· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Total flow vs total volume

0 Not allowed!
    HI EVERYONE!! Going through a research about proper flow rate in coral reef aquairums I would like you to share your data to compare and understand if our tank is calling for a redesign. All info would be helpul!!Here my data (I have not included the fractionator flow rate as this water does not count as flow into the tank since it generally goes back to a sump/bio-tower)

Tank Volume – 25685 gals
    Filter Flow – 630 gpm
    Surge System Flow – 600 gpm
    Total Flow – 1230 gpm
    Total Flow vs. total volume: 4.78%

Many thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you type the numbers correctly ?

Is you tank really 25,685 gallons ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That is quite the size tank you have there!

Tank Volume - 50gal
    Aquaclear 70 - 300g/h
    Koralia nano - 240g/h
    Koralia evolution - 750g/h
    Total flow - 1290g/h
    vol/flow=3.87
    But I have all low flow corals. the rate of flow in a tank should be dictated by the creatures and the layout of your particular tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Did you type the numbers correctly ?

Is you tank really 25,685 gallons ?

yes that number is correct. I am working in a public Aquarium
    Last edited by bea; 08-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot for the info! We have 95% hard corals
    Last edited by bea; 08-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    My most successful SPS tank had about 60 times flow in it

Five 1,100 GPH power heads in a 90 gallon tank. The coral reefs were SPS thrive have a lot of currents creating a lot of flow for them. I tried to replicate that as best I could. My SPS seemed to enjoy the flow and did best in the areas of the tank were the flow was strongest.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Placement of the coral in the flow should be the main focus, rather than the sheer amount of water being moved. As long as you're getting the majority of the water moving passed the SPS, you're in good shape.
    50g African Cichlid Tank ♦ 30g Planted Community Tank ♦ 2g Pico Reef ♦ 45g Hex Goldfish Tank ♦ 10g Planted Betta Tank ♦ 55g Oscar & JD Tank ♦ 40g JD Juveniles Tank