· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default prog_frog's 20g long tank

1 Not allowed!
    Hi, all -

We have a new 20 gallon long tank at home, currently in the fishless cycling phase, so I thought I'd start a journal to log our progress with it. It's been a long road already as we're at about day 19 and still have not gotten rid of all the ammonia on the first pass yet or seen any nitrites, despite keeping it warm and well-aerated in there. This hobby does teach patience!

I'm not sure what will go in there yet, partially the rather hard and alkaline water coming out of the tap limits our options. I'll post specific parameters soon, but pH is roughly 8.2 and GH/KH are in the 12-18 degree range. We do have a water softener, but I've started getting the water before it hits the softener, because it seems that soft and alkaline is an even weirder mix in terms of choosing appropriate fish. We also have an RO unit upstairs which would be a bit of a pain to transport but could be mixed with the non-softened tap to hopefully lower the pH below 8.0 at least. Another option to lower the pH would be to incorporate CO2 injection (which would also benefit live plants if we have them) but I know nothing about that and if it's worth the extra time and cost.

We could go the small African cichlid route to just choose fish that fit our water profile, but my wife doesn't seem that interested in them, partially because of their territorial natures. I also made the mistake of purchasing, cleaning, and putting in the substrate before choosing the fish (partially to let our daughter have some say in the aesthetics of the tank). Otherwise I might've been able to sway the family towards something like small shell-dwellers (e.g., neolamprologus multifasciatus).

If we can get the pH down a bit with the RO/tap mix, our current thinking for a stocking scheme is a school of zebra danios at the top and a decent-sized group of one of the pygmy cory species at the bottom/middle. Any thoughts on this combination? I'm not sure if there would be room for anything else, given that both the danios and cories will be happier in larger groups, but a couple of peaceful slightly larger fish might be a nice contrast to round everything out.

In addition to the gravel, which is a dark blue mix, I've already painted the back of the tank black.

Thanks in advance for reading and commenting! I'll post a picture of the tank as it stands soon!

~Doug

1 Not allowed!
    Here's how the tank looks at the moment (our daughter chose the gravel color - not very natural looking, but I think it looks sharp with the painted black background!).

IMG_0511.jpg
    Last edited by prog_frog; 09-02-2016 at 01:15 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    As of yesterday evening (Day 20 of the fishless cycle), ammonia is down to about 1 ppm from an initial level of 3ppm(ish), but still no evidence of any nitrates, which is surprising. It's a new test kit and I've checked to make sure it doesn't change color and then change back as some have experienced. I'm starting to get used to the idea that for whatever reason, my fishless cycles take about twice as long as most other folks, and the nitrite readings often just don't show up. It's a mystery.

2 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome. Tank looks great, daughter made nice choice with gravel color-and you can burry that airstone so its not visible-its won't affect its flow.

Regarding your cycle: do you mean nitrites? After ammonia is 0 you would start to see nitrItes first, then when the bacteria that breaks down nitrItes grow and break that down you will start to see nitrAtes. You are only a little over 2 weeks into the fishless cycle, and the first stage is over if you have 1 ppm ammonia from 3 ppm, so you are making good progress. From what I have heard/read the second stage bacteria can take a little longer to grow so patience is the key.

The RO water with your tap water is a good choice as a lot of softened water is done by adding/removing salts to the water which can be harmful to fish.

You may be surprised at how adaptable fish are, many fish for softer waters have very little problems acclimating to higher pH or harder waters. Check with some of your smaller Mom/Pop local fish stores and ask them what their pH is for the fish they sell that will fit in your tank size. Many of those fish may already be acclimated to the water conditions in your area so you won't have to alter what you already have.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/
    Zebra danios are very active fish and would need a 3 foot tank, I have two 20L tanks and don't think they are big enough for them. I do have some of the pygmy corys in my one tank with 20 ember tetras.

If you love the danios, the glowlight may work for you in the 30" tank

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...hthys-choprae/

Also active but smaller and a gorgeous yellow to go with that pretty blue gravel.

Good luck to you and don't get discouraged, you are cycling nicely though it may seem like you are stalled.
    75g- Tetra, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Blue Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the thoughts, Boundava. Yes, I meant to type nitrItes.

Given that tomorrow is the 3-week mark, I thought we'd have gotten a little further by this point. I know it's not stalled, just a bit slow. But wouldn't you expect to start seeing nitrItes as soon as ammonia begins dropping, since the former is the waste product of the first type of bacteria to show up?

The glowlight danios are pretty! I have seen them in our nano fish book but that picture showed a red with blue variant. The yellow would pop beautifully against the darker background and substrate, so it's definitely a possibility. :)

2 Not allowed!
    Be patient, your cycle is moving along as it should.

Excellent advice from Natalia. Below is a link to a great article about keeping soft water fish in hard water, you have many more options than you might think. If possible, it is better to work with the water you have. Also, make sure that the fish you stock are compatible with your size tank. The tank footprint (length x depth front to back) is very important, especially for active fish that need a lot of swimming room or schooling fish that like to swim from side to side in a group.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwsoftness.htm
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Wild Caught BNP, Mystery Snail
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras, Peacock Gudgeon
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2 Not allowed!
    Also it took me 3 weeks to cycle and I had added a small amount of seeded media from my 75. Your cycle is actually fast compared to some others, think one person's took 3 months...I forget who that was though?

Glad you like the glowlights...they are a pretty alternative.
    Last edited by Boundava; 09-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    75g- Tetra, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Blue Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tip on burying the air wall thingy - I tried that and it looks better now!

Today is Day 23 of the fishless cycle, and the ammonia is continuing its slow decline. Though I'm having a hard time telling for sure, it looks to be somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm. No nitrItes yet.

My other water parameters are:

pH - 8.2
    KH - 6 degrees
    GH - 10 degrees

This is with about a 70/30 tap to RO ratio. I know that without the RO, the KH and GH would both be higher (probably about 12 and 15, respectively). Unfortunately, that percentage of RO is not bringing my pH down. I've got a TDS meter on order, so later in the week I'll be able to see what that number is.

We seem to be focusing in on a stocking list, so at the moment I'm thinking:

12x celestichthys choprae (Glowlight danio)
    8-10x corydoras hastatus/habrosus/pygmaeus - I have to do some research on these to get a sense for which would work best, and also the number to get

That's to start, at least. I'm wondering about perhaps some nerite snails, or 1-2 larger peaceful fish that would do well in our water. Any thoughts on this stocking scheme would be appreciated!

I'm also planning on live plants so it's time to start researching which ones would work best with the fish above and the water parameters.

0 Not allowed!
    Day 25 and ammonia and nitrites are still at the same levels. So not much to report at the moment.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about where I might get the glowlight danios from, for example. I hear people love The Wet Spot, but it's clear across the country so I'm on the hunt for somewhere reputable in the Northeastern US (if possible) that sells them.

2 Not allowed!
    Try Rachel O'Leary at msjinkzd.com. She's in PA.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Wild Caught BNP, Mystery Snail
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras, Peacock Gudgeon
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"