· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Blackfish

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Well, you have obviously not watched the documentary. You are wrong. Watch it! There is nothing educational about these programs. That they can jump, do as commended?
    So now I need to watch a propaganda video in order to have an informed opinion about a subject that is highly debated? Am I wrong, because you say I'm wrong? Or am I wrong, because the propaganda video said I was wrong? How about this... "I'm right." There, I guess that settles it.

Have you ever been to Sea World? I have... and while there, I learned many a new thing about the animals they keep, not only from the signage they have displayed throughout the park, but also from viewing the shows, where information about the animals is divulged to the audience. The tricks that the animals can do are merely examples of their intelligence, which is an important feature of these animals.

Actually, if you did a bit of research on the matter you'd know that half of the whale meat went to dog food ... literally. But as i wrote elsewhere, they can eat as much mercury tainted meat as they want.
    If I did a bit of research? That's all I ever do when I debate arm chair environmentalists and animal rights activists... Are you aware that dog food has meat in it? Are you aware that dogs eat meat? They're carnivores, after all, and if they don't get essential proteins/fat, they'll become unhealthy. Why shouldn't they use a portion of the meat for dog food? It's better than letting it go to waste, isn't it?

Hell, if you did a little research, you'd find out that of the +/-250 dolphins that were rounded up, only 40 were killed, while 52 were kept alive for sale to aquariums and other clientele, and the rest were released.

It's funny... aquarists are fine with rounding up fish in the wild for sale in the aquarium trade, but when it comes to dolphins... they're off limits.

That's precisely the point. We're having a debate as to what we find moral or not, thus what we find to be part of our core value, what we feel comfortable with ... I believe these mammals are not adapted to be kept in a confined environment for our pleasure.
    But wild fish are?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Attachment 31937 talking about India and keeping marine mammals in captivity ...
    lol

And we all know how they take care of their own people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    So now I need to watch a propaganda video in order to have an informed opinion about a subject that is highly debated? Am I wrong, because you say I'm wrong? Or am I wrong, because the propaganda video said I was wrong?
    if you are going to "debate" about a documentary, then perhaps yes, it would have helped you.

An Apt Metaphor -- You are still not addressing the elephant in the room. Is captivity suitable for orcas?

That's all that is being asked.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    lol

And we all know how they take care of their own people:
    until now, it was more or less a civil debate, now your bullying approach is offending me. have a nice time in your glass tower.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

3 Not allowed!
    until now, it was more or less a civil debate, now your bullying approach is offending me. have a nice time in your glass tower.
    Woah woah waoh - now what in this whole thing is offensive? I have read and reread the posts between the two of you. The Indians standing in the global debate is a can of worms you openned with your dolphin post previous.

Kevin hasnt watched Blackfish, I have, multiple times. Let me tell you the topic you are discussing is the morality of keeping Orca in captivity. Blackfish is a very short sided view of this and isnt required for a debate on the subject of morality (thats kinda how this post started prior to its viewability). You said it yourself, its "shocking"... ITS MEANT TO BE... there is a point being driven home. That a fisherman regrets taking wild animals for captivity - sure thats tear jerking and emotional - does seaworld do it anymore? nope... Above all else, its main focus is of one abused animal...

I pose this to you... should the pitbull species be completely whiped out? After all there are so many accounts of its danger and disposition... Yet they are a domesticated animal that is trained to do tricks, be part of a family and infact protect a family at times.

And lets take on your statement of 3-5 wolves (a 6ft animal) in a 10x10 pen... please go back and read the regulations for a pool for a wild animal and then focus greatly on the pool depths and lengths... this is just a false statement.

I can whole heartedly appreciate your stance against the morality of keeping this animal. However, I dont believe the same thing you do. I also point out that in the aquarium hobby, that whole inch per gallon rule that we all subscribed to? That we have proven it wrong... that we continually grow in our experience and knowlege of species on this earth... its all come from the study and expansion on each species.

Your view is valid, then again, its just as valid as the law makers of Japan and China and the religions of Hindu that regard certain animals sacred. I think we all have our glass houses here, and he who lives in one should fear dropping their own stones.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Woah woah waoh - now what in this whole thing is offensive? I have read and reread the posts between the two of you. The Indians standing in the global debate is a can of worms you openned with your dolphin post previous.
    So a country bans dolphin captivity and it should be ridiculed because of their poverty rate? I mean what kind of a debate is that? It is both offensive (I might be Indian) and pretentious.

That he claims there is no problem, no injuries, no death (...), well, yes, it is a perfect house of glass in his view. Why debating of one is completely close to any argument? I have taken the time to read both arguments ...

To your question regarding pitbulls, the same could be asked about guns, about cars ... it's an individual decision. Should it be regulated? i do not know the history of the dogs that have killed or harmed people, but since this is less likely to happen with a golden retriever, then yes, i think the possession of these animals should be regulated.

It is not the right to own wolves or large felines or marine mammals that bothers me, it is to keep them in a confined environment that does not advance any purpose but to bring a profit at the expense of the health and well-being of these animals. There are plenty of great documentaries about these creatures for the ones who want to learn about them. If one owns a wolf, and take it to a dog park, do you know what will happen?

I do agree with you re: the one inch rule. It's a narrow-minded view. But it brings another interesting point, which has yet to find a definite answer. Are we the only species to have an emotional brain, the ability to be aware of our environment and oneself? I don't know about the fish in my aquarium, but i do think mammals have that as well.

I have swam with dolphins and seen whales up close. I also went to seaworld in SD 25 years ago. I left sick to my stomach. The difference between a wild dolphin and a captive one is day and night.

4 Not allowed!
    Nothing wrong with a good debate, but this thread is now leading to drama.

I have closed this thread due to drama
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]