· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackfish

Thumbs up Blackfish

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it last night and found it to be startlingly affecting, quite harrowing even. If you have seen it what did you think? Seeing the trauma involved in the training and capturing of the babies was really upsetting. As a piece of documentary film-making and journalism, very impressive.

I went to Seaworld San Diego as a child (obviously loved it), and visited a similar park near Miami in my late teens/early twenties (and at that point felt very uncomfortable with the performing orca in a tiny pool). I feel dreadfully guilty about going there now. I wish I hadn't. If we judged them like fish tanks we'd all be up in arms.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the trailer in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    0rcas are 0ne 0f the m0st beautiful and amazing animals I have ever imagined, they are with0ut a d0ubt my fav0rite marine mammal 0f all. Anything less than the 0cean and in the presence 0f their p0d is just inhumane.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    The argument is kind of an argument against fish keeping, altogether, isn't it? None of the fish we keep lives in waters as small as we keep them.

Most live in lakes, rivers, tributaries, streams, oceans, etc. - each equating to thousands of gallons and more of water. A 300gal lake does not exist... a 500gal pond probably doesn't exist.

I love nature and I love animals... but I appreciate the zoos, aquariums and parks that allow us to see these animals up close and personal. If we didn't have things like Sea World, you'd probably never know how intelligent these animals are. They serve a purpose, and while they weren't always treated as humanely as they are now, the care they receive now is much improved.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I guess i 0nly feel this way ab0ut mammals with en0ugh intellect t0 exhibit the propensity f0r "problem solving". mammals 0f higher 0rders such as 0rcas, d0lphins, great apes and such that als0 have 0ther human qualities such as truly affectionate parenting. They may n0t have the same level 0f "reasoning" that we possess, they act n0t 0nly 0ut 0f instinct but als0 with th0ught 0ut purp0se. F0r example- a p0d 0f 0rcas find a seal 0n an ice fl0w, they sc0ut the situation and assess it, they then act together in a planned fashi0n t0 get the seal 0ff the ice int0 the water by running at the ice and diving bel0w t0 create a wave that will push the seal 0ff. I saw a vide0 0n TV 0nce 0f this very scenario. They succeeded in this task but then all0wed the seal back 0nt0 the ice s0 that the y0ung 0rcas c0uld attempt the same tactics, it was a training activity. That kind 0f behavi0r is bey0nd pure instinct, it sh0ws the ability t0 make 0n the sp0t pertinent decisions tailored t0 the task at hand. I guess my p0int is this: animals with these abilities must surely have the ability t0 be fully c0nsci0us 0f what we d0 t0 them and h0w it affects them, even em0ti0nally. These traits are alm0st entirely limited t0 higher f0rms 0f mammalian species, where 0ther types 0f animals w0uld act s0lely 0n imbedded instincts as 0pp0sed t0 task specific decisi0n making. Maybe i am way 0ff but this is my view. D0gs , cats, rats fish etc merely react t0 stimuli based 0n primal f0rms 0f fear, hunger etc. They have the ability t0 learn t0 s0me degree that if I g0 t0 this sp0t, f00d will be there but it is a learned behavior that is n0t based 0n decisi0n making and pr0blem s0lving skills.
    Last edited by Longshot; 08-01-2013 at 08:27 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    The argument is kind of an argument against fish keeping, altogether, isn't it? None of the fish we keep lives in waters as small as we keep them.

Most live in lakes, rivers, tributaries, streams, oceans, etc. - each equating to thousands of gallons and more of water. A 300gal lake does not exist... a 500gal pond probably doesn't exist.

I love nature and I love animals... but I appreciate the zoos, aquariums and parks that allow us to see these animals up close and personal. If we didn't have things like Sea World, you'd probably never know how intelligent these animals are. They serve a purpose, and while they weren't always treated as humanely as they are now, the care they receive now is much improved.
    No, I don't think the film is arguing that at all. It is addressing orcas in captivity and exposing the cruelty involved in keeping them captive for the purpose of performing tricks for tourists. I'd be interested if you'd seen it. I would be surprised if anyone would make that assumption having seen it.

The movie revealed that SeaWorld routinely lies about facts and misinforms the public. The "educational" aspect is benign. They state that orcas' longevity is reduced in the wild compared with captive specimens. They state that orcas live up to 35 years in captivity and only 25-30 in the wild, whereas it is well known that wild orcas live at least as long as us, if not longer, in the wild. They also try not to discuss why the whales have flopped over fins. This occurs in most captive male specimens, and yet, in the wild you will see it in less that 1% of the population. Keeping such a huge animal in captivity like that is unethical.

Yes, we may have learned a lot from keeping such animals in captivity, but I do not think the end justified the means. The Nazis did a vast amount of scientific research (sadly, on human beings) and gleaned an unimaginable wealth of very useful scientific knowledge from it...but I'd be very uncomfortable in stating that was laudable.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I nearly made mention 0f the flopped dorsal fin, it seems it is brought 0n fr0m extreme duress and even after being released back int0 the wild the c0nditi0n never improves. Even th0ugh n0 physical damage had ever happened t0 the fin, strange. S0mething ab0ut these animals in particular touches my heart and s0ul pr0f0undly, I am sure it s0unds all p00f 0f me but, it d0esn't change the fact that i ad0re them.

0 Not allowed!
    It certainly is true that a captive aquarium environment is very different from nature, but proportionally to an aquarium fish a tank is much bigger than the enclosure to the orca, not to mention that most aquarium species are much, much more sedentary than the seagoing mammal. And while an orca is extremely intelligent with complex social needs and whatnot and realizes that it is confined, I don't think that something like a Cory would ever realize that the view never changes...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post

My view on this is that the best animals for these environments are the ones that were either injured in the wild, orphaned, or something else that would almost certainly result in death in the wild. Bring them in, re-hab them and release if possible, if not, provide them a decent environment to live in for the rest of their lives. I enjoy the zoos that have the huge open fields for habitats... a little more natural

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect example of this happened with the buffalo zoo, we had a polar bear cub (i believe born in captivity) but then they added a second cub that was orphaned when a person in alaska shot and killed its mother