· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking of a 46 gallon bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I am starting up a 46 gallon bowfront tank and am trying to decide how to stock it. I have an AquaClear 110 filter on it, and it is not a planted tank. I have moderate decorations in it including fake plants.

I know I want to have Angelfish in the tank, and am planning on getting 2 of them.

The other fish I am thinking about putting in the tank are:
    (3) Sunset Platies
    (3) Twin Bar Platies
    (3) Dalmation Mollies
    (3) Marble Mollies
    (5) Rummy Nose Tetras
    (4) African Dwarf Frogs

I put this in on AqAdvisor and it came back as 109% stocked but that I had 129% filtration capacity; does this mean that number of fish is ok?

Also, do I need snails and/or shrimp to clean? I know they don't clean a lot of algae so I didn't know if they were necessary as long as I do water changes & clean the algae.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    congratulations on the new tank!
    The platies and mollies should be fine in there. make sure you get 2 females to every 1 male as platies and mollies breed like crazy and you need to give the females a little rest. Your angel will no doubt eat most of the fry but some will survive so be prepared for what you're going to do with the extra fish that make it.

Rummy's should also be fine but I'd up the school to 6 - 8. they will make much more of an impact.

as to the frogs - not sure how you'll get along with them. a 46 might be a little deep for them. they need to surface occasionally and that's a long way down. you might want to do some research to see if this is an appropriate tank for them. if it turns out not to be, i think you'd enjoy cory cat fish - a school of at least 6.

As to the pair of angels. This is just a heads up. When angels are juveniles, they will get along fine. As they mature, however, unless you have mated pair (a male and female and when they are juvies there is no way to tell the sex) one or the other of them is going to decide to be the dominant angel and will start fighting the other. One of them will most likely be injured or killed. It's just the way of angels. If this were my tank, I'd pick one special angel as your centerpiece and stick with that.

you don't need snails and or shrimp, no tank does, it's just a personal preference on whether you have them or not. I like to have snails in my tank because I think they're interesting. As you said, it's up to you to keep the tank clean of algae and to clean the bottom of any poo and left over food.

Have you given any thought on which method you are going to use to cycle your tank? If in doubt, there are links in my signature line explaining the fish in and the fishless cycle. Whichever one you choose, you need to be aware of the cycle process and how it affects your fish. I've done both ways. I much prefer the fishless cycle as it's faster, much less work and much easier on the fish.

If you decide to cycle with fish, I'd start with only the platies and mollies. Once your tank is cycled (2 - 3 months later) add your more delicate rummys, wait several weeks then add the angel. the frogs or cory cats should be the last in the tank if you decide to go with either of them. bottom dwellers take the brunt of the toxins during the cycle process and often don't survive if you start out cycling with them in the tank.

be sure to ask questions about cycling your tank if you are uncertain of the process and I'm sure someone else will chime in on your stocking plan.
    And you didn't mention it but if you don't have one, you need an API liquid master test kit so you can monitor your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates during which ever cycle you chose.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-31-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is about 18 inches deep with between 2 and 3 inches of gravel...I had read that the frogs would be fine in less than 24 inches?

I didn't know if that would be a problem having 2 angels or not; I knew that with 3 if 2 paired they'd pick on the 3rd...maybe I will stick with just one really pretty one :) Is there any way to tell when they're juvies if they are male or female?

I had planned on doing a cycle with fish; wasn't sure if the mollies were hardy enough. With a 46 should I cycle with the full number of platies/mollies I was planning on having or should I start with fewer?

On average about how long does a fishless cycle take? (I know there is no set time for it etc)

I have the API liquid master test kit on it's way, I am awaiting its arrival along with the bio insert for my filter, my heater and my thermometer

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phin9009 View Post
    The tank is about 18 inches deep with between 2 and 3 inches of gravel...I had read that the frogs would be fine in less than 24 inches?
    you may very well be fine with the frogs. again, i have no experience with them. there's a thread here somewhere on adf's you might want to do a search and see if you can find any posts that might be helpful - and again, someone else may still chime in

I didn't know if that would be a problem having 2 angels or not; I knew that with 3 if 2 paired they'd pick on the 3rd...maybe I will stick with just one really pretty one :) Is there any way to tell when they're juvies if they are male or female?
    that's the big question - sexing juvies is nearly impossible. Some people start with 6 or 7 angels, wait until 2 of them pair up then rehome the remaining 4 or 5. For me, that would be tough to do as I always get too attached. Unless you're set on a pair, I'd go with one centerpiece fish in this size of a tank.

I had planned on doing a cycle with fish; wasn't sure if the mollies were hardy enough. With a 46 should I cycle with the full number of platies/mollies I was planning on having or should I start with fewer?
    if you do a fish in cycle, you need fish in a number that will produce enough ammonia to start and complete the biological cycle. i'd go with both the platies and the mollies if you are comfortable cycling with fish.

