· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    Scrup mentioned upthread that clear tubing is prone to algae buildup. I had been asking specifically about airline tubing. I hadn't thought of vinyl.
    If you already have pvc primer for gluing your pipes together you could try dying the tubing purple with it. Use the brush in the cap to paint it on. But careful because the stuff is super permanent, don't wear nice clothes etc.
    Of course your color options would be limited to Purple, Dark Purple, and Really Dark Purple.

I remembered from Uarujoey's spraybar tutorial that he cautioned not to drill the holes too big. That got me to thinking, wouldn't deliberately oversizing the holes actually be beneficial to my goal? Either way, having lots of holes for water to flow through would likely be beneficial for me. I just need to hope that the snails don't decide to crawl up into them! lol
    Lots of small holes is better than a few big holes. More even distribution.
    If snails get inside they'll help clean off algae.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    -What's the best way to clean the piping, tubing, and all the fittings once I'm ready to assemble?
    I just rinse with hot water, but if there's label goo on it, scrub it off with vegetable oil, then wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the oil.
    Or the lazy way, cover it with a glob of pvc cement.

-I have teflon tape to seal the threaded fittings. However, even without the tape the fit between the nylon barb and the ball valve is very tight. I can only hand tighten it about halfway down. Would it be okay to use a wrench to tighten it further, or would that risk over-tightening and damaging the seal?
    Don't over-tighten, pvc can crack.

-I forgot to get another clamp for the barb going into the CPVC (I have two for the barbs on either side of the ball valve). Since I'm not bothering to seal the CPVC either, would leaving that barb unclamped be alright?
    Unless the tubing can pull off easily I wouldn't worry about it.

-And this is more personal preference... But should the finished spray/diffuser bar go down near the substrate (which will be Eco Complete capped with sand once I re-do the tank), or should it be up near the surface? Or something else?
    Your preference.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    If you already have pvc primer for gluing your pipes together you could try dying the tubing purple with it. Use the brush in the cap to paint it on. But careful because the stuff is super permanent, don't wear nice clothes etc.
    Of course your color options would be limited to Purple, Dark Purple, and Really Dark Purple.
    I don't have the purple primer. When I was getting help from the person in the plumbing department, he have me the cement that doesn't need primer, to make things easier to go together.

Lots of small holes is better than a few big holes. More even distribution.
    Good to know.

If snails get inside they'll help clean off algae.
    Yes, but if they go too far, they'll crawl into the pump and get smashed by the impeller. lol I doubt it would happen, but it's a possibility.

I just rinse with hot water, but if there's label goo on it, scrub it off with vegetable oil, then wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the oil.
    Or the lazy way, cover it with a glob of pvc cement.
    Wouldn't just the rubbing alcohol get it off? I've done that before with other objects.

Don't over-tighten, pvc can crack.
    That was my worry, but it also doesn't seem like enough with only half of the threads in. And I'm sure it'll be even harder to screw in once the teflon tape is on the threads.

Unless the tubing can pull off easily I wouldn't worry about it.
    I didn't think it was something to worry about, but I still wanted to get other opinions. :)

Your preference.
    That's half the problem. I don't know what my preference is. lol I also haven't used sand in a tank before. However, I need to know before I start cutting pieces and take them to my friend tomorrow to drill pieces.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, but if they go too far, they'll crawl into the pump and get smashed by the impeller. lol I doubt it would happen, but it's a possibility.
    I've never seen this happen. But then my snails are constantly breeding.

Wouldn't just the rubbing alcohol get it off? I've done that before with other objects.
    Yeah, but I noticed some adhesives come off more easily with veg oil. Others only responded to soapy water (need to rinse a few times to remove soap residue).

That was my worry, but it also doesn't seem like enough with only half of the threads in. And I'm sure it'll be even harder to screw in once the teflon tape is on the threads.
    PTFE tape is very nonstick, it actually makes it way easier to screw in. This is where you have to be careful, it is tempting to screw it so far in the pvc becomes stressed, and some time later it could crack. So don't force it.

That's half the problem. I don't know what my preference is. lol I also haven't used sand in a tank before. However, I need to know before I start cutting pieces and take them to my friend tomorrow to drill pieces.
    Eh, just stick it in a corner. Plant something tall in front of it. As long as it doesn't agitate the surface and lose co2.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I've never seen this happen. But then my snails are constantly breeding.
    I haven't noticed breading, but it can be hard to tell with Malaysian snails. :) The ones I have reserved in one of the cups I purchased my fish in aren't breeding, but they're in less-than-ideal conditions. The few I tried to put in the QT just stayed in their shells, so I'm keeping them in the cup until I have the 8 gallon set up. That will be my project after I get the filter on this tank.

Yeah, but I noticed some adhesives come off more easily with veg oil. Others only responded to soapy water (need to rinse a few times to remove soap residue).
    Interesting! And I'd be too scared to use soapy water. Heh.

PTFE tape is very nonstick, it actually makes it way easier to screw in. This is where you have to be careful, it is tempting to screw it so far in the pvc becomes stressed, and some time later it could crack. So don't force it.
    Understood!

Eh, just stick it in a corner. Plant something tall in front of it. As long as it doesn't agitate the surface and lose co2.
    So your vote is vertical? lol
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    BUT you need at least some of the holes above or very close to the water line as a siphon break otherwise when you lose power it will siphon back into the sump.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup View Post
    BUT you need at least some of the holes above or very close to the water line as a siphon break otherwise when you lose power it will siphon back into the sump.
    I have a suction cup from a broken heater that I'm planning on using to hold it in place, and as it turns out the heater only had one, so the water diffuser bar is going to have to be vertical in the tank. I was already planning on having it as high up in the tank as I could get it to stick (which means the top part of the suction cup against the trim).

Hmmm. Maybe I should add another plastic tub for the sump to sit in, just in case. Heh.

ETA: I'm not sure the top row of holes on the pip would be high enough, now that I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't be able to get my friend's drill before install day. Should I poke a hole in the vinyl tubing? Or buy a T connector to install in?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought the sump would be next to the tank? As long as the top edge of the sump is at the same or higher level than the water level in the tank it can't overflow in a power outage. The water levels inside them would just equalize.

That said, a siphon break IS necessary if you decide to put the sump below the tank, because otherwise when the water tries to equalize it would drain the tank and overflow the sump.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I thought the sump would be next to the tank? As long as the top edge of the sump is at the same or higher level than the water level in the tank it can't overflow in a power outage. The water levels inside them would just equalize.

That said, a siphon break IS necessary if you decide to put the sump below the tank, because otherwise when the water tries to equalize it would drain the tank and overflow the sump.
    This is what the tank and sump container look like next to each other:

I was going to just let them equalize, but then I wondered if there would be enough room in the sump for that to happen, or if it would overflow before it could. The top of the overflow is situated to hopefully keep the waterline even with the edge of the trim when the tank is running.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I have pretty much everything I need to set it up... The painted parts are curing, need to wash and put together the parts with the threaded ends, and I need to get some biological media. While I was running around last night, I stopped by JoAnns to get some batting to use as filter floss. And geez... The cheapest brand they had was still $17 for a queen-sized package. Good thing I always have coupons for there! Got it down to $10.
    1. 2. (No Picture)