· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default My new 340 gal planted tropical

2 Not allowed!
    So this is it. My new bride of almost 1 year got me a present for Christmas/birthday that I will never forget. A new fish tank. A big fish tank. The last tank (maybe) that I will be doing for a long time. (maybe...) I don't think anymore will fit in the house. I have never done a journal before so this may be a crappy read but I hope the pictures make in worth it in the end.

The tank. 340 gallons. I have never seen a tank this long in a house. I love it and it doesn't even have water in it yet. 130" wide x 25.5" deep x 24.5" tall. Over ten feet of swimming room.

The stock. Currently I have a 75 gallon African mbuna tank and a 125 gallon planted tank. Everything from my 125 will be going into the 340. This includes, but may not be limited to...... 30 to 40 tiger barbs, 25 to 30 neon tetras, 6 Australian rainbows, 4 bosemans, 1 glow tetra, 1 African featherfin (if he is still to big for the mbuna tank. they were very small.) 1 clown pleco, 1 bristle nose pleco, 4 clown loaches, 2 gold gouramis, 6 red blue tetras, 4 emerald corys, 15 ottos, 7 or 8 zebra danios, and 7 or 8 kuhli loaches. Im prolly forgetting something.

Plants. I only use low leds, but am surprised at the growth I have had on my tank. current lighting is 2 marineland single brights and a double bright. Tons of growth tho, I have to take a lot out each month. So planted will be java ferns, java moss, marimo balls, Anubis nana, 2 swords, a bunch of narrow leaf chain sword, cambomba, wisteria maybe cause it grows to fast. I use root tabs and flourish. no co2.

Still need to get new led lights and filters for this tank, as I am going to redo the 125 after the transfer. I will move both fluval 406s to the new tank, along with a new FX6 and a new 406. New therms, powerheads and air pumps as well. I will post a few pics of my current 125 to get going, but they are cell pics so they are not the best.

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Some of the new tank and stand. I built the stand.

Need to reinforce my floor before I fill, and it is new manufacture, so I am waiting an extra 4 weeks for silicone to cure. I will be filling right after valentines day. so until then, maybe I can catch some good shots of my fish.

Also shopping for some new driftwood. Substrate will be black diamond blasting sand. Lights will most likely be 4 marineland double bright setups with 2 single bright setups. Deep tank will prolly need two rows of lighting as I find the leds shoot pretty straight donw. This much light may be to much but this tank is deeper than the 125 and I can always take some off. Filters will be an FX6 and either 2 406s or a second FX6. maxi jets for powerheads. therms are not yet selected but I will prolly have 3 300w. Air pumps, prolly tetras cuz they have always worked well. May go with a 3d background. Please offer opinions if any or all of this is good, garbage, or anywhere in between.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    and for fun, my 75g African tank.

10 yellow labs, 20 Demisoni. all bought at babies, growing nicely.

3 Not allowed!
    All I can say is, hold on to that woman! I know some of the married ones here end up in the dog house just for mentioning a tank that large! I can't wait to see all the plants and fish in there! I'm currently running a low tech 37g of my own, so I'll definitely be following this thread for some inspiration and advice.

I've never had a tank any where near this large, so can't offer up much opinions or advice, but from what I know it looks as if you have all your bases covered! Good Work!

Oh! And welcome to the forum! Lovely Cichlid tank as well!
    Planted 37 gallon, Low tech, with Cherry Barbs, Cardinal tetras, and red cherry shrimp.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I will, She got me a dream tank in my opinion. Love her mucho. And I am putting new wood floors in her living room as a thank you.

Yeah I ran 2 single bright marineland leds on my 125 for a long time and I got a ton of growth from my plants. Added the double bright to try some harder plants later on. I constantly give my friends java ferns and moss, cabomba and wisteria when I trim the tank. I started with 2 ferns and no moss. the java moss came on a rock with anubias on it, and it blew up when I put it on some drift wood.

Anyway thank you for the welcome and I also cant wait till this tank is filled!

2 Not allowed!
    I'm excited for you !!

with a tank that large, have you considered setting up a sump for filtration ? That might be easier to maintain than 4 or 5 larger canister filters and would also be more energy efficient

I would also suggest increase the school size of some of your fish. The cories tetras and loaches would all benifit from a larger group and you will have the room for more

I am looking forward to your up-dates
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats, I'll be following this build. I like you got a tank from my wife for Christmas. It is a 125g, while not as big as yours still big enough for me. May a make a suggestion, look into Finnex led lighting they make some lights that would probably work for you'll need something to penetrate that depth. Look at their Ray and super ray2 lights. Their well priced and work great. I put the Finnex planted Plus on my set up and love them.
    125g planted freshwater South American Cichlid and clown loach tank.
    6 Clown loaches
    6 Geophagus tapajos
    5 Blue Acara
    2 Daemon satanoperca
    1 BN pleco
    1 Black ghost knife
    1 Lima shovelnose catfish

Video of my 125
    http://youtu.be/GiUFnRzx7m0

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Way more than I could ever manage or want to manage, but the thought of gazing into that tank once planted and stocked makes me calm all over. What fun you've got ahead of you. Now, about those water changes - are you able to rig something up that's sort of "automatic" in some way?

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with cliff, I think a sump would be the best bet, maybe a 75 or 125 sump (which is NUTS)

And with a tank that large I'd pay someone to drill it lol

Depending what you budget is, look into finnex or BML (buildmyled). With a tank that deep, you can get a super nice LED set up from BML (all custom done). Maybe 2 5' fixtures

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I definitely am going to be increasing the size of the schools of the loaches and corys now that I have so much room. Most of them will get new friends. As for the lights, I will check those mentioned out and see, but I don't do high lights or co2, want to keep it simple like my 125 was. I have a acrylic sump out in the garage, but have never used one, the thought of something overflowing under my tanks scares me. I also have no idea how to make one work, nor do I want to risk drilling the tank. I had the option from the maker, but just skipped over it.

Luke77 I just read thru your 125 build last night, that tank looks awesome! The driftwood alone was amazing!