· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 264 of 546 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 5456

Thread: Slap's 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I saw the mesh screens, not sure they would be much better than the sponges.
    I've decided to go ahead and set up my new canister for the 30 today. I'll use the AC110 sponge I made but I'm thinking of wrapping a piece of a nylon hose around it (as in panty hose) OR a piece of cheese clothe, which would also be quite pourus. I'm thinking that with the power the rena's have neither would inhibit the intake flow and any debris sucked into the PFS with adhere to the nylon or the cheese clothe.
    I'll see what I come up with. I'm just hoping I have enough seeded bio rings to keep my cycle when I get rid of the floss that's in my 2 hob. I have additional rings to add to it.
    Not as concerned about a mini cycle on the 30 as I am the 90. If I do experience a mini on the 30, I can easily keep up with extra water changes until it corrects itself.
    Guess I'm going to have to start a thread on the 30 gal - better late than never. It's only been up for 2 years :o)
    You might want to place the nylon around your filter intake tube's strainer and then keep the sponge around that, because from my experience, the finer the material the more hastily it will clog. I tried a media bag that was much like a nylon stocking. That was not a successful test. Yes, it kept everything out... even water.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    To answer the nerite/assassin question, I have an olive nerite in a tank where my assassins breed regularly. It's been there for well over a year, untouched by the assassins. Must be a female though as I do get the eggs a lot, mostly on the glass. I have another nerite in a second tank overrun with MTS. I added about 5 assassins from the breeding tank and they were no match for the MTS - they just seemed to disappear. But the nerite is going strong.

This is the tank I'll be tearing down soon as I can't stand MTS - I have hundreds and hundreds. I know lots of people buy these MTS but they are the worst for me and the assassins didn't touch them. They seem to be most effective against pond snails which they wiped out for me easily.

For prefilters, I've found that the coarser the better, particularly for water flow. The finer ones seem to suck in, in an hourglass shape and start to impede flow. I think the pantyhose will just keep clogging too much and that was my concern with the mesh prefilters also, although I haven't tried them.
    Fair warning:

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    lol, are you serious? If you ask, you shall receive, but I don't want to hear about "Kevin sent me plants w/ pest snails that took over my tank! Blah blah blah!" lol
    Absolutely serious...assassins need a balanced diet, too!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Very well, sir. Do you have a preference in snail? Do you know what yours eat?

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the eat...um...pond snails, lol....do you have a buffet to offer?...different selections?...lol

Just whatever, don't go out of your way to net them out, but all I'm saying is I won't mind some hitchers one bit, like all of us are usually against, lol

Gotta go cut the grass before more rains come, I'll talk to you later, buddy

0 Not allowed!
    There aren't any snails in my 75gal, Matt. What do you take me for?! I have plenty in my other tanks, though, so I'd have to net them out.

I could net out a ton if you wanted them. ;P Just sayin'!

Enjoy the day, man. We're getting more snow/ice tonight/tomorrow. I'm so over this...

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Lol I probably won't be mowing my yard for another 2 1/2 - 3 months
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    There aren't any snails in my 75gal, Matt. What do you take me for?! I have plenty in my other tanks, though, so I'd have to net them out.

I could net out a ton if you wanted them. ;P Just sayin'!

Enjoy the day, man. We're getting more snow/ice tonight/tomorrow. I'm so over this...
    LOL, I wasn't implying that you have a snail farm or anything...that must be the tank the clippings are coming from...

Don't go to too much trouble...I know it's freezing cold there, and highs are only supposed to be in the 50's here for most of next week....not even sure if they could survive the transit temps (?)....but if you want to get rid of some, throw them in a bag and we can try...if not, no big whoop

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Just got here, mowing the lawn, wow. Our lawn and pasture is realy enjoying all the rain, realy greened up in three days.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    LOL, I wasn't implying that you have a snail farm or anything...that must be the tank the clippings are coming from...

Don't go to too much trouble...I know it's freezing cold there, and highs are only supposed to be in the 50's here for most of next week....not even sure if they could survive the transit temps (?)....but if you want to get rid of some, throw them in a bag and we can try...if not, no big whoop
    I'm kidding. Yeah, the Cabomba and Parrots Feather are in my 75gal. I'd like to scape the plants now that they're growing in. Both are pretty much the same height, with exception to the front stems, and I'd like to create a cascading effect with them. So I'll definitely have trimmings for you this week.

I am keeping an eye on the weather, though. If we get snow tonight/tomorrow, I probably won't send anything until Wednesday or so. Not sure about ordering the fish, either, if this crap keeps up. ;/ I'm hoping that the snow melts pretty quickly and it warms up after the storm passes. That being said, the plants should be fine, and the snails typically can live in pretty cold water, so they'd probably be ok, too. Pest snails are literally the most resilient things I've ever had in my tanks. They survive ammonia in the 4ppm range, they survive brackish water for an extended period of time, they survive in tanks left alone without filtration or a heater, with no water changes or top offs. lol Worst pests ever. ;P

Page 264 of 546 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314364 ... LastLast