· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 99 of 648 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast

Thread: Slap's 40B

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm guessing you'll be cycled by Sunday at the latest.
    So what else are you thinking of stocking?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I'm guessing you'll be cycled by Sunday at the latest.
    So what else are you thinking of stocking?
    Good morning fishmommie!

Well, 2 shoals to start...if I get the marble hatchets, that will be 1...I'm thinking rummynose tetras for the other, I REALLY like them too...one of Sandz' suggestions was Columbians, looking hard at them,also

Some corys, unsure of which ones yet
    Some BNP's, unsure of which ones yet
    Maybe a pair of Apistos
    RCS
    Snails

What do you think?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Slap,

Based on feedback I received for my own stocking plan from Byron and others, I know rummynosed tetras are NOT a good first addition because they are sensitive to water conditions and require a mature tank. They inhabit the Orinoco so I am planning to get 10-12 of them, but I am going to add them later for this reason (that is, if I ever manage to finish my stand!).

I also think cory cats, since they spend their time very low on the water, are probably going to be more affected by changing conditions, so you might probably have to leave those for later too.

I did not really research Colombian tetras but I seem to recall they are hardier than rummynoses. I know little about hatchets but since they live at the top of the tank, I am guessing they are not as sensitive to a maturing tank.

Perhaps start with 1 hardier group (Hatchets or Colombians) and then add 2 other groups later (rummynosed, and cories)?

I have absolutely no knowledge of BNPs or apistos, so I will leave my foot well away from my mouth and not say anything about those :-)

Awards Showcase

10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Food for thought, thanks for that goldy...anyone else?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Found this on another forum; is it accurate?

There are actually three species of tetras that are commonly sold as "Rummy-nosed Tetras;" Hemigrammus bleheri from the Negro and Meta River basins, H. rhodostomus from the lower Amazon River basin and Orinoco River basin, and what is more commonly known as the "False Rummy-nosed Tetra", Petitella georgiae from the upper Amazon River basin in Peru; Purus, Negro, and Madeira River basins. As with most small South American fish, they typically are wild-caught and therefore very slow drip-acclimation and at least 2 week quarantine are highly recommended.

2 Not allowed!
    A mature tank is one that is cycled so that no ammonia or nitrites are present. To be honest, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to add fish to the tank. Let's assume your tank is cycled by Sunday. I would maintain a fishless cycle for a week or so after test come back negative for ammonia and nitrite. During this period, I would test the tank water daily and make sure the tank is fully cycled. If ammonia or nitrites test positive during that week, well, guess your tank wasn't fully cycled. When the tank is fully cycled, I would slow, drip acclimate all fish before you add them.

One thing I wouldn't do is add fish to the tank that you're not going to be happy with long term. I understand that maybe a difficult task for a new fish keeper, but remember, there is no hurry because you can maintain the cycle by adding ammonia.
    Last edited by Taurus; 09-20-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3 Not allowed!
    Slap I read that on Seriously fish about there being 3 species commonly sold as Rummy-nosed tetras as well. I got mine from WetSpot and they specify that they sell wild caught Hemigrammus bleheri. For whatever reason I feel like that's more reliable than the ID tags at the local Petsmart, but it's hard to say.

As for the rummynose being a sensitive fish, here's my personal experience. I was originally going to special order my fish at a store locally. They told me that they would not give me any type of a guarantee once I walked out the door with my rummynose because they said they were having a difficult time keeping them alive. They said more than 50% of the ones they were getting in the store were dying only days later and nothing they did stopped it. I was buying 20 so the prospect of having that many that were weak or unhealthy wasn't appealing.

That's what made me decide to go with WetSpot. When I received the fish I drip acclimated them for one hour. I was concerned that any longer than that would stress them out. So far I haven't noticed any problems. I got quite a size variation from little rummynose up to one or two that are full grown, but they are super healthy, vibrantly colored and haven't shown any signs of stress or weakness.

Judi also added rummynose to her tank right off the bat I think and, as far as I know, she also hasn't had concerns. I am wondering if the key to healthy and happy rummynose is getting a quality batch to begin with.

As far as the hatchets are concerned, here's my take on that. Get what you want. What ultimately matters is that you are happy with your stock and that your fish are happy and healthy. You are vigilant in your fish care and I really think you will be able to take a couple of easy precautions to avoid a jumping problem. The off chance that one might hop the tank during a water change is not a reason to give up on something that you were really excited about.

If you are just losing the vision of the hatchets though, and they aren't really that important, then find something that really sets your heart aflutter (I was going for cheesy) and go with that.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    A mature tank is one that is cycled so that no ammonia or nitrites are present. To be honest, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to add fish to the tank. Let's assume your tank is cycled by Sunday. I would maintain a fishless cycle for a week or so after test come back negative for ammonia and nitrite. During this period, I would test the tank water daily and make sure the tank is fully cycled. If ammonia or nitrites test positive during that week, well, guess your tank wasn't fully cycled. When the tank is fully cycled, I would slow, drip acclimate all fish before you add them.

One thing I wouldn't do is add fish to the tank that you're not going to be happy with long term. I understand that maybe a difficult task for a new fish keeper, but remember, there is no hurry because you can maintain the cycle by adding ammonia.
    Hi Taurus!

Actually, I am not in a huge rush to add fish, I just want to plan ahead on my stocking ideas...I can continue to cycle for another week, no problem, just keep dosing ammonia at half the PPM I started with, correct?...I need to plan on being off of work to recieve the fish when they arrive, also

I know you should do no cleaning while cycling, but the biofilm is getting really thick on the inside glass...would it harm the cycle to wipe it down in the meantime?...I have an aquarium brush that I use for the 10 gallon that works well...also, the water level has dropped done below the top trim, even with a glass lid...of course, I haven't done any water changes during the cycle, so I have not had a chance to keep the tank full.. should I top it back off with a small dose of Prime?

I am anxious for some fish, but I really want the tank environment to be right for them

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    I have never had a jumper in my tanks except for one crazy ass guppy... Swordtails and hatchets have never jumped on me BUT my grampa is another story... i just cant ever say you are safe because there are so many reports of jumping. I would start with your schooling fish first - 10 rummy and 10 hatchets if you go for them... You are fishless cycled so you can add almost everything at one shot. The pleco and the cichlids are going to break that mold for me. I always let them establish with shoaling species first because of their low bioload and then add in the centerpiece fish.

If you went with the Columbians you could also go Lemon tetra and get a great yellow/blue red mix.
    Last edited by Sandz; 09-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

I like this advice a lot as well. I had to keep feeding my tank ammonia for about a week after my cycle was complete because I didn't order the fish in time and had to wait until I could arrange to be home when they arrived. That may have helped with the rummynose as well.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Page 99 of 648 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast