· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Possible to grow enough algae with BN pleco's?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, i wonder if it's possible to grow enough algae to keep the tank algae heavy when you have 2 BN plecos?

i got a 50 gallon SA theme planted tank and im trying to get it to look natural with loads of algae growing on rocks,drift wood and the plants, the problem is that i have 2 BN plecos in the tank aswell. is it possible to get enough algae so the BN can't eat it all when they get algae waffers and other food?

If it's possible to get enough algea how do i go about growing it the fastest way? keeping the lights on is something i know about but won't it hurt the fish by having it on to long? now i have it on for 10 hours each day.
    I also have a spare 30 gallon tank that im probably going to sell. i can add in stones and such and keep that light on for more then 10 hours but then the algae will just become food when the stones are going into the 50 gal.

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of turning your tank into a algae farm, why not just feed the BN plecos from fresh veggies and pleco wafers every once in a while. That might be a better/balanced approach for your set-up. The plecos will also benefit and be healthier with that type of diet as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailroth View Post
    im trying to get it to look natural with loads of algae growing on rocks,drift wood and the plants
    It wasn't to feed my BN i feed them vegies and algae waffers i want a natural looking aquarium not some super clean aquarium look at the rivers there are tons of algae you will never find any water in the wild without algae in it.

The algae have one purpose only keep the tank looking natural. Read before you write please i stated it clearly it was to make the tank look natural not for food.

But incase you missed it ill clarify it alot better.

Thought i could edit the post above seems i couldn't so ill clearify it here.

THE ALGAE IS NOT FOR FOOD IT'S TO MAKE THE TANK LOOK NATURAL!
    Now you probably see what the point of the algae is for. Sorry to have to use this but if a mod missed that above, more will likely to, so had to use caps and extra large letters to make the point clear.
    Last edited by Nailroth; 08-05-2013 at 04:26 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Not need for the drama and the big display of disrespect, its a honest mistake on my part and I apologize for that.

However, please be warned about causing drama and being disrespectful to other members on the forum. Outburst such as this are not acceptable.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    When I read the question I was thinking along the same lines as cliff. And yes, it does sound disrespectful

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't mean to be disrespectful but i'm sorry that english is not my native language that i can't do anything about. The reason for the big flashy text just got proven by talldutchie now. you made an honest mistake but if you can do it as a mod more will do the same thing and give the same response as you did cliff. so with this big flashy text no one will miss understand what i want the algae for.

And i know i overreacted but every topic i have posted on this forum i have gotten just bad advice no one seems to read what i type just the topic name and respond out of that, thats driving me insane i try to be as clear as i possible can with my limited English knowledge that i posses. still no one reads the whole question and give advice on that, Same if i would create a topic about a new tank i just got, i would get like 10 responses on how to cycle a tank i have done this for a year and been trough 5 tanks i think i know how to cycle a tank, but that's off topic.

I just want to know if it's possible to grow enough algae so that the BN plecos won't eat it all up.

I'm just sick of people not reading my question or even take a second to think about it before responding sometimes you understand a question better if you think about it instead of just writing a response to what you could understand by quick reading it.

Now the rant is over please just answer the question now.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand and I too would love that algae look like in nature. However unlike algae in rivers I honestly think it will be hard to control the growth and in my opinion would hate to start to only find it's out of control. Do you plan to also have plants? Personally, I would try something else to get that natural algae growth look. You'll be surprise all you can do with plastics and paint and such.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 5 Blackskirt Tetras, 8 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    If your lighting is T5 or T8 bulbs, then switch to a bulb with a 18,000K (or more) color temperature. Those are the typical marine bulbs. The bluer tones in marine bulbs will help with algae growth in a freshwater set-up. This should promote algae growth without a longer lighting time. If that doesn't work, some plant ferts can also help. Just be careful not to allow your water parameters to become effected as that might effect your fish.

I know how frustrating communicating can be when English is not your first language. English is my third language I learned to speak

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a few plants and i plan to have more.

I do have two t5 powerglo bulbs in the setup. and they are 18,000k but a whiter light

0 Not allowed!
    It's possible to grow a lot of algae even with BN if only for the simple reason that they don't like all kind of algae. Also, if you feed them well they're less likely to scavenge.