· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Help with nano sump?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to be making some nano sumps for my tanks, and I could use a lot of help!

Still having issues with the built-in filter for my 5 gal, and the only real way to replace it with the way the tank is set up is to do a sump tank next to it. And because this tank is already set up and running, I can't do a dry-fit of the overflow. Hopefully the one for my second tank will go a bit easier with the experience from the first.

Here's what the tank looks like with the potential sump container next to it:

I dunno. I might try to find something shorter to use instead. I didn't want to have something really long and low and lose a lot of CO2 due to the increased surface volume, but it might not make that much of a difference with this tank.

My thought is to have the overflow over on the left side, where the current filter is. Then have the return come in on the right side.

The pump I have is the TOM Powerhead 40 (40gph). I found that only the 5/16" ID vinyl tubing fit over the outflow nozzle, but with some space. I got a stainless steel thing for tightening it down, but would that really be safe under water? There was no one in that part of the department to ask. I'm also not entirely sure how I want to set up the return... I want to use something to spread out and diffuse the returning water, but the 1/2" PVC looks like it'd be waaaay too big to use that for my tiny tank. Does it have to be rigid? Or could I use airline tubing with t valves and something on the end? Also, what valve would I use to control the water coming from the pump? Again, there was no one there to ask. :(

And for the overflow... What would be the best thing to keep snails and floating plants out of it? A pre-filter sponge slipped over the end? Some craft mesh siliconed inside?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 08-01-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    See responses below
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    Here's what the tank looks like with the potential sump container next to it:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps3134e090.jpg

Is this going to be under the table or next to the tank?

I dunno. I might try to find something shorter to use instead. I didn't want to have something really long and low and lose a lot of CO2 due to the increased surface volume, but it might not make that much of a difference with this tank.

My thought is to have the overflow over on the left side, where the current filter is. Then have the return come in on the right side.

The pump I have is the TOM Powerhead 40 (40gph).Looks like a 2 gallon tank. Hope I am wrong or your fish are going to be doing cartwheels. I found that only the 5/16" ID vinyl tubing fit over the outflow nozzle, but with some space.pretty big tube for this size tank, but should work ok I got a stainless steel thing for tightening it down, but would that really be safe under water? yesThere was no one in that part of the department to ask. I'm also not entirely sure how I want to set up the return... I want to use something to spread out and diffuse the returning water, but the 1/2" PVC looks like it'd be waaaay too big to use that for my tiny tank.IME airline clogs and is a pain when its used with water. Check into CPVC and krylon fusion spraypaint Does it have to be rigid? Or could I use airline tubing with t valves and something on the end? Also, what valve would I use to control the water coming from the pump? Again, there was no one there to ask.can get any sort of ball valve to control flow. If you use CPVC they make valves just for this. :(

And for the overflow... What would be the best thing to keep snails and floating plants out of it? A pre-filter sponge slipped over the end? Some craft mesh siliconed inside?Either of those. Just make sure you use something that doesn't easily clog up 100% or you will have a flood. Usually right before bed after a long day. Chances of a flood go way up if you have hardwood floor and furniture that weighs a whole lot.

Best of luck, sounds like fun!
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup View Post
    Is this going to be under the table or next to the tank?
    Next to the tank.

Looks like a 2 gallon tank. Hope I am wrong or your fish are going to be doing cartwheels.
    The tank? It's a 5 gallon. And the strength of the pump is also why I need a valve on the return piping to control the speed of the return. The fish in the tank needs minimal (practically no) current. This was also the pump with the lowest gph I could find on the market.

pretty big tube for this size tank, but should work ok
    It was the only thing that would fit over the outflow nozzle of the pump. The next size down had an ID of 1/4" (same as airline tubes), and the OD exactly matched that of the outflow nozzle. There was no way I was getting that tubing on the pump.

IME airline clogs and is a pain when its used with water. Check into CPVC and krylon fusion spraypaint
    By CPVC you mean pipe fittings? And I'm trying to find Krylon fusion spraypaint for the overflow, and I'm not having much luck. And I have nooooo idea what fittings to use with this vinyl tubing. There was literally no one in that section to help me.

can get any sort of ball valve to control flow. If you use CPVC they make valves just for this.
    I didn't see any in the right size when I was there, and I have no idea how it would attach to the vinyl tubing.

Either of those. Just make sure you use something that doesn't easily clog up 100% or you will have a flood. Usually right before bed after a long day. Chances of a flood go way up if you have hardwood floor and furniture that weighs a whole lot.
    I'll definitely be checking for clogs either way. Heh. And it's on a heavy desk, but the floor is this old, ugly vinyl kitchen flooring.

