· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Snail?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

Default Snail?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so... I just got a mystery snail from petsmart, quarantined it for 2 weeks and put it into my 40 gallon tank... well... a few days ago I noticed something coming out of "him" that I assumed to be either poop of food detritus, but today I noticed a single, small snail crawling around the tank. Is this like... he was pregnant when I got him and had babies, or is this the first sign of an infestation of some other type of snail?

In either case, as I only want my current snail + one other that I purchased and am quarantining... WHAT DO I DO!!!?

I'm trying to get pictures, I'll add them as soon as I do (It was a little snail goldish brown and his shell seemed a bit pointy.)

Edit: here are the pictures

20130803_202020.jpg20130803_202023 (1).jpg20130803_202031.jpg20130803_202622.jpg
    Last edited by Fluffy; 08-04-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add pictuers
    1 Tank 5.5 Gal. (QT) - empty
    2 Tank 20 Gal. - 6 female betta, 8 glotetras, many plants, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Clown pleco
    3 & 4 Tanks 2.5 Gal - 1 male betta (dragonscale deltatail), 1 MTsnail

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Mystery snails do not bear live young. They lay large egg clusters that are quite visible. The little snail in the picture appears to be a mature bladder snail, a pest snail that comes with live plants. Beware. Where you see one, there likely are many more, and they do reproduce very rapidly.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so... How do I get rid of it without killing Nero (my mystery snail) or any of my fish? Are there any creatures I could introduce to the tank (albeit temporarily) to clear it?
    2 Tank 20 Gal. - 6 female betta, 8 glotetras, many plants, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Clown pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Introducing snail eaters rarely works. Generally, they will ignore the hard shelled molluscs and go for fish food. However, if you keep the tank clean and feed such a quantity that nothing is left over, the snails will not have anything to eat and will disappear.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I'll try that, thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    You could also try a piece of lettuce, watch as they will cover it and then you can simply take it out. Likely won't get them all but you can help control them that way.
    I let the snail population in an earlier tank setup get about 300+. Yeah seemed every square inch of that tank had a snail in it. Then I purchased a YoYo loach assuming he could control it, not eat them all. Within a few weeks I had no more snails. There went my snails.
    Funny but I would actually go down to my local PetSmart and ask for their nuisance snails from their planted tank setup to feed that yoyo. That was back when PetSmart had all live plants in a large tank. They loved me!
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 7 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    would a yoyo loach eat my mystery snails as well? I kinda want them to stick around. If not that might be a good option.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If I can assume that your mystery snail is at the typical pet store size they are sold in, no. Waaaay too big.