· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default would using zeolite in a qt hurt anything?

0 Not allowed!
    well normally i would NEVER advocate using something like this in a tank because it starves the BB for ammonia. but something went wrong with my last qt, and im getting .25ppm ammonia in 24 hrs. i added the most seeded media from other tanks that i think i can, but its still not keeping up with the ammonia. so im between a rock, a hard place, and a bad place. i figured my options are as followed:
    1: run a filter with the zeolite, to remove the ammonia and keep using it for the duration of the qt.
    2: add the possibly sick fish to my 55g tank out of qt, and deal with the short ammonia spike in there
    3: deal with doing a fish in cycle and bite any losses i come across.

tbh in a tank i cant advocate using this stuff, but i cant see how it will hurt a short term qt. are there any draw backs to using this besides killing of BB?

edit: oh i forgot to add, turns out in the area i live now, any time there is a fire the tap water turns brown with rust. my luck is, just as i NEED to do the pwc, theres been several fires. all them in abandoned buildings around, and as i can tell minimal damage to other buildings. but it leaves our water rusty for 24 hrs.
    Last edited by genocidex; 08-02-2013 at 12:06 AM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    There is nothing wrong with using Zeolite, and it will not starve the BB. Zeolite will change ammonia to ammonium, which the BB use as food just as readily. In fact, I have cycled many a tank using it as a preventative measure.

I advocate the usage of Zeolite particularly in hospital tanks, and when someone who is in the middle of a fish in cycle has to leave for an emergency for a few days unexpectedly. Its use has saved many a fish.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    i thought it removes the ammonia actively... i know ammonium is less toxic to fish, thats why i did a heavy dose of prime. might be thinking of another product.... thanks
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Zeolite changes, not absorbs ammonia. A tank reading ammonia, once placed in with Zeolite will still read ammonia on an API test. The API test reads ammonium as well. You need a seachem free ammonia test to see if there is any harmful ammonia not left converted.

The components in Zeolite are similar to old fashioned cat litter, if I'm not mistaken a benzolite clay. I may be spelling that wrong. Its used to counteract the smell of ammonia by converting it......... as any cat keeper can tell you, the ammonium is certainly still there lol.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    well this stuff must be a different thing than you are referring to. last night i added it to my tank without the biomax, and this morning the ammonia is zero. im cycling the media in a bucket with pure ammonia. either way i look at it tho this stuff does a great job with this problem. i think after this is all done i will be doing a few tests on the affects of this with bb, and if it does detox or remove ammonia.
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    That is particularly interesting. I've never had zeolite remove all ammonia. However, it could be the test. Older tests showed ammonia and ammonium the same, such as the API. Its possible the tests have changed that it no longer reads ammonium? What test kit are you using?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Api master, the ammonia test is 1 year old, im sure it read the ammonium as well because prime converts the ammonia to ammonium and i did a high does to detox it.
    gotta love them bunnies!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Zeolites are cation exchange media; this means they can replace positively charged ions in the water.
    So ammonium ions (NH4+) get switched out with something else, probably sodium (Na+)
    This is why the instructions say NOT to add salt, and you can recharge it by soaking in salt water, causing the ammonium to be released.