· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Cycling a new 20 gallon long, am I ready to add fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have been cycling (fishless) my 20 long for about one month. My numbers are:

Ammonia - .25

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate - .10

What do I need to do to get Ammonia to 0? Or is this close enough to start adding fish?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely not. Ammonia and Nitrites both need to be zero before adding fish, otherwise you are not fishless cycling...

I'm not sure what you have been doing to date, but perhaps you could increase the temp a bit, to help things along.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Absolutely not. Ammonia and Nitrites both need to be zero before adding fish, otherwise you are not fishless cycling...

I'm not sure what you have been doing to date, but perhaps you could increase the temp a bit, to help things along.
    Nitrites are 0, I would have thought the Ammonia would have gone to 0 when the nitrite hit 0. I will try increasing the temp

Thanks

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    if you had nitrites but they are gone now, perhaps you have done something else which caused a spike...have you done any tank maintenance besides adding ammonia daily?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oops, I only added ammonia (purchased from Ace Hardware) on day 1 to start off the cycle. the ammonia started at 9.0. Do i need to add ammonia every day?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    the steps of a fishless cycle in a nut shell:
    add ammonia till about 4-6ppm first day
    keep the ammonia at that level by testing daily
    when nitrites show up, allow ammonia to fall to 2ppm
    keep ammonia at 2ppm by adding ammonia daily. this requires a test before and after adding ammonia
    *note too much ammonia at this stage WILL stall your cycle it happened to me
    when 2ppm ammonia is being used completely in 24 hrs, and nitrites start going down, test for nitrates
    when 2ppm ammonia is used daily, no nitrites are present, and nitrates are climbing, your cycle is done.

some people like to keep the cycle going a few days incase there was an error in the reading one day.

increasing the temp to 84, and adding alot of air will speed the process up.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What test kit are you using? The liquid test kit by API is the best to use, although it's very hard to distinguish the difference between .25 ammonia and 0 ammonia, according to the color chart. If you think you are consistently coming up with .25 ammonia after a month and doing tests at random times, the ammonia is actually 0. If you are not using the API liquid test kit, then ignore what I just said.
    Everyone is right about the ammonia needing to be zero. test your tap water for ammonia too.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    What test kit are you using? The liquid test kit by API is the best to use, although it's very hard to distinguish the difference between .25 ammonia and 0 ammonia, according to the color chart. If you think you are consistently coming up with .25 ammonia after a month and doing tests at random times, the ammonia is actually 0. If you are not using the API liquid test kit, then ignore what I just said.
    Everyone is right about the ammonia needing to be zero. test your tap water for ammonia too.
    I am using the API test kit, thanks