· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb How to stop shrimp getting into a Juwel filter?

0 Not allowed!
    I've started introducing my shrimp to my 350 litre tank. It's a Juwel tank which has a built in corner box filter which is structured as follows:

My first test shrimp looked fine for the few hours I watched it...but I then lost it. The tank is so big and shrimp so tiny it was impossible to find again. Today I cleared out the filter sponges and vacuumed the inside. Turns out the shrimp was in it. It's absolutely fine, and back in the tank now - but I know it'll end up in there again.

Anyone have any idea how I can fit some sort of mesh over the intake slots? I'm stuggling to think of a way to do it.

Cheers.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Fine mesh over the intake like you suggested would work. Some people do use pantyhose over their filter intakes to make them shrimp safe, think that would work with your filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah - it's just a question on how to fix it in place. It's a flat surface grill (not an intake pipe) - see image.

Maybe lower the water level and superglue plastic mesh on the inside?

I have a fine pre-filter sponge on my external and that works fine. It's this trickle filter that's the problem.

Before anyone suggests it (sorry) I'm not cutting out the internal filter. I find it very useful and not particularly noticeable in my set-up.

0 Not allowed!
    pantyhose clogs in no time. What works best is get a fine filter sponge, slice it and mount the slices over the intake.
    Personally I never paid too much attention, just chased the shrimp out of it when doing maintenance.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, that's a good idea. So if you just slice a block of foam and mount it over the grill - what about the lid? Do you not use the lid for the filter if you have this?

How long could shrimp survive in there? I only open that filter every couple of weeks (I'd rather not have to go in to rescue them every few days).

In any case, I'm glad my single test shrimp is ok - but it has revealed this issue.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Yeah - it's just a question on how to fix it in place. It's a flat surface grill (not an intake pipe) - see image.

Maybe lower the water level and superglue plastic mesh on the inside?

I have a fine pre-filter sponge on my external and that works fine. It's this trickle filter that's the problem.

Before anyone suggests it (sorry) I'm not cutting out the internal filter. I find it very useful and not particularly noticeable in my set-up.
    talldutchie made a good point, pantyhose could clog over time.

How about holding a piece of thin sponge, and holding it place by using a plastic zip tie (cable tie)? The zip tie you could poke through the sponge and loop it into the grill. A hundred zip ties probably cost you a buck or two at the dollar store.

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhhhh, that's an excellent idea!

Superb, thanks - I'll try this I think.

It's for yours and talldutchie's answers that makes this forum so good.

0 Not allowed!
    Korith took the words right out of my keyboard.
    Shrimp, at least the species I keep, lives in filters a long time. There's been times when I picked shrimps out of my internal that have obviously been there for a few weeks. Same with the juwel internals. Only thing is, they are a bit pale when you fish/chase them out of a filter.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    w0uld vinyl window screen w0rk? I d0n't kn0w if the h0les are t00 big, but y0u c0uld wrap a piece 0ver the intake and sew it together. And why couldn't y0u just put a bl0ck 0f f0am 0n the inside?
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I think that might work. Fixing it over the flat grill is the tricky part so I think I will try the cable-tie root first and then look at these other options.

I've already ordered a pack of cableties from ebay for 99p