· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Default The Return of the King

7 Not allowed!
    It's been about five and a half years since my departure from the freshwater scene since the discus incident. I think it's about time to return once again to the king of freshwater fishes.

I have a perfect spot that will fit the tank. So my thinking is to start again with discus fishes and some dither fishes. I'm looking into getting the tank imported from China. There are several manufacturers that are making some very nice setups. Most likely, the tank will be over 100 gallons.

As for layout, I don't think I will go planted. I want a tank that isn't cluttered and have a lot of open space. Maybe a driftwood here and there and some sand.

In the meantime, I'm contacting my favorite discus suppliers to see what's special in the coming month.

Stay tuned as more pan out.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    Nice! Stoked to see this come to life. I don't see many discus tanks here in the journals, so it will be cool to follow along and see what all is involved.

Discus "incident...?" My curiosity is piqued.

29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Crowntail tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

1 Not allowed!
    I'm -- excitedly -- tuned in!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Nice! Stoked to see this come to life. I don't see many discus tanks here in the journals, so it will be cool to follow along and see what all is involved.

Discus "incident...?" My curiosity is piqued.
    Yep, I'm excited as well.

This Incident...

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I'm -- excitedly -- tuned in!
    Me too! I miss those flat dinner plates!
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat To match your Super speed LOL - 850R 
    Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax Thanks! - Scrup 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

1 Not allowed!
    I remember reading that thread when you posted it. What if anything ended up happening between you and the aunt/cousin who were responsible for the deaths of so many fish?

Also, what's unique about the tanks from china that you're considering importing?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, danios, bronze corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Jeeeeeesus!!!!! Oh my god that was horrible! I have no idea how I would react to that little monster. When he told you "they're just fish" when his parents brought him by to apologize...that made my blood boil.

As many others already said in that thread, that was intentional malicious behavior by a troubled kid. 10 year olds know right from wrong, and he KNEW what he was doing when he dumped every bottle of crap he could find into the tanks. The proof is the medication. He told mommy "oh, i thought they were hungry so I fed them." Oh yeah? Well why did you dump all the meds in the tank, as well?

I don't mean to bring up old wounds. I'm sorry. I just felt heartbroken reading through that thread. What ever happened to the ones who pulled through? Did you find them new homes?

29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Crowntail tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

1 Not allowed!
    My cousin is much better now, after much counseling to help him and his parents. My aunt/uncle also took more time to spend with him instead of working and things worked out for them.

As for why I'm importing, it is the overall design of the cabinets, filtration system, and remote control access. When I was visiting HK last year, I saw the tank at the client's company and I came to like the design. Plus I like to try out different products; so I'm willing to take the plunge.

4 Not allowed!
    Yep, found them new homes and gave them away to other hobbyists I knew who were into discus. I believe some are still alive now. It speaks volume on their ability to bounce back from near death experience in the soup of toxin given the right care.

It was an expensive lesson for his parents, but could've been worse if he was doing other things. Good thing is he turned a new leaf, and I think that's something the family is thankful about.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

3 Not allowed!
    Just read through that thread on the discus and can't imagine going through something like that. I know it's been several years now and I hope that kid is truly better as you say and you were indeed compensated. Glad you're wiling to give it a go again and will be watching your progress.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - fishmommie Happy Easter - steeler58 glad you're back - showmebutterfly 
    Happy new year ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on the new fish - Silbar Here's to new fish and a safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 Happy Birthday - gadget228 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Yep, found them new homes and gave them away to other hobbyists I knew who were into discus. I believe some are still alive now. It speaks volume on their ability to bounce back from near death experience in the soup of toxin given the right care.

It was an expensive lesson for his parents, but could've been worse if he was doing other things. Good thing is he turned a new leaf, and I think that's something the family is thankful about.
    I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up reading that old thread. So much pain, so much damage..and yet so much strength to take care of the whole situation. I admire you Spardas. You are a credit to your craft. I look forward to seeing this new beginning...was glad to hear your cousin actually learned from his horrible actions....