· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Frogs' New Home

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for sharing the hummingbird cam link. - Silbar   congrats on the new baby - Hockey nut   because you are going to need it with the new baby - Hockey nut   Thanks for the rep! Sorry about your losses :( - Silbar   I love your new butterfly garden1 - Silbar   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   

Default Frogs' New Home

6 Not allowed!
    It's time for the 2 African Dwarf Frogs to move out of the 29G and into their own place.

As we've added fish to the tank, it's become increasingly more difficult to feed the frogs, and to be sure they are eating their share of food. Even with a turkey baster aimed directly in front of the frogs, the fish win the food battle every time. They're just quicker and more aggressive.

I picked up a 5G tank at the Reptile Expo over the weekend. My fingers are crossed that it will hold water, since I don't know if it's made for that purpose. So far it hasn't leaked. It's sitting inside of a plastic tub now, just in case (thanks to RiversGirl for the suggestion).

I bought a small heater and a small "internal" filter, but both of those are going back - heater didn't work, and filter doesn't fit the way it should. I ordered a different filter, and I'm hoping for better results, and I'm looking for another heater. According to some information I've read online, neither piece of equipment is entirely necessary, but for the location of the tank and the temperature of our house I think the frogs will be better off with both.

My daughter decorated the tank - she told me before we went to the store that she had her idea already in her head and she'd know what to buy when she saw it. It took her 10 minutes to find what she wanted. We've never been in and out of the pet store so quickly!

This is her design of the tank before we added water to it.

Once we have the proper heat and filtration, the frogs can move in.

IMG_1874.jpg
    My 10 year-old's 29 gallon FW tank
    thick lipped sunset gourami, von rio tetras, glowlight tetras, neon tetras,
    platy, phantom tetras, rummynose tetras, otos, assassin snails
    5G Frog Habitat
    3 African Dwarf Frogs, nerite snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I love this new journal. I will be following along.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Good luck with the new set-up...your daughter did a fine job getting the tank ready
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for sharing the hummingbird cam link. - Silbar   congrats on the new baby - Hockey nut   because you are going to need it with the new baby - Hockey nut   Thanks for the rep! Sorry about your losses :( - Silbar   I love your new butterfly garden1 - Silbar   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   

5 Not allowed!
    Whoohoo! The heater works, and I love this new little filter that's exactly what I wanted! As long as the water level reaches the "minimum" line, it will work fine. I'd like to keep the tank just 2/3 full so there is less pressure on the walls (convinced myself that this is how I'm going to avoid a flood - HAHA). The flow is adjustable and I can move the arm so that the water is falling almost against the side wall of the tank. I added a couple ceramic balls, and a bit of my biobag to the tiny little filter media cartridge. Can't wait till K gets home to see the completed set up.

(also, I want more frogs!)

IMG_1877.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Glad your new equipment worked out well for you!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks! This filter is WORLDS better than the first one. And there is no noise from it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Looks like a great setup! You and the kiddo did a fabulous job!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    That little filter is just perfect for this tank. What filter is it?
    K will be so happy
    Oh, and I knew you would want more frogs...lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    That little filter is just perfect for this tank. What filter is it?

http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Aq...nal+filter+TOM

K will be so happy

Oh, and I knew you would want more frogs...lol.

I want to hear them sing!
    Last edited by Fish & Bird Kid; 03-15-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The tank looks good. How long have you had the frogs?