· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Post Help. African Dwarf frog can not stay at bottem of tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had a pair of ADFs for about 8 years. I noticed this morning that one of them can not stay at the bottom of the tank. He keeps trying to swim down, but his body keep floating up. I feed them live and frozen blood worms. I called several pet stores and have gotten different answers. One said he had a bladder infection, the other said he swallowed air and there is nothing I can do. Anyone have any advise?

0 Not allowed!
    Since you have had the ADF for 8 years, I am seriously doubting that it is the dreaded fungal disease that is prevalent among frogs and killing them off in vast numbers. Unless you have added in any new stock to the tank that was housed in a pet store with other frogs, you are likely clear of that horrible disease. I can't remember the name of the disease off hand, its a long name that always seems to escape me.

Check your water parameters, and if everything checks out okay, its likely the frog is starting to develop bloat. This is common among ADF, but can happen in older ones simply due to age and organs failing internally. Unfortunately, there is no "at home" treatment for this particular disease, and the prognosis, if this is what you have going on, is not good. Do not be tempted to add aquarium salt to the tank, unlike fish the frog will not handle this well and it will make the problem much much worse.

If you are truly attached to this frog, you can seek the advice of an exotics veterinarian. Many veterinary clinics have one on staff, and you can either bring the frog in, or, describe the symptoms and get advice via phone conversation.

With that out of the way, it IS possible, this is a temporary situation, frogs do interesting things from time to time, and change their behavior as they age. Watch him closely for signs of bloat (swelling), and keep the water clean. With luck, it may clear up on its own, or end up being nothing of note.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.