· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Oscar and Giant Bumblebee Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Help please. 125 gal aquarium, home to two Giant Bumblebee Catfish one about 9" one about 10.5", plus a Pleco, about 14".
    My son gave me a Red Tiger Oscar, about 4.5" and growing fast. Question 1, my son wants him in the big tank when he's 5"-6" long. I'm worried my Bumblebees will eat him? When he's grown I'm worried he'll eat them?
    Question 2, if all okay, could I then put in, say 3 Silver Dollars? That would be it. Oh, plenty of filtration and could add more if need to.
    All suggestions really appreciated. Thank you.
    BoB

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it fits in the catfish's mouth, assume it will be eaten.

The same goes for the silver dollars. They really should be in a school of a at least 5-6 for them to feel more comfortable.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    If it fits in the catfish's mouth, assume it will be eaten.

The same goes for the silver dollars. They really should be in a school of a at least 5-6 for them to feel more comfortable.
    Hi, thank you for your reply, there is a bit of cutting and pasting going on here as I really want information. I'm hoping someone has Oscars and Giant Bumblebees, please excuse me repeating myself. I have a 125 UK gallon aquarium with two Giant Bumblebees, one about 275mm, quite chunky, and one around 200mm, slimmer, plus a 350mm Sailfin. How big does my growing Oscar need to be before the BB's will not try to eat him? He, she's about 125mm right now. I was thinking around 200mm but still not sure?
    Any risk he'll try to eat them? I know they are compatible but I want to get it right as I love them all.
    Any recommendations as to improving habitat would be welcome too. My Sailfin rearranges the tank all the time and I know my Oscar will too. Rocks aren't much problem for the Sailfin and plants stand little chance. If he doesn't move them he eats them. I want to increase hiding places, want some high level hiding and would love plants but the Sailfin stacks any sand or gravel where he wants it and buries caves, plants, you name it.
    Love to hear from you with ideas.
    Bren.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Look at the width of your catfish mouth and see if the body height of the oscar is twice that size of the mouth's width.

This oscar was 4" and the catfish was 8"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=euEaycNaCgo

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mmm, well, I get your point. So, catfish mouth open about 1.5" could be bigger, larger fish is around 10". I think I'll wait until Oscar at least 5" deep. Maybe bigger?