· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 93 of 353 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Slap's 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Just teach them t0 jump pr0perly (like the fish in JJ's avatar) and all will be fine, l0l.
    I'll need to get with her for some lessons

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Funny how none of mine seem to jump or escape. I wonder why....
    Hi talldutchie....your tank has a lid and floating plants, correct?...I've no floating plants, but am considering them for the hatchets
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    If you want hatchets or pencil fish then get some amazonian frogbit. It's ridiculously easy to grow, takes nitrate by the bucket load and any surface dweller will love it. IF you got a hob filter you can use some fishing line and small suction cups to cordon off a section and keep the plants there.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    I think when you have species that are known jumpers just keep any opening as sealed off as possible, I use craft mesh to cover any spaces that are left open between filters, heaters & such. Lets face it, any fish can jump when startled and snails are notorious at finding openings to escape from. When doing water changes I always keep the lid closed as much as possible until the level has dropped enough where I feel comfortable to remove the lid and continue.
    + 1 to Judi's and CL's suggestions here, just cover all the openings, I had plate glass cut to size for any of my openings and watched carefully when I did water changes.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    If you want hatchets or pencil fish then get some amazonian frogbit. It's ridiculously easy to grow, takes nitrate by the bucket load and any surface dweller will love it. IF you got a hob filter you can use some fishing line and small suction cups to cordon off a section and keep the plants there.
    Thnks for that, I was just reading up on frogbit when I saw your reply...does it block light (significantly) from reaching the substrate plants?

Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    + 1 to Judi's and CL's suggestions here, just cover all the openings, I had plate glass cut to size for any of my openings and watched carefully when I did water changes.
    Will do, I am not real concerned about it at this point..

What I AM concerned about:

Ammonia = 0
    NitrItes = the band who did the song "Smoke On The Water"

Gonna keep on keeping on...just dose up to 2 PPM of amm...c'mon, cycle, gang it, LOL....just 13 days into the cycle, and i'm already getting impatient...imagine that

1 Not allowed!
    Good morning everyone,

I added some Flourish Comprehensive to the 40B Saturday...this morning I noticed a bit of algae on the driftwood ...The instructions say 5 ml per 60 gallon, so I added about 3 ml to the 40...too much?....not even sure I should be adding it during the cycle, but wanted to give the new plants a little food...

The tank glass is getting some biofilm on it, it was before I added the Flourish, so I guess that's a good thing...I was told a few months back that biofilm is a harmless sign of a maturing tank...not gonna wipe it down until the cycle is finished

0 Not allowed!
    Glad it's all coming together Slap.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Hi steeler1, and thanks!

What do you think about the algae?...no big whoop?...TBH, if it started eating up the DW snot, I'd have no problem with it, LOL

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    You're getting there, slow but sure!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^ Thanks ma'......um, gronlaura!....Going to check the trites this evening before I dose more ammonia...maybe they'll be a "little" less deep purple

Went to the LFS this weekend, the only fish they had that I am considering were some rummynose, but they only had a handful, and I want 12-15 to start!....and OMG, I never really checked out their DW prices, but they were ridiculous...one little 10" or so piece screwed to a piece of slate was $16 plus tax!...I'm really starting to appreciate my free pieces we found!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So far for driftwood I have mainly bought mopani pieces online. Much cheaper than my stores, but so many tannins. It also had a lot of driftwood snot, but it sinks right away.

I dont dose any liquud ferts right now so I cant help with that. I do love my frogbit though. Started with a small liplock bag full and have had tons of success with it. Currently covers the top of my 30 gallon, about 40% of the 125 gallon, and a few pieces in a couple other tanks. Plus the last time we checked nitrates in the 30 they were at 5. It eats up those nitrates because there is a bristlenose pleco in there with our neon school and 4 kinds of snails growing up.

Page 93 of 353 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast