· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 174 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Boof's 55g

Awards Showcase

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe 
    Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

Default Boof's 55g

4 Not allowed!
    Ok, so this journal might be premature since I don't actually have the tank yet, but I'm supposed to be picking it up after work today.

I've been wanting a large tank since day one. I was kinda holding out until I could find a 40b or a 75g as I wanted a wide footprint. One of my concerns with the 18" wide footprint, though, is that this tank will be going up next to a short divider wall that separates the living room and dining room...I think the slimmer 55 would look better between the rooms than a super wide breeder/75. We have two large dogs and a kid always running around, so it will also be a bit safer having a tank that hugs the wall.

The stand will be diy; the same setup as the one that holds the 29/10 combo...2 2x6 planks resting on top of 9 cinder blocks. Not fancy, but rock-solid and the other stand looks just fine with a black sheet draped over it, so it should be fine.

The tank is coming with filter, heater, lid, and lights. The black diamond blasting sand works great in the 29g and is super cheap, so that will be used for this tank, as well.

I'm not sure what I want to stock with, but it will be another community tank. I'm sure my list will change 20 times over the next couple of months, but I would love to get some suggestions from y'all. I do have several critters that are absolutely going in the tank:

Julii cories (7-10 of them)
    Kuhli loaches (6)
    Tons of shrimp
    Rummynose tetras

The cories, loaches, and rummies are all things I've wanted for a long time but didn't want to shoehorn into the 29g. As for the rest of the tank, I would really like to get as many different species as I can. Like Slap, I want variety in my tanks :)

It will be planted, of course, but I need to spend some time researching different types of rocks and driftwood. I want to curb the loaches' tendency to dig around, and I've read that providing a bunch of hiding places will limit their need to burrow.

So that's it, for now. This was all kind if sprung on me last night after I got home, so I have several weeks of researching/planning ahead of me. I want to get my plant list sorted out as quickly as possible so that I won't be staring at an empty tank for the next month.

Let me see your stocking suggestions!
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - RCS tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

2 Not allowed!
    Well, you'll certainly have a number of options for this longer tank. I'd look at some of the larger tetras like the diamond and emperor tetras. Maybe even some congo tetras. Here's a nice site to start your search

http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Tetras/

4 Not allowed!
    tetras, tetras, and of course, tetras
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe 
    Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

0 Not allowed!
    Diamonds and emperors look great! I really like the Congo, as well, but they're super expensive :(

Anyone have experience with black phantoms? Lee?

5 Not allowed!
    If you want many species, I would stick to small to medium size fish. The larger fish will limit how many total fish you can have and the behavior of the others. As Matt stated, his rosy tetras are much more active now that the colombians are gone. I think a few larger schools of smaller fish and 2-3 of medium size fish would look great. I like the look of many small fish and not as many bigger fish.

I definitely recommend diamond tetras, 8-10 minimum, I also like 10-12 harleys for the top (very colorful) and then your rummies, cories, kuhlies & shrimp. I also recommend a nice school of 10 red tail rasbora, the new fish in my 75 gal. I think a school of maybe 8-10 black phantoms would look great, a different body type and a good community fish.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Zebra Danio, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras, Peacock Gudgeon
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Here's to TGIF, and the AC - Slaphppy7 Happy Friday, Lee! - BluewaterBoof Sorry about the Reed Tetras - Silbar Worth your weight in gold..fish...thanks - SeaLady Movin' on up! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for being a friend - Slaphppy7 First beer is on me, Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Congrats on #8! - Slaphppy7 TGIF, we need that tradition back! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Diamonds and emperors look great! I really like the Congo, as well, but they're super expensive :(

Anyone have experience with black phantoms? Lee?
    Congrats on the new tank, a 55g gives you a lot of room to work with especialy if you want the keep smaller species.

As far as Black phantoms, they are one of my favorite fish even though I have not kept them in awhile, the males have an impressive dorsal fin to rival the Rosys and Diamonds, the females stay smaller and have the added way of telling them apart by being more red in color. Only reason I don't keep them is because the Red phantom became more available and the Yellow is probably the most attractive of the three ;-)

A school of emperors would look great along with one of the three phantoms and you can't go wrong w9th Rummy nose as they are attractive and one of the best schooling fish IMO ;-)

Your Julii cories would be a perfect fish with the schools I've mentioned.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

4 Not allowed!
    Ok, so a little update.

Picked up the tank. All I can say is "wow." Seeing this thing inside the house makes me glad that I didn't get something bigger lol 55g doesn't look like much on paper, but a 4ft-long tank sitting on a living room floor in front of my 29g really put things into perspective. This will make a great "wall" separating the living/dining areas.

The tank is a mess, though. The original owner had planned on a 10-day vacation in Mexico; ended up staying for over a month. Everything had died, of course, and the gradual evaporation over that timeframe left hard water stains on the top 6" of the glass. I did a white vinegar soak overnight, which removed a good portion of the stains, but it still looks pretty bad. I'll be stopping off at Home Depot tonight so that I can pick up some Bar Keepers Friend, which is the aquarist's secret weapon against hard water stains that vinegar won't remove. Non-abrasive all-purpose cleaner that rinses clean and won't contaminate the tank or silicone.

Thanks for all the info on the fish! Rita keeps hounding me to turn it into a cichlid tank... No!!! Haha I told her that if she wants a cichlid tank so badly she can start her own aquarium :P

I really like the black phantoms. I think those will join the cories, loaches, and rummynose as definite additions to the tank. I also like the diamonds, but with the warnings about larger fish spooking the smaller ones I'm not sure I want to try them as they're about the same size as the columbians that Matt had issues with.

So what kind of a total population limit am I looking at here with the 55g, not counting the bottom-dwellers, if I stay with fish that are 2" or less? Would five shoals of various tetras be reasonable, if I kept each shoal at 7-10 fish? I have close to 40 fish in the 29g, but more than half of those are neons that stay in the lower region of the tank. I'm not sure if "twice the gallons" equates to "twice the fish" lol

1 Not allowed!
    5 would be more than reasonable...what filtration are you planning?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It came with an AquaTech 30-60 filter, but I want to get a second filter for the other end of the tank...probably another AC50.

3 Not allowed!
    Dude, you need a canister for a 55G!