· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Even though it's just a smaller nozzle perpendicular to the main outflow nozzle when I don't have the air tubing attached?

Because closing a valve that I added to the tubing would cause backpressure against the motor. There's nothing on the powerhead itself to allow me to reduce the flow.
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    It is a venturi line. It is designed as a suction line. IME physics usually wins out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Backpressure is ok on a pump, they are designed to push against it. If the pressure is high enough, yeah it might leak out some through the venturi line. Honestly with a pump this small its a moot point. Your not going to burn up the pump if it is submerged and there is some water flow. I think you will be fine. No need to overcomplicate it.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I can overcomplicate things easily. lol Thank you for the reassurance.

And I was at Lowes yesterday and saw their CPVC lines. You're right, it is much better for the spraybar. I didn't get any because they didn't have the right barbs for my vinyl tubing, so I'll have to run back to Home Depot to pick up the rest of what I'll need.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I think I really need some help. I went to Home Depot today to get stuff for plumbing the return/spraybar... And I think I have stuff that I'll need to return.

They only had brass barbs in the size needed for the tubing I have. It was after I left that I started to wonder if this would even be safe, given that brass is a copper alloy (and I have snails that I want in the tank). So, do I need to return those and somehow find a store with barbs in a different material?

And then I'm not sure about the connector we found to attach the vinyl tubing to CPVC. The only thing we found that would fit both the tubing and 1/2" CPVC is this sharkbite reduction coupling. It looks like the inside of it is plastic, but would that be enough of a barrier?

And they didn't have any CPVC pipes at all. :/ They had brass fittings, but that was it. (Seriously? Carrying fittings without the pipe itself? Ugh.)

This is the vinyl tubing I have that fits my pump.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    I personally do not think it will matter if you use sch 40 PVC, sch 80 PVC, or CPVC, they will all have the same outside diameter provided they were manufactured to ASTM standards and not some cheap overseas knock off. If you would try, you will find they will all fit together. However, there are special transition glues to use if you use two different types of PVC (if you are gluing your connections). CPVC is not very common in most places. You might be better off looking for PVC (sch 40 or sch 80).

The shark bit fitting is just as safe as all of the house hold plumbing lines in your house. They would most likely be the most expensive type of compression fitting on the market.

You can find most of the fittings you will need on line
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I personally do not think it will matter if you use sch 40 PVC, sch 80 PVC, or CPVC, they will all have the same outside diameter provided they were manufactured to ASTM standards and not some cheap overseas knock off. If you would try, you will find they will all fit together. However, there are special transition glues to use if you use two different types of PVC (if you are gluing your connections). CPVC is not very common in most places. You might be better off looking for PVC (sch 40 or sch 80).
    I know the Lowes near me carries CPVC, and I checked it out the other day while I was there. It was definitely a different OD. When I hold a piece of 1/2" PVC, it feels too large for the tank. When I grabbed the 1/2" CPVC, it felt like it would work.

My main issue for the CPVC was trying to match up the vinyl tubing to it. The 3/8" ID vinyl tubing is at HD, but not Lowes, while the CPVC is at Lowes, so finding something to transition between the two was tricky. The sharkbite coupling, while more expensive than I would like, seemed like an amazing solution until I thought about the brass.

The shark bit fitting is just as safe as all of the house hold plumbing lines in your house. They would most likely be the most expensive type of compression fitting on the market.

You can find most of the fittings you will need on line
    I was worried about the brass because brass is made with copper, and I have inverts in my tank that I don't want to poison. And yeah, I wasn't happy that they only had brass options.

I was hoping to be able to install the new filter next week. Ordering plastic fittings online wouldn't really work unless I pay major money for expedited shipping.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I think I found a source for plastic barbs: OSH. I'm going to call them in a bit to make sure they have it in stock, and see if they have CPVC. (Their website doesn't always reflect what's available in stores.)

However, the sharkbite compressor still seems to be the best way to attach the vinyl tubing to the CPVC. Anyone else want to weigh in on whether this would be safe for inverts?
    1. 2. (No Picture)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like you have lots of vinyl tubing. Why not just drill holes in that for your spraybar? Vinyl is soft and easy to drill.

Then you wouldn't need a barb fitting. And just stuff a piece of foam into the end so the water doesn't all come out from there instead of your drilled holes.

Spraybars usually have a neat row of holes to blow a steady stream of water. What you want is to diffuse the water for maximum flow but minimum current, so instead of a row of holes just drill a bunch of holes all over the tubing. That way the water would diffuse out in all directions instead of being focused in a stream.

Like this (but with vinyl tubing instead of pvc pipe)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    It looks like you have lots of vinyl tubing. Why not just drill holes in that for your spraybar? Vinyl is soft and easy to drill.

Then you wouldn't need a barb fitting. And just stuff a piece of foam into the end so the water doesn't all come out from there instead of your drilled holes.
    Scrup mentioned upthread that clear tubing is prone to algae buildup. I had been asking specifically about airline tubing. I hadn't thought of vinyl.

Spraybars usually have a neat row of holes to blow a steady stream of water. What you want is to diffuse the water for maximum flow but minimum current, so instead of a row of holes just drill a bunch of holes all over the tubing. That way the water would diffuse out in all directions instead of being focused in a stream.

Like this (but with vinyl tubing instead of pvc pipe)
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish.../841/aq036.jpg
    I had been starting to think about something like that. I remembered from Uarujoey's spraybar tutorial that he cautioned not to drill the holes too big. That got me to thinking, wouldn't deliberately oversizing the holes actually be beneficial to my goal? Either way, having lots of holes for water to flow through would likely be beneficial for me. I just need to hope that the snails don't decide to crawl up into them! lol
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Score! Found the nylon barbs at OSH! :D And I ran by Lowes to get CPVC for the spray/diffuser bar. That means I went to three different stores to get piping for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have to apologize to you. The threaded portions of the PVC and CPVC do match. I got a simple 1/2" CPVC slip-to-FIP adaptor that will work with another barb to get water from the hose to the bar. It's a LOT cheaper than that Sharkbite adapter.

And I have a few questions to throw out there.

-What's the best way to clean the piping, tubing, and all the fittings once I'm ready to assemble?
    -I have teflon tape to seal the threaded fittings. However, even without the tape the fit between the nylon barb and the ball valve is very tight. I can only hand tighten it about halfway down. Would it be okay to use a wrench to tighten it further, or would that risk over-tightening and damaging the seal?
    -I forgot to get another clamp for the barb going into the CPVC (I have two for the barbs on either side of the ball valve). Since I'm not bothering to seal the CPVC either, would leaving that barb unclamped be alright?
    -And this is more personal preference... But should the finished spray/diffuser bar go down near the substrate (which will be Eco Complete capped with sand once I re-do the tank), or should it be up near the surface? Or something else?
    1. 2. (No Picture)