are colorful - I'm not the best person to discuss stocking because I have a limited supply of fish in my LFS's.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright then single species that can be put in a 55 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    If I were you, I would not put fish into a 20gal tank that won't be appropriate for it full grown - seriously.

The best thing to do if you want fish that will get larger than a 20gal can handle, full grown, is to start off with a larger tank so the larger fish don't have to be transferred later on.

It's really best to put appropriate size fish into the tank you have.
    This is very good and sound advice indeed.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Common sense really.

Ehh... tiger barbs!

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah - I forgot about barbs LOL -

There are many kinds and most of them would be fine in a species only tank. Like tiger, cherry - in a nice sized school - that would look really nice. As a matter of fact, that's what is generally encouraged - having 1 or 2 types of fish in larger schools rather than a mishmosh of different fish.
    5 gal QT

0 Not allowed!
    I refer to the latter as a fish collection. Hardly ever is a healthy setup in the long run.

With a 20g I'd say go for a single species and do it well. There's several barbs where you could do 10 easily and still keep something on the bottom

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 12 Cardinals in my 20g tall now, with a GBR and a couple of Otos. I love it! They hardly dirty the tank at all and the plants help with that as well so I don't do anything but top it off.
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank