· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question What type of gourami is this?

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering, can you help me ID this gourami?
    It's being sold as Trichogaster leerii (I just use the latin names cause I'm not english and the names are a bit mixed up inbetween languages) - in the tank there were infact a couple of t. leeriis but they looked nothing like this. They were much bigger and had colours. These have been colourless for days now, but I saw some of the ones without stripes are becoming more orange/red now.

The picture was too big to post, so instead, please take a look at the link

Picture!

I was looking for, and had asked the pet store to order Trichogaster chuna, but I can't tell if these are t. chunas or t. leeriis. The people working there just told me they werent' t. leeriis, but they didn't know what type of gouramis they were.

It's not the best of pics, as the tank was a bit too tall for me but hopefully someone can help me ID these. If they are t. chunas, will they get colour in a good tank?

Also, if they are t. chunas, will the ones with stripes be females and the non-stripey ones be males?

0 Not allowed!
    How big are they approximately? And does the dorsal extend the full length of the back?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are quite small. The grown t. leeriis were in the tank with them and these smaller ones are maybe a third of the size. I'd say maybe 7 or 8 cm in lenght (2.7 inches?) the dorsal, not so sure. I think it goes down to the fin but does not "join" it

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting! Definitely not t. leerii, and definitely not t. chuna. Fin type looks like dwarf or chuna, but body coloring looks like leerii. I'm stumped.

EDIT: A few of them more in the background actually do look like honeys. The yellow/orange ones. But the silver ones with the stripes aren't female honeys, so i dont know.
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 08-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I asked for fin shape is because gouramis can be split into those with a dorsal fin extending all the way down the back(such as honey) and those with a short fin, such as a moonlight gourami. The only fish I can think of that is pale, has a dorsal running the length of its back, and matches your size and (somewhat) color description is the sunset gourami, a color morph of the dwarf gourami.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aha, interesting that you have so many different variations of gouramis. Normally we only have t. chuna and t. leeriis here that are the most common ones. Pygmy/ilcorice/kissing/chocolate gouramis are considered "normal" here but not stocked very often. Even when I asked for t. chunas the petstore here said they'd "try" because it was hard to come by (lol!) anyway, I went and got three of them. Two with stripes and one that looked male (had a different shade going from his lip to his chest/abdomen)

They were all very grey, just like in the picture and even the one I figured a male had that "lady stripe" too so I was a bit concerned - but when they got a little "taste" of my tank water whilst in the bag, it only took about fiften minutes later and the supposed male started showing a redd-ish/orange colour with a darker blue on his belly - and the two others seem a bit more yellow.

So I'm hoping they are t. chunas or atleast some variation that wont get too big/vicious. (They are going to be roomies with a lazy school of thayeria boelhkei)

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of 3 inch chunas. All honey gouramis I've ever seen we half that size at maturity.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I think they may be Trichopodus pectoralis, also known as snakeskin gourami, with that zig-zak line, but than not all of them have it.
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-03-2013 at 03:49 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could be very well wrong about the size, haha. The t. leeriis looked soo much bigger than them, but when they were gone the supposed chunas looked fairly big. But I noticed at home in my own tank they looked smaller again, haha. Maybe just a distortion of the glass at the pet store. It was a very weird angle to watch them at.

They are a bit timid yet, but the one I thought/think is a male has gotten almost all his colour now.

ps: don't snakeskin gouramis have small fins on their back? mine have one going from the top to the tail I think.

Pics will be provided!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some pics!

one of the suspected females

the suspected male

pic 2