· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ich outbreak! Im a newbie and this is my first encounter need advice.

0 Not allowed!
    So its a 10 gallon with 3 black mollys and an MM platy and I was currently in the middle of a fish in cycle. I was out of town for 2 days and when I came home today 2 of my 3 mollys have a bad visible outbreak of this "ich". Most likely the others have it to.

Already read threads about this disease so... My plan: Slowly raise temp to 85 and abandon the cycle process for now and completely clean the tank and do about a 60% water change.

Correct me if Im wrong, I care for my fish and it sucks to see em suffer so please help me kick this diseases ass! I want yalls advise and posted this before i start on this tonight. Write back asap

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure what you mean about abandoning your cycle. You will need to maintain the best water quality that you can while treating for ich. That would most likely mean a lot of extra daily water changes to help you fish recover. Levels of ammonia and/or nitrites that can happen when cycling with fish likely helped the virus take hold

Sounds like you have chosen to use the heat & salt treatment method. While I have not personally used that approach before, many others here have used it with great success. Just don't forget to add a airstone to help maintain good levels of oxygen in the water as the heat will reduce the amount of oxygen.

85F does sound a little high. I think most people use 82F. I would suggest doing a quick search on that.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What I meant by abondon the cycle process is your not supposed to clean substrate while cycling, but i read ich multiplies in the subsrate, so i was going to thourouly clean my tank which your not supposed to do while cycling. So im kind of confused about that dont know what to do. I will slightly raise heat to 82 but might not have the funds to get an airstone right away. I read an article on here that raising it to 85 will literally destroy the parasite, so if 82 wont work will raise it to 85.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I understand now

Cleaning the substrate is a good idea, even when you are trying to cycle your tank. IMO, it is the lesser of two evils for you right now. The majority of bacteria that you need to keep the tank healthy and cycled will be in the biological filter media in your filter so the impact to your cycle should be minimal.

Keep a very close eye on your parameters throughout this process and be ready for any extra waterchanges
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok ill clean it immediately, out of water testing supplies will get more tomorrow and update with water stats.
    Appreciate it thx for the help

0 Not allowed!
    The salt/heat treatment will not harm the cycling process, it can still go on, albeit it will be a little slower. Cleaning the gravel is a huge part of getting rid of ich, and I have used this method successfully to treat my shoal of Neons of the dreaded outbreak.

There's a good video on youtube about the treatment, which if followed precisely, works like a charm. Its probably the best explanation how to achieve it. I didn't lose a single fish to the outbreak.

2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with above advice - cleaning your gravel will help get rid of the parasites that are multiplying in it - that's how you eliminate them before they can jump onto another host fish.

The higher temp is to disrupt the ich's lifecycle so they stop reproduce (after a certain temp they don't multiply). The airstone is useful because a higher temperature reduces the oxygen level in the water - if the temp is too high you might find your fish gasping at the top of the tank. And the temp increase needs to be done gradually also.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay unfortunately 1 molly was riddled with the parasite and found dead this morning. Tonight cleaning tank again and raising temp slowly to 85 with salt treatment. Will invest asap in an airstone to help oxygen levels.

Thanks for the video Tiari.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ! more molly down, continuing temp and salt treatment. Last 2 look rather normal no white spots.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Agree with above advice - cleaning your gravel will help get rid of the parasites that are multiplying in it - that's how you eliminate them before they can jump onto another host fish.
    I think you're being extremely optimistic if you think you can get all the cysts that way. But you can certainly reduce the number.

The higher temp is to disrupt the ich's lifecycle so they stop reproduce (after a certain temp they don't multiply). The airstone is useful because a higher temperature reduces the oxygen level in the water - if the temp is too high you might find your fish gasping at the top of the tank. And the temp increase needs to be done gradually also.
    That temperature is awfully high, too high for some fish but 85 is not going to kill ich outright. What it does is speed up the lifecycle so they're released quicker into the water that's too salt and that will kill them. If you want to hit ich with a temperature attack you're looking at 32C.