· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Nano Shrimp Tank....is that possible?

0 Not allowed!
    I was given a tiny 1.5 gallon Tetra aquarium. It's a cute little aquarium but you can't exactly put anything in it.....so I had this idea: shrimp! I have no experience with shrimp so I have no idea if this is something that can even be done.

I was thinking of putting sand or some sort of plant substrate in it for a mini planted aquarium which I think would be quite fun. I thought it would be even more fun to have little shrimpies climbing in and out of the plants.

Is 1.5 gallons too small even for shrimp? Obviously species like bamboo shrimp are out of the question lol What about cherry shrimp? They're very pretty and would look cool climbing through the green plants.

This is the tank I was given:

pPETS-6704010dt.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome!
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    According to what I've read, you throw a few cherry shrimp in there and keep an eye on the parameters, and you should be fine. You could also consider a few ghost shrimp if you don't mind them not breeding, as those are really hardy.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Red cherry shrimp should be fine, like fish keeper said, keep a close eye on the water parameters as since its only 1.5g, it could fluctuate quickly and may cause a problem. Saying that, cherries are very hardy, the other day I did some rescaping of my 10g cherry tank and put some plant cuttings into a jug with 100-200ml of water and a week later I discovered there was about 10 shrimp in there haha.

For an idea about the tank, what I want to do if I get a nano tank is get a dark brown substrate to simulate earth and get a tiny tree branch and use bits of miss I to make it look like a tree and have a dwarf grass carpet.

Mainly keep an eye on water parameters andmake sure you don't overfeed.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help you guys!

Here's what I did last night. I pretty much hate it haha I had some gravel laying around and even though I wanted to use sand I figured "What the heck? Why not use it?" Well I'm going to get sand today and revamp it. And there are definitely not enough plants. It's a start at least.

20130802_224744.jpg

Probably search for some good sticks and boil the crap out of them to put in there. If anyone has any suggestions on what to make this little thing awesome, please, do tell.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Some moss, small driftwood and you are good to go with shrimp. They will do fine. Start with 10 of them max and then sell the ones off the colony.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another option I'm curious about trying is a tiny little saltwater tank. I've always wanted a saltwater tank but have never really had money to do that. I've seen small simple tanks done at my LFS that just have some live rocks, sand and a centerpiece coral. Some of them have shrimp. I'm wondering if I should post this question in the marine section of this forum but I don't want to look dumb asking the question if it isn't possible. Do any of you guys know generally about saltwater? Or if I should just go ahead and ask in that forum?

It would be cool obviously but I feel like since I know nothing about marine tanks that perhaps is completely a horrible idea.
    Last edited by Malyssaasaurus; 08-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh nevermind. I think I'd be getting in over my head with that. It was a nice thought though.

Onward and forward with cherry shrimp! Sometimes I get a little carried away with my thoughts and ideas lol Good news is I don't act on impulse. I just think on impulse....so yeah. Forget I asked haha

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyssaasaurus View Post
    Thanks for the help you guys!

Here's what I did last night. I pretty much hate it haha
    Then don't do it. Haha. Or at least redo it. There's no reason to have a tank you don't like

Probably search for some good sticks and boil the crap out of them to put in there. If anyone has any suggestions on what to make this little thing awesome, please, do tell.
    1. Don't boil the sticks.
    2. plant well
    3. read Diana Walstad's booklet on shrimp bowls
    4. Don't overdo it, it's smaller than a water changing bucket. Keep it simple, small plants, 3 species at most.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Then don't do it. Haha. Or at least redo it. There's no reason to have a tank you don't like
    That's the plan! :D I'm very picky with my tanks. I'm heading to the store soon to get some sand to redo it. Probably pick up some moss and driftwood too like Sandz suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    1. Don't boil the sticks.
    2. plant well
    3. read Diana Walstad's booklet on shrimp bowls
    4. Don't overdo it, it's smaller than a water changing bucket. Keep it simple, small plants, 3 species at most.
    So for the sticks thing, I have read in multiple places that's it totally fine to do. Is that a no-go? If it isn't then that's fine. I want to make sure I do things right of course ;)

I saw the Walstad booklet online yesterday while I searched the web. Very interesting.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alrighty! I went to the store and got some black sand and a rock that has anubias planted on it as a sort of centerpiece.

Here's what it looks like now:

20130803_163553.jpg

I'm very happy with it now. Do you think it still needs some driftwood? Is it missing anything that could make it better?

Also, I've been reading some conflicting articles. Some say that because shrimp have such a small bio-load and can be hardy that cycling isn't necessary. Others say to definitely cycle it especially since it's a small tank. What is your guys' consensus?