· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

happy holidays! - Jacko Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy new year! - Brookfish Happy New Year! - The Red Severum Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins 
    Welcome back - mommy1 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe Thanks for the Rep and compliment ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 For letting me keep the Cory's! - TexChuck 

Default The Garage Invasion.

4 Not allowed!
    Hey guys and girls,
    The big day has finally arrived. Started work on my shed modification.
    My poor boat has now lost some space and been forced to one side of the shed. But thats it's problem. MTS is more important.
    So to fill you in I use to have a 100g 83g 50g 50g cub 30g 32g 15g plus many more.
    Now all that I have left is the 100g 83g [which has it's own journal.] 50g 50g cub and the 32g. So the plan is to start one normal planted tank, two some breeding tanks and lastly keep one tank for last to try a reef tank.
    At this stage the main stand i will be using is what years ago use to house the 83g and 100g. The tank has been designed and engineered to with stand around 10 ton of weight according to the engineer plan.
    garage 2.jpg

So what is happening is the 100g will be in the lower level with I hope 3-4 10-15g breeding tanks on the top, including the Badis Badis tank at this stage. Though that may end up staying in the house possibly.
    As for the 100g who know what on earth I shall set it up for. There really is a ton of options as for what to keep!
    The 50g cube I am thinking some sort of bio type South american possibly angles. The next 50g I am thinking of setting it up last for a reef tank, although very unsure at this stage.
    The 32g which is left I am hoping will be either chucked of I am not worried given away to make room for at least 3-5 more smaller breeding tanks.

garage 1.jpggarage 3.jpg
    gargae 4.jpg

What I am doing in the shed to help insulate it is use some of the thick building polythene plastic. Used it a ton in hoarding and some times of I have used it in stoping hot and cold transferring a freezing works. Worked well for that so same system here. Polythene roof, heading back to the top of the wall. Down to a bottom plate on the ground. For the front I am thinking of a double curtain. For about half the year I can not really stress. But once winter kicks in na snow and cold just isn't not my plan for cheap power bills. So I hope this works well.

So feel free to pile me with questions options and ideas.

mac

1 Not allowed!
    Going to be a nice setup!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7 
    Figured you needed a little one to go with all those big guys - fishmommie Welcome Back! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Good luck in your new venture! - Silbar Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    I love when outside becomes an option ��

Awards Showcase

To help get you started on your SW adventure! - Silbar Congrats! New fish, safely delevered - RiversGirl Congrats on doing so well at your new job! - Silbar Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 
    Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year and I hope you Xmas was wonderful - Taurus You need a ram for your breeding project :) - angelcraze2 No Message - mac well done - mac 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats it's finally happening! : I like all the pictures so we can get a feel for what it looks like

Awards Showcase

happy holidays! - Jacko Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy new year! - Brookfish Happy New Year! - The Red Severum Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins 
    Welcome back - mommy1 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe Thanks for the Rep and compliment ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 For letting me keep the Cory's! - TexChuck 

4 Not allowed!
    Tons more to follow. When finish work tomorrow I will grab another 8 square meters of the polythene to finish the heat barrier. Then I can start fully planning. Sorting wiring out. Paining parts of the tanks black depending. Drawing up ideas list's ect. And on and on it goes.
    Had a quick catch up with the main LFS in my district and man reef fish are about average $100.00 Not bad at all. But to get live coral next to impossible. Unless i am happy to say import $6,000 worth my self. Yeah ah nah.

Also was looking at a nice bunch of canister filter. Both Fluval and Eheim.
    The main one that caught my eye was the Eheim professional 4+. Appart from the $900 price.

Will hope to post some more pics in the next three days of some new work done.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Will hope to post some more pics in the next three days of some new work done.
    Looking forward to it. Your fish room is going to be fabulous!

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Managed to get hold of the plastic from work today for free. So now can finish that job of with in the next few days.
    Finally decided what I am going to do with the 100g, and do some discus show tank. Hope to be able to find a pair or paid up from a school.
    I have read a ton of books articles from the internet about discus, and it seems to be to much conflicting information. Even from the forums.
    The key thing I am unsure about is how some groups say keep as many as you can then weed out the aggressive ones. Other groups say keep either a single one or a pain.
    While others are busy saying add more to the single one or pair. Then other people talk about how they can be aggressive ect to each other. Then others say they are great at the same time.
    Whats the go with it??

Awards Showcase

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7 
    Figured you needed a little one to go with all those big guys - fishmommie Welcome Back! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Good luck in your new venture! - Silbar Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    disclaimer: Personally bred discus for over 10 years, this is how I do it and not how everyone else does.

It never fails me to buy 8-10 of the same type, get 2 pairs and sell off the rest. I like to start with fish 2-3in in size and power feed to grow out. Usually in this process there will be a few that dont look so great and a few that have true breeder quality that you want, remember they came from the same line most of the time, they have all the same genes, so I would focus more on who becomes a better parent then who is the prettiest.

Also - strains - do NOT start with any pigeon blood strain. They are albino bases that pepper in even semi-bad water, they dont turn dark for the fry to see them and its a real challenge to breed these guys! Red turqs are the easiest strain to breed and breed true in my opinion.

Please - PLEASE - do not try to cross strains.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the reply Sandz, I do hope you know I am going to be fling tons of questions through you through the discus build.

Been slowly reading my way through the discus stickies. Certainly giving me some high lights on them.
    At this stage I am planning on getting the Latest Enhime professional of this new adventure to fit in with the main 100g tank. I will be planting there is now way I can do a tank with out.
    Although I will from what I have read break the rules for the fry raising. But that is way in the future.
    Right now I actually have a single discus. How do they go on their own. All the reading I have done over the web is drawn 50/50 in whats best single or large groups?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    single discus is going to depend on his or her personality - if they are confident and a bruiser they will be a great fish. otherwise they can go to the background and wither away.

For a discus tank you want large groups - they are actually a schooling fish. For success I would go read Judy's thread she did. I guided her through a bunch of stuff along with a lot of others on here and shes still succeeding today. I offered to pay for the fish and shipping to me if she ever got out of it :-)