· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Multiple Oplaine Gouramis

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Opaline Gouramis in a 29g tank. One is a little bigger than the other and chases the smaller around constantly. Is this normal? Im thinking of returning the bully to the store and keeping just one with my other fish.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Gouramis as a general rule of thumb tend to be more territorial than other fish.

A 29g is probably a bit small for the two of them to have their own territories and returning one or the other would be a good plan in my opinion.

0 Not allowed!
    Opaline gouramis are notoriously aggressive. Do take one back, your tank isn't big enough for two. To be honest, just one in that tank is a squeeze as they grow pretty darn big and have the potential to pick on other tank mates. A more peaceful gourami is a honey gourami or a pearl gourami - so I've read. I haven't kept either of these species before though.

What's the rest of your stock?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I returned the bullying gourami the other day, now the other swims freely. I have 4 tiger barbs and 2 rainbow sharks in there with him now, plan on stocking a couple more tiger barbs maybe some loaches later on.
    Last edited by The Fish Enthusiast; 08-03-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Y0ur g0urami will get 4-6 inches in length and each 0f the sharks can get up ar0und 7", these 3 fish al0ne will be ab0ut what a 29g tank will handle alth0ugh the sharks sh0uld be in a tank 0ver 30g. Bef0re y0u kn0w it y0u will have t0 stand all y0ur st0ck 0n their tails and put them in the tank like packaged cigarettes. I w0uldn't suggest adding m0re fish t0 a 29.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above post. I think a 29G is too small for tiger barbs too. They get quite large when mature. You'll desperately need a tank upgrade soon.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    AND Rainbow Sharks are territorial. Before long one will assert dominance and start picking on the other.

I suggest you plan your stocklist better next time.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree completely with the last two members' posts. Tiger Barb should be in a group of at least 8, and a 29g is sufficient for this group on their own; you could up it to 10. When kept in smaller groups, they frequently get very nippy, and a gourami is going to be a real temptation which means it will likely become very stressed. Even if you don't see physical aggression now, it may begin as the barbs become more settled. But aside from this, fish release chemicals we call pheromones (read by their own species) and allomones (read by other species in the tank) and this alone can cause other fish stress.

The shark can be a nasty fellow as it matures, and it needs at least a 4-foot tank with no other substrate fish to be safe--and healthy. They dislike other substrate fish in their territory, and sometimes they take a dislike to upper fish, it depends upon the individual.

Byron.