· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 131 1231151101 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 So sorry about your brother. - SeaLady wonderful fish tank you have there. - SeaLady Happy Friday, Joe! - BluewaterBoof Happy Birthday - gadget228 
    Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the new job! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang To help get you started on your SW adventure! - Silbar Congrats! New fish, safely delevered - RiversGirl 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

Default Joe's Amazon River Biotope

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone new setup here, this is after I cycled for a month with guppies. I have some other pics of the initial set up ill upload to :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl 
    I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava Good luck to Drake! - Silbar 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

2 Not allowed!
    New journal!

Welcome to the Community

I look forward to following your build!

Tanks that are up and running:
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    90 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Betta Sorority tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 So sorry about your brother. - SeaLady wonderful fish tank you have there. - SeaLady Happy Friday, Joe! - BluewaterBoof Happy Birthday - gadget228 
    Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the new job! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang To help get you started on your SW adventure! - Silbar Congrats! New fish, safely delevered - RiversGirl 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    New journal!

Welcome to the Community

I look forward to following your build!
    Thanks for the enthusiasm!! You have some awesome setups yourself I'm going to upload pics and a little detail behind the reasoning and thought of the tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had numerous tanks in the past even worked in aquaculture facility (UF) for a few years. Then life of course shifts directions sometimes. So now I have the opportunity to set back up in the house I'm at. Its been several years since I've used my 55g but the tank and supplies all work mostly...needed a new hood that's about it. And of course new substrate and filter media peat,carbon etc..

Here she is all cleaned up and ready for the liquid life!
    fish6.jpg

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    So the plan is a strict Amazon Biotope. Mainly because I've spent a significant part of my child hood taking expeditions to the Amazon basin collecting fish among many other animals and vertebrates. And I feel a strong connection when I watch these specific species.

I have so far here just added conditioned water. Carribsea Super Naturals™ sand/gravel and a few cave structures and rocks nothing permanent just threw in there while tank "cycles".
    fish5.jpg
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 11-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    So my Filtration is an Emperor 400 hang on with biowheels and a Hydor 1600 proaquatics canister now called Prime 20.
    I've added two sword plants Echinodorus argentinensis (Argentine) and Echinodorus parviflorus (Rosette) and at least three bunches of Egeria densa(Anachris) After about a month of fish in "cycle" with 13 Guppies. I've added 10 Corydoras 6 aeneus (Albino Cory) and 4 Brochis splendens (Green Cory) 11 Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (Black Skirt Tetra) and 5 Hemigrammus ocellifer (Beacon Tetra)

IMG213.jpg

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Only about 4 guppies perished, mainly due to over aggressive males. Also added more drift wood and rock structures creating natural caves between the wood and rock. Making sure the floor of the aquarium is varied but still open. Im filtering peat granules making the water super soft and slightly acidic to replicate "natural" water. Never used peat before, however from reading on the forum and my own test results its definitely working. However I tend to use distilled water during water change to keep ph neutral/consistent rather then tap.

IMG_20151113_175001.jpg

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl 
    I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava Good luck to Drake! - Silbar 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I'm still a noob :) A lot of my success comes from the help and advice I've received from the other members here. We have a great group of people in the AC. Very friendly and lots of experience.

That's really cool that you had the opportunity to do that kind of work out in the field. I'm jealous!

Looks like a solid plan/setup. Can't wait to see the tank once the plants are in. Will this be strictly amazon swords and anacharis?

EDIT: Oops! Looks like you added a couple more progression shots since I last reloaded the page haha Looks great!

Tanks that are up and running:
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    90 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Betta Sorority tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Thanks! I'm still a noob :) A lot of my success comes from the help and advice I've received from the other members here. We have a great group of people in the AC. Very friendly and lots of experience.

That's really cool that you had the opportunity to do that kind of work out in the field. I'm jealous!

Looks like a solid plan/setup. Can't wait to see the tank once the plants are in. Will this be strictly amazon swords and anacharis?
    I was very lucky for sure! I will be on the hunt for more plants they just have to originate from South America. The sword plants are in already they have a good amount of growth lots of new shoots. I got them in a tube so they had lots of dead leaves :/

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Ive actually collected a baby Osteoglossum bicirrhosum!! Silver Arawana. I was on a black lake somewhere off a tributary in Loreto Peru area. I was using rod and reel and topwater for peacock bass mainly. But I've collected so many different species just off rod and reel tackle. I think I was about 14 or 15 at the time. lol