· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 545 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Slap's 40B

0 Not allowed!
    lol all good.

Slap,

I'd say real driftwood all the way... looks 1000x better and ages better (its not hard to do at all)

Having used turface and now black sand, I actually like both. Thats a very tough call. Plants can be done either way though. Just with sand you tie the stuff to the driftwood

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    The m0re I hang ar0und here, the m0re I learn, the m0re I learn ab0ut fish the m0re I r00t my th0ughts ar0und the fish That I want and have. My next build- when I am in a p0siti0n t0 get t0 it- will be primarily built ar0und the fish and their needs, but that is just my preference, n0w.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    OK, sorry guys....I'm getting hammered at work today, hard to keep up with your quick posts....

So I need to consider what fish i want, and then build from there?

I am thinking that I want a colorful community tank, maybe a couple of schools and then some others?

They will have to be relatively easy to keep fish, that get along well, and that will do well in a 40 breeder
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, how about de's options:

2 German Blue or Bolivian Rams (look best over black sand)
    8 Cory
    1 or 2 schools (Cardinal tetras, neons, serpae tetras, harlequin rasbora, hatchet fish, lemon tetra, rummeynose tetra)
    School of Otos, or 1-2 BN plecos

Or instead of rams do a harem of apistos, (1m 3f)

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Ok, how about de's options:

2 German Blue or Bolivian Rams (look best over black sand)
    8 Cory
    1 or 2 schools (Cardinal tetras, neons, serpae tetras, harlequin rasbora, hatchet fish, lemon tetra, rummeynose tetra)
    School of Otos, or 1-2 BN plecos

Or instead of rams do a harem of apistos, (1m 3f)
    OK, that is a start...i will have to do a little research and check out all of those you have mentioned...I truly appreciate the help, just not sure now if I should consider how I want the tank to look, then consider the fish, or the other way around

I wish I had pics of each of those fish you mentioned in your post, next to their names (hint, hint)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, Liveaquaria lists both the Rams and Apistos care level as "difficult" (?)...they ARE gorgeous fish, though

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You know.. I never did like the advanced fish - beginner fish concept. Research and you can keep any fish you want. Talk to experienced keepers and learn from their personal experiences with specific fish and you can keep any fish you want. If you want to subscribe to the advanced fish - beginner fish concept you may as well stock your new tank with mollys, guppies, or goldfish because if you never reach beyond your current skill level by researching you will never be able to keep anything else. If you want rams or apistos then read about them and ask people who have successfully kept them for a while (preferably years of experience) and learn from them what to expect and how to deal with any issues that may arise.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    Yay!!!!

I think it is safe to say we have all been waiting eagerly for you to break your 40g out of storage! I don't know about everyone else, but I love following these journals because it allows me to enjoy these new tanks vicariously... sort of feeding my MTS before I even have my first tank set up

I am eager to see your finished stand. As you know I am building one myself inspired by yourself and gronlaura. I will build it next week (can I borrow your neighbor?) so I would love to see your finished stand and learn from your build.

In terms of your many questions, I am far less experienced than you (or everyone else here, for that matter), but that has never stopped me from giving my opinions before, so here they are :

I chose to go with real plants mainly because I like how they can contribute to "closing" the nitrogen cycle, using up nitrates and producing oxygen. I am hoping that they will help nitrates rise more slowly than they otherwise would and help keep the tank more stable. The whole thing just seems "elegant". Taking care of the plants may represent some added work, but I like the idea of having them in the tank.

On stocking, not sure I can contribute anything original... as you know it took me a very long time to decide on mine! LOL. Plus, your larger tank gives you more choices than what I had! I like Hardy's suggestion of apistos or rams as "centerpieces" with 1-2 schools of small fish... the small schooling fish can be good "dither" to draw the shy Rams out of their caves.

The substrate will depend on whether you choose real plants or not, and will also somewhat depend on your stocking (cories?), so maybe you should wait on this one until you make those two decisions.

In terms of LED lights: If you choose to go with plants it will have a strong impact on the fixture you can choose. This is one I analyzed to death. If you go without plants I guess any good fixture will work. Some have blue LEDs to simulate moonlight. If you use plants, then you need a fixture of around 6500K, and suitable to the amount of light your plants will need. As you probably already know, the rule of "x watts per gallon" go out the window when you use LED lights. I found this thread extremely useful in helping me understand how much light I needed for my plant selection, and which fixtures can provide it.

So, it seems one of your next decisions is whether you want real plants or not!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    You know.. I never did like the advanced fish - beginner fish concept. Research and you can keep any fish you want. Talk to experienced keepers and learn from their personal experiences with specific fish and you can keep any fish you want. If you want to subscribe to the advanced fish - beginner fish concept you may as well stock your new tank with mollys, guppies, or goldfish because if you never reach beyond your current skill level by researching you will never be able to keep anything else. If you want rams or apistos then read about them and ask people who have successfully kept them for a while (preferably years of experience) and learn from them what to expect and how to deal with any issues that may arise.
    Thank you for that HB1...your comment helps to boost my confidence level...I just want to take care of my fish to the best of my ability.

I believe that I want to design a tank of my own, and then populate it with species that will be most comfortable with what I come up with...is this an OK plan?....there are so many choices to choose from when it comes to stocking that I'm becoming a bit overwhelmed by it, already

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Wow, Liveaquaria lists both the Rams and Apistos care level as "difficult" (?)...they ARE gorgeous fish, though
    I was somewhat intimidated by this at first. I want GBRs for my tank, and they are listed as "advanced" fish that can be very sensitive to water conditions. I figured I will add them last to my tank, in about 6 months or so after my tank is mature. By then, with all the help from this forum, I think I will be "experienced" enough to have water that is stable enough for the Rams. I would say go for it!

Page 2 of 545 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast