· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 543 of 780 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543544545553593643 ... LastLast
Results 5,421 to 5,430 of 7794

Thread: Slap's 40B

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Well, I indulged in a little risky behavior yesterday...with the 40 gallon breeder tank, of course.

Just this past Friday, I removed the sponge from the AC70 and cleaned it real good, then put it back on the tank with no sponge, just bio media...flow is improved, and the water is clear as can be, so all good there....but, surely a bit of BB was removed in the process.

Yesterday, after doing about a 60% PWC, I was sitting around thinking about taking the sponge out of the Eheim 2215 canister filter, too. My main concern was that it may be too soon to do this, as I'd be removing even more BB in the process.

I decided to give the Eheim a cleaning while I pondered removing the sponge....cleaning a canister is a bit more of a PITA than cleaning an HOB, I have to fill 2 buckets with tank water, one to clean the biomedia in, and another to refill the canister when it's put back together.

The sponge was a round disc of mud, it was FILTHY....it's only been a few months since I cleaned the Eheim, but I guess that was enough time for it to gunk up...anywho, I threw it in the sink, cleaned the rest of the filter, put it back together and got it up and running....MUCH improved flow, the tank was a bit "cloudy" for a while but not it's clear as can be.

I cleaned the sponge (took a good while to do), and put it into my fish supply cabinet for (maybe) future use.

This morning, everyone in the tank was happy and healthy, so I think (hope) it's gonna be just fine...I need to check params this afternoon when I get home.

Now the only sponge I use is in the AC30 in Lauren's 10G...I may keep that one, though, to keep the flow from being too much for Henry the Betta.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    How has the sponge free life been working for Kev?

My issue with my AC's on my 75 is that the intake is hidden, so to clean it I need to remove the entire filter from the tank = MAJOR PITA

I'm saving up for 2 new eheim canisters for the tank... :) and an LED light

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I think you'll be just fine Matt. I have gone 'spongless and flossless' in all 3 of my canisters since February. Continue to have clear water, continue to have lower nitrates.
    I finally cleaned all 3 cans last week - without the sponges and floss, there was no 'muddy' build up in t he cans. Some debris, yes, but over all I was surprised.

Just this moment got done checking ammonia and nitrites and trates to make sure I hadn't caused a mini cycle by cleaning all the filters at the same time but all is good.. less than 5 trates in my 30 and around 10 or 12 in my 90 - again, this is week after a W/C.

I know trates aren't an issue with you but I suspect you'll see they drop even lower without the sponges in the can.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

4 Not allowed!
    Hi Chris!

As far as I know, Kev's experiment has gone great...he always has a few issues with his 75, I believe it is, but we've chalked that up to aliens, LOL

Yeah, I forgot how you have those filters set up, with the intakes buried in the background...I can see how filter cleaning time would totally suck...plus, you can't keep an eye on your intakes, either

Yeah, you need canisters for sure...I love my Eheim, easy to maintain/clean, and it's so quiet, I have to put my hand on it to feel the vibration to make sure it's running!

What kind of LED are you getting?

PS I wouldn't advise anyone to go sponge-free unless they have a WELL established tank

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

4 Not allowed!
    Yeah those sponges gunk up fast and then just put those nitrates back in the tank. I'm going to take mine out of my AC filters. If I need to polish the water I'll just use polyfill for a day after a PWC and then throw it out.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I think you'll be just fine Matt. I have gone 'spongless and flossless' in all 3 of my canisters since February. Continue to have clear water, continue to have lower nitrates.
    I finally cleaned all 3 cans last week - without the sponges and floss, there was no 'muddy' build up in t he cans. Some debris, yes, but over all I was surprised.

Just this moment got done checking ammonia and nitrites and trates to make sure I hadn't caused a mini cycle by cleaning all the filters at the same time but all is good.. less than 5 trates in my 30 and around 10 or 12 in my 90 - again, this is week after a W/C.

I know trates aren't an issue with you but I suspect you'll see they drop even lower without the sponges in the can.
    Thanks Cindy, good info!...yeah, trAtes are always right at 10 for me in this tank...I didn't test yesterday, because i wanted to wait a day for the BB to stabilize/re-establish, plus, my API test kit will show a bit of ammonia (ammonium) right after a PWC, since I have it in my tap...the Prime renders it harmless, but it will still show up on the test on the day of a PWC.

That freaked me out at first, until mommy1 explained to me what was happening.

Speking of her, haven't seen her here in awhile(?)

Awards Showcase

4 Not allowed!
    Just some random pics from this weekend....

Check out the tail on this oto, most of it is missing!...been that way since I got him, he gets around just fine, and eats like a horse...I call him "Rudder", lol

IMG_0778.jpg

Weird, when I drop sinking wafers in the 10G, they snails go UP the glass(?)...haven't figured that one out yet...notice the 2 free floater java ferns in there, pulled them from the 40B Saturday but have ran out of rocks to tie them to, lol

IMG_0779.jpg

Another snail pic, I like that really dark one...there's a few in there like that

IMG_0780.jpg

Awards Showcase

4 Not allowed!
    Snails, snails, and more snails...some good variety in shell colors

IMG_0781.jpg

My little female apisto, she's getting big!...bigger than I thought they got

IMG_0782.jpg

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Lookin good Matt. Now if there was only a little money in snails. lol
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, really....I may try to get a buck or two each for them, when the time comes

Page 543 of 780 FirstFirst ... 43443493533541542543544545553593643 ... LastLast