· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default OnTheFly returns to the hobby-journal

1 Not allowed!
    After a full 20 year absence I found this forum and decided to re-enter the hobby after much reading. I don't have the budget to do what I would like without waiting for some sales, or picking up some used gear. I've had problems with sellers responding to inquiries for used gear so I thought I would establish a tank that will eventually be my breeder and/or nursery. This will be my 10 gallon journal. I'll start a different journal when I settle on my large community tank.

I picked up a few things yesterday and will continue that commentary in subsequent posts. I'm sure I am not the only one who takes a long break. Perhaps others can learn from my mistakes when they re-enter in the future. Perhaps this forum can lesson the severity of my errors as I proceed.

2 Not allowed!
    Good job starting the journal, many visit this area of the forum, you'll get lots of good and helpful info here.

For a true (modern) newbie experience, see the 10G journal in my sig below...tons of good info was offered there...but please don't judge, I had no clue what I was doing back then, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Day One- Dewayne visits the local pet stores for supplies.

Most of the old stores were still there, although they have changed ownership a time or two. It’s mostly a big box game now of course but we have a few locally owned garden centers.

Although I wasn’t fish shopping, I did look at the live-bearer stock. The quality was completely pathetic compared to the 70s-90s. They had quality fish in the more currently popular and more expensive species though for a future tank. Glad I didn’t desire to purchase fish yesterday.

I picked up a few items, with an eye on the future so I didn’t pick up the minimum required for a 10G. I’ll mention brands and models so I don’t stock up excessively on junk for multiple aquariums.

I looked at the combo 10G kits. It would have been nice to have an affordable light and lid but it mostly looked like junk accessories I would soon upgrade, so I passed. Instead I purchased….

-Glass 10G aquarium from Petco, found one with decent sealer work.

-Whisper EX30 filter. I checked cost of available filters and this one seemed like a decent choice. Too aggressive for a fry tank though.

-Marina 100W submersible heater. I’ll use it in a larger tank later. I won’t need a heater soon where this tank is located. The cheaper options looked too cheap. I don’t desire a fish boil. The heater I purchased is almost too long to use in a vertical position.

-great price on some bulk substrate. Gravel, but the finest texture I have ever used. Shop keeper told me I should buy 20#. I have about 10# left but that is OK. A one inch layer in aquarium.

Everything seems to be functioning properly. Don’t let me forget to discuss my well water later.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 03-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Don’t let me forget to discuss my well water later.
    You're going to need a TDS meter, and a gh/kh test kit, but most importantly, the API Freshwater Master test kit
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Some Holiday Cheer - SueD Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 
    To get you through the day. Bork! - Taurus mmmm chocolate - Brhino Congrats with the trivia comtest. - Slaphppy7 Trivia winner! - Slaphppy7 For all your help and knowledge you have given me - Hockey nut 

3 Not allowed!
    Good you avoided the aquarium kit trap. Like you saw; the kits are mostly garbage since the filter, light and heater is not usually quality materials and has to be replaced immediately or in the near future.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp,-grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, -grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You're going to need a TDS meter, and a gh/kh test kit, but most importantly, the API Freshwater Master test kit
    Hope this doesn't come across argumentative but let's get this out of the way and have a happy thread. What you just mentioned are "wants". I raised fish for almost 20 years in this water, to include SW, with very good results. Just vacuumed the gravel, changed out 25% of the water about once a month and didn't overcrowd my tanks. My current "needs" are to help my daughter with college expenses so she can stop working full-time at the expense of her grades. No hard feelings and I hope that wasn't too personal. It's just my current reality. You guys and gals are incredibly friendly. I really mean that. I will do this as right as I can learn as I go as I proceed toward a larger tank. In the meantime I may kill $20 worth of guppies and swordtails. I don't think so but I will admit it here if that happens. On to the water.....

I have a 276ft deep well and live semi rural near a limestone quarry. A long time since I had my water tested. It runs fairly hard. Mid teens to my recollection. PH is reasonable for livebearers. I will buy test equipment as I can. I don't want to stare at an empty aquarium for an extended period. I will probably drop a few live plants and a couple cheap fish in soon to get the biological process started.

I will learn how to properly cycle a tank and monitor water quality before this gets serious with a large tank and show quality fish, which is my eventual goal.

1 Not allowed!
    I believe he was talking about whenever you try your hand at Discus OnTheFly

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    No he meant today. :)

And that's OK. He is just looking out for me. I get it the hobby has advanced. My neighbors partially bury a kids swimming pool in the back yard, fill it with plants and rocks and grow livebearers outside all summer. That tells me the water is decent and these species are pretty adaptable with some amount of care.

Awards Showcase

Some Holiday Cheer - SueD Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe 
    To get you through the day. Bork! - Taurus mmmm chocolate - Brhino Congrats with the trivia comtest. - Slaphppy7 Trivia winner! - Slaphppy7 For all your help and knowledge you have given me - Hockey nut 

3 Not allowed!
    Well what Matt mentioned are needs, and you can go out a buy a bottle of ammonia to do a fishless cycle for a lot less than $20 for the livebearers you are going to cycle your tank with. Save the $20 for the test kit instead, and add a GH/KH just to check the actual hardness of the well water if you haven't had it tested-or if it isn't tested by your village if it runs it.

Without knowing the levels of ammonia and nitrite you are in for a lot of deaths in an aquarium. I understand this worked a while back-and I did have tanks back then too where you didn't have access to all of these tests and the hobby was hit and miss for many, but its good to get into the habit and get the experience of setting a tank up in a way that is the least stressful to you and your fish, and in my experience using the fishless cycle, testing your water and weekly water changes are a part of it.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp,-grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, -grow out tank for bamboo shrimp
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Without knowing the levels of ammonia and nitrite you are in for a lot of deaths in an aquarium.
    I guess we are going to debate this anyway. 20 years of raising live-bearers and some SW without killing them says this is a generalization. I started with decent water, kept the water clean, and it worked. It's my position that there is a very wide range in the sensitivity from one species to the next.