On average about how long does a fishless cycle take? (I know there is no set time for it etc)
    I fishless cycle generally takes from 3 - 4 weeks to complete. 0 water changes until the very end when you have to get rid of the build up of nitrates. At the end of a fishless cycle, you can add your entire stocking list at one time. A fish in cycle on the other hand can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months with frequent (sometimes daily) water changes. Once a fish in cycle is complete, you need to let the tank mature for a few weeks before adding a few more fish. then wait again for a few weeks before adding a few more.

I have the API liquid master test kit on it's way, I am awaiting its arrival along with the bio insert for my filter, my heater and my thermometer
    great.

just an fyi - this is going to be a really nice tank. If it was mine, I'd opt for the fishless cycle. It's sooo much simpler, so much better for the fish and for you and the real bonus, as I said above, after the cycle is finished, you can add all of your stock at once instead of spreading out additions over several weeks or months. Just sayin' :o)

Oh - and one other thought ... platies and mollies are very colorful but they are live bears and do pop out fry every fifteen minutes. Well, that's a huge exaggeration but it sure seems to be the case. :o) the angel won't get them all. some will survive and you'll have those new fish to contend with. On the other hand, there are a variety of tetras (like your rummy nose) that will not reproduce and would be really pretty with an angel. Cardinal tetras for instance have gorgeous color. a nice big school of them alone with a smaller school of rummys and the single angel would make a stunning tank. the options for tetras seems endless. I have an angel with zebra danios and harlequin rasboras in my 30 and they is so much movement and color - it's really fun to watch. so, you have lots of options
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!

If you are going to cycle with fish, you will need enough fish to register a reading for ammonia and do regular water changes if the ammonia gets too high. Can't put a time limit on this. The process will be faster if you are able to put media from an established tank into your new filter to "seed" your new media with bacteria..

Cycling with fish takes longer than without fish simply because you have to keep the ammonia level low (so as not to hurt the fish), hence it will take longer to grow bacteria that way. With fishless cycling, you can spike the ammonia right away & keep it higher to grow bacteria faster. With any cycling plan, there is really no way to place a time limit on it - each tank is different.

I have the API liquid master test kit on it's way, I am awaiting its arrival along with the bio insert for my filter, my heater and my thermometer - What is a bio insert?
    I only commented on what I know about - angels & your stocking plan I will leave for others - though I think that so many livebearers could be a potential stocking issue in the future if they breed a lot.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll start searching for that thread :)

Yeah, I can see myself getting too attached to them and that sounds like a disaster in the making with that many angels haha

Ok you have sold me on the fishless cycle; I like the idea of being able to add more fish at once instead of over several months! I assume this is because without fish in the tank you can have higher ammonia levels to grow a very large amount of bacteria to accommodate the fish? Per your fishless cycling tutorial, I should have it at 4-5 ppm when I start it correct?

I am glad you think it will be a nice tank; I'm really excited to get it going! I've spent a long time researching what fish I can have in there with the angel so they don't get hurt or nip the angel's fins.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bio insert is the BioMax filter media insert for the AquaClear 110 power filter

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it's great that you're doing your research. and I'm glad you decided on the fishless cycle.:o)
    I'd dose to 3 or 4ppm. 5 might be a little high
    ace hardware brand janitorial strength ammonia is the best to use if you can get it.

if you have any questions about dosing, just ask..
    good luck!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    If y0ur angel gets big, and it will if y0u take g00d care 0f it, it may very well g0 after small tetras like ne0ns and rummyn0se as a snack f00d. I have read that the 0nly sure fire way t0 sex them is as adults and y0u need t0 get a g00d l00k at the genital bits. S0me say that y0u can tell by the f0reheads in adults as well- a male will have a r0unded head and a female will have m0re 0f a sl0pe, but M0re and m0re 0ften I have heard that with farm raised Angels the heads might be very similar in b0th the males and females but i cann0t verify that as true.
    can attest t0 the fact that a third fish 0ut will likely get mauled, they get mean!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I'll start searching for that thread :)

Yeah, I can see myself getting too attached to them and that sounds like a disaster in the making with that many angels haha

Ok you have sold me on the fishless cycle; I like the idea of being able to add more fish at once instead of over several months! I assume this is because without fish in the tank you can have higher ammonia levels to grow a very large amount of bacteria to accommodate the fish? Per your fishless cycling tutorial, I should have it at 4-5 ppm when I start it correct? Yeah, I'd start it off at 4ppm. Once it drops down to 0 by itself, you will hopefully have a reading for nitrites by then - you then add more ammonia up to 2ppm (yes, half the originally amount) and keep testing until the nitrites spike and then drop to 0, adding ammonia every time the ammonia drops to 0.

I am glad you think it will be a nice tank; I'm really excited to get it going! I've spent a long time researching what fish I can have in there with the angel so they don't get hurt or nip the angel's fins. - Very smart to research - I've seen people stock really inappropriate fish with angels - they are cichlids, will eat smaller fish and can be harrassed by fish who like long fins.
    While there are plenty of people here who routinely cycle their tanks with fish, it's less stressful on fish - also, there is no need to get shrimp, snails or bottom dwellers unless you really like something specific - never purchase an animal to do a job for you. Not all shrimp eat algae and some shrimp will become tasty snacks. Snails are cool (especially the ones that don't reproduce by themselves) if you like them.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in