Best of luck, sounds like fun!
    Thanks! :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    CPVC is like PVC, but usually its smaller. Has a bit of a yellow tint to it.

You can get a barb fitting for it. Might take a few pieces to adapt to it. Just take the tubing with you to the hardware store. Should be able to figure it out that way. Drill some holes in it and make a tiny spraybar.

If the airline tubing is under the light, it will get clogged with algae. Black tubing would help with this. Still, if you need a valve I would just use CPVC. Vinyl tubing from the pump up to the back of the tank, into a barb fitting, into a valve, then over the side of the tank into a spraybar.

Like this 2mFXXh.jpg

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm. I'll have to ask about the CPVC. Hopefully the workers are more helpful than at the one I was at.

And as far as the holes on the spraybar... Mine will have to be under the water level (to minimize surface movement). And I wonder... Would it work with two lines of holes, somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees apart? One could be pointed down towards the substrate, the other a bit under the surface. I would think that would decrease current coming from the bar since there are more outlets, but I don't know if water would actually flow through both sets of holes.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, worked on the overflow today, dry-fitting as much as I could.

This is what I came up with. I decided to put the sump to the left of the tank (I'll have to scootch the tank to the right during the next water change).

That is what I'm thinking it will look like from the front. The overflow in the tank will be situated along the left side of the tank, taking advantage of the lack of plants over there. (Also the floating plants will move that way, which will shade the lower-light plants.) Then the water will move up and over and drain into the sump. In the sump there will likely be sponges for it to flow through, the heater, and the green container will hold the biomedia, with the intake of the pump buried in it and filter fiber over the biomedia.

And them the water will be pumped back to the tank.

Any thoughts? Holes to poke in my ideas?

Also, I'm still hazy on what to do once it leaves the pump. I can't find any pipes thinner than 1/2", at least that are non-flexible. (I also misremembered the vinyl pipe's ID. It's actually 3/8".)

Will I need two valves to control the water pumping out? (One for the flow into the tank, one to relieve pressure on the motor? I saw it here.) What fitting do I use to attach the hose to the valves and spray bar? Can I drill two rows of holes in the spray bar to help reduce the current while keeping up the overturn of water? Or would that be completely ineffective? I am completely clueless!

Remember, I have a 5 gal tank and a fish that is happiest when water (especially the surface) is practically still.

Also, will be slow to post. I can't get onto AC with my home 'net. I've already contacted William about it.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good so far.

Still firmly believe in the CPVC if you can find it. Its smaller than PVC (IIRC 1/2" PVC is ID, where 1/2" CPVC is OD) It is in every hardware store in the plumbing section. Long yellow pipe. Says CPVC on it.

One valve to control flow into the tank would work. If you are worried about it, or if you find the pump gets too noisy, you can put in a bypass system. Just put a T in the line after the pump, and a valve on both outlets. one outlet goes to the sump, the other to the tank. Adjust as needed. Sounds like you were going down that path already though.

And yes, a spraybar is good. Two rows will work, chances are one will be just fine.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup View Post
    Looks good so far.

Still firmly believe in the CPVC if you can find it. Its smaller than PVC (IIRC 1/2" PVC is ID, where 1/2" CPVC is OD) It is in every hardware store in the plumbing section. Long yellow pipe. Says CPVC on it.
    I'll look for it.

One valve to control flow into the tank would work. If you are worried about it, or if you find the pump gets too noisy, you can put in a bypass system. Just put a T in the line after the pump, and a valve on both outlets. one outlet goes to the sump, the other to the tank. Adjust as needed. Sounds like you were going down that path already though.
    On the one hand, it sounds like a good idea to have two valves. On the other... Valves are by far the most expensive piece of the plumbing and require more connector pieces to attach them to the hose. So, I'm torn.

And yes, a spraybar is good. Two rows will work, chances are one will be just fine.
    The idea behind the two rows is to try to have as much overturn of the water as possible while keeping the current minimized.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    On the one hand, it sounds like a good idea to have two valves. On the other... Valves are by far the most expensive piece of the plumbing and require more connector pieces to attach them to the hose. So, I'm torn.
    I just had a thought and checked something. The pump itself has a place to attach an airline to the outflow nozzle, to aerate the outgoing water. I won't be using it to aerate the water. Could that be used as the bypass? Would it be best to just leave it open, or add a bit of airline tubing with either a check valve or control valve on the end? The check valve would be positioned to allow water to flow out, but I image it would offer more resistance than not having a valve.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It is a venturi line. I would just cap it if you can, if not just let it be. I don't believe it will work the other direction without a bit of backpressure.