· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Digitate hydroids

0 Not allowed!
    After reading the hitch-hiker thread looking for these thread like critters I have which only come out after dark (moon lights dont bother them), I've come to the conclusion they are Digitate hydroids. I haven't read anything positive about these but their sting isn't good for corals. I have one on a piece of live rock which is readily accessible so I pulled it up with the spot mentally marked and used gel super glue where I pretty much knew it was. I replaced the rock and later that night I see this Digitate hydroid flowing in the current about 1/4 inch from where I put the super glue. Next day having a better bearing I super glued the spot where I saw the Digitate hydroid the night before. Waiting until after white lights out I see this critter emerge another 1/4 inch away from the super glue spot. So last night I used a long handled pair of scissors and snipped this puppy as far down as I could bring the cut piece out of the tank on the end of the scissors. I kept watching last night and there was no sign of this critter. I'll watch again tonight and see if this made a difference. I know I have three more lower in the tank by my sunburst coral. Their strands extend about 1 1/4 inches with the current with a bulb type end. I read their sting to corals is extreme so I'm trying to clean them up. Anyone have experience with these critters? Advice is welcome. Thanks in advance AC.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Well cutting this thing didn't slow it down a bit. It grew back incredibly fast and I am seeing a few more of these around the tank at night.
    Anyone have any luck getting rid of these critters? If so please share.
    Can you use super glue gel type under water? I would hate to have to remove my rock from the tank to get these guys.

0 Not allowed!
    I have not had the best experiences removing hitch hikers like that. The one time in the past I had digitate hydroids , I have taken the rock out, soaked it in boiling hot water for a while and scrubbed it until it was white again. After letting it dry out for a few days to a week, I put it right back were it was. That aways worked for me no matter what hitch hiker I was removing. But it is a pain in the backside to do.

However, I have a very large amount of live rock in my set-ups so I can remove several rocks at a time without impacting my water quality in any way.

That would be the only method that I can suggest, assuming your set-up would be left with enough live rock to handle the bioload of your se-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I found this on another forum, not sure if it will help you or not:

"I've used a turkey baster and very hot RO/DI water. Very easy to direct the kill. Just enough of the water to do the job. You'll know."
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh. I was hoping for an easier solution Cliff. I too felt it was a remove, clean, and replace rock type of project but was looking for an easier way out. The rock affected is down low in the tank except for 1 piece. All in all I will have to remove around 41/2 to 5 pounds which will leave me with around 57 pounds in the tank and 12lbs in the sump so I think I'll be ok during the cleaning process. I still have 20 lbs of live rock in my quarantine tank which is just about cured. I did a water change on it 2 days ago due to the nitrates being a little high but there was 0ppm ammonia.
    Looks like I'll be re-arranging my tank this week to get at those critters.
    Thanks for the confirmation Cliff. I needed that push. hehehe

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I found this on another forum, not sure if it will help you or not:

"I've used a turkey baster and very hot RO/DI water. Very easy to direct the kill. Just enough of the water to do the job. You'll know."
    I did see that Slaphppy7 but these critters are too close to my corals to try the hot r/o water, lemon juice, or vinegar option. I'll bite the bullet and remove the rocks to clean them good.
    Thank for checking for me. Much appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    I had found the same info as well Slaphppy, but I too did not use it due to the little critters being very close to a anemone
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I did not consider proximity of your other fragile organisms to those pests...Strider, you are very welcome, I just hope you find a solution to the problem without disrupting your tank ecosystem too badly...good luck to you.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well after marking the rocks these critters were in (5 critters on 3 rocks), I filled a small bucket with r/o water and proceeded to move my live rock so I could get those 3 pieces into the bucket. One piece was easy as it sat near the top with only a colony of candy cane coral in it which I moved to another rock. The other two pieces of rock were foundation rocks, yes they were on the sand holding up everything above them.
    What a mess the tank is in but for now it will have to do while I boil the heck out of the Digitate hydroids. On the plus side I also found an aiptasia growing on one of the lower pieces of live rock. I removed around 10 pounds of rock and tomorrow will replace it with around the same amount I have in quarantine which will be ready tomorrow. I hope this does the trick. Man what fun.

0 Not allowed!
    I would also let the rock dry out for a about a week after you have soaked it in RO water for a few days. That should kill everything on the rock. You could also re-cure after words as well so it won't any any trace of nitrates or phosphates when you put the rock back in the tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast