· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 52 of 736 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Slap's 40B

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys and girls,
    I just like the look of the bubbles...the pump I have will be powerful enough, it has 2 outlets, can run up to like 7 bubble makers at a time...and they were cheap, less than $2 a piece...was thinking of having a wall of bubbles at the back of the tank, but could change my mind on that...they are triangular, but with flat tops can't remember from geometry class what that shape is called
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't understand the aversion to bubblers/airstones/etc here at the AC...I realize that the bubbles do not really benefit the fish...but the platys and guppies in the 10 gallon SEEM to enjoy swimming through the bubble stream, they play around and in it all the time...and if I'm not mistaken, airstones can be useful when the water may be O2 deprived, such as when warming to treat ich...but having them is not necessary, I know

Are the bubbles considered juvenile or something?...tacky?...unrealistic?...dumb?...it just seems like every time the idea of using an airstone just for the looks of the bubbles comes up, the idea is quickly dismissed as useless or a waste of time

Anyhow, I got a chance to stop by a brick and stone company on the way home from work yesterday...I asked about slate (they advertise it on their website), and they acted like they had no clue what I was talking about...the guy I kept trying to explain it to kept talking about "slag", which I'd never heard of...anyhow, he let me pick through a pallet of broken pieces of stuff that looked like slate to me, and he let me take home 8 pieces for my favorite price (free)...Passed the vinegar test, I think they will work just fine to anchor my DW...here's a few of the pieces...they are easy to break into smaller pieces, and they are drillable, with a little effort:

0 Not allowed!
    lol, Slap, if you haven't figured it out yet, there are probably 2 "camps" to every issue about fish keeping (with exception to cycling, probably) on this forum. Bubblers are not excluded from conflictions of the many. ;P

There's nothing wrong with using bubblers in your main tank. If you want to use them, use them. Some people do use them to oxygenate their tank, however, but unless you have horrible surface agitation from a faltering filter, it's merely unnecessary.

I used to use bubblers in two of my tanks. My betta loved playing in the bubbles, and so did my Serpaes (at least I think that's what was playing in it - can't remember, now). I used them to further oxygenate the tanks, but have decided that a planted tank can add enough oxygen to the water column to compensate for any lack of agitation - so I removed them.

Awesome rocks, btw. Free is a great price!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning Kev!

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing...different strokes, etc....I have been looking at TONS of tanks the last week or so, here and elsewhere...I just happen to like the look of the bubble "curtains" that you can get with the longer airstones...I am going to have 2 of them in the back of the tank...who knows, maybe later I'll change my mind...Mrs. Slap and Slap Juniorette like them to, so I'm going to at least start out with some...I'm not going to have A LOT of plants, but I do want some that are easy to care for, that hide the filter tubes, and that I can tie to some of the DW branches

Yes, I am fired up about getting those flat pieces of "rock", or whatever it is...getting closer to getting water in that tank (after over 500 posts talking about it)

BTW, TGIF!...now if I can just make it until beer-thirty

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Are the bubbles considered juvenile or something?...tacky?...unrealistic?...dumb?...it just seems like every time the idea of using an airstone just for the looks of the bubbles comes up, the idea is quickly dismissed as useless or a waste of time
    Morning Slap. Hey, keep in mind that this is your tank and you have the right to set it up anyway that you desire. You're the one that should be happy with it. There will come a time when other opinions just don't mater.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Morning Slap. Hey, keep in mind that this is your tank and you have the right to set it up anyway that you desire. You're the one that should be happy with it. There will come a time when other opinions just don't mater.
    Hi Taurus, happy Friday to you!...you are absolutely, 100% correct...it is my tank after all....and I will set it up as I wish

Mind you, no one has ridiculed or otherwise "bad-mouthed" (if you will) the idea of the bubble curtain to me...and I value everyone here's opinion...but that does not mean we'll always agree...and that's fine...it'd be quite a boring world if there were no differing opinions or issues to debate

0 Not allowed!
    I believe the aversion to bubbles stems from the fact that many here, including myself, attempt to make their tanks mimic a scene from nature. Bubbles just do not fit in with that scene. Also, years ago we were told that running an air pump was just another necessity of having a tank and it was a relief to find out that it was not necessary. I myself cannot stand the low hum sound of an air pump and actually stopped keeping tanks for a few years because of it.

While you will see people give their opinions on this subject, I doubt you will see many people actually advise against it. If you like bubbles then by all means go for it.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    You could invest in a Amazon Sword or a Crypt to hide your filter. Both are easy plants with simple requirements. =]

Water? You still want water in this tank?

TGIF indeed! I can't wait until beer-thirty, or heck, even quarter-of-beer!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kingfisher...yes, I can see that in nature, there probably aren't many "bubble curtains" that one would encounter...maybe near a waterfall, but a "curtain"?...doubtful

And while I'm at it, to go along with the BC's, I've decided to use a Spongebob Squarepants background............JUST KIDDING

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    You could invest in a Amazon Sword or a Crypt to hide your filter. Both are easy plants with simple requirements. =]

Water? You still want water in this tank?

TGIF indeed! I can't wait until beer-thirty, or heck, even quarter-of-beer!
    LOL....yeah, water may help with the tank, I'm thinking...I hear fish love it ....Swords for sure, I want something that will grow kind of tall...we have some sort of crypt in the 10 gallon, but it is short and bushy

Page 52 of 736 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast