· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default canister filter that is easy to clean?

0 Not allowed!
    My grandma has a 46g bowfront aquarium with a rena XP2 filter that I bought her last year. She loves it but with her age she can't clean the filter easily anymore... she has to pull the filter, place it on a moving cart, cart it through the house to the sink and its very difficult for her to do :-(

What can I buy her that does not require her to move a canister full of water? Maybe something she can move the filter baskets only? Have any better ideas. Something sub $300

If I lived closer I would take care of her setup but I live to far for a quick weekend fish tank clean.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    Something sub $300

If I lived closer I would take care of her setup but I live to far for a quick weekend fish tank clean.
    I was g0ing t0 suggest a few tanks 0f gas- but y0u are excused, L0L. I d0n't kn0w 0f a canister that d0esn't need t0 eventually be m0ved and cleaned.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    And from my research, the Renas are the easiest to maintain (just got 2 for my 29 gals). Maybe this is way overkill, but what about something like this - she could roll it to the sink and let the jack do the lifting -

http://www.sears.com/powerbilt-tripl...&blockType=G33
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you come up with something. And it's very sweet of you to think about your grandmother :o)

If you don't come up with any solutions, maybe she could replace the canister with 2 HOB's? They are much easier to clean. Just a thought.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    And from my research, the Renas are the easiest to maintain (just got 2 for my 29 gals). Maybe this is way overkill, but what about something like this - she could roll it to the sink and let the jack do the lifting -

http://www.sears.com/powerbilt-tripl...&blockType=G33
    The hard part is not being able to lift it from point A to point B... jack would not work at her place.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I hope you come up with something. And it's very sweet of you to think about your grandmother :o)

If you don't come up with any solutions, maybe she could replace the canister with 2 HOB's? They are much easier to clean. Just a thought.
    Can't do HOB since its a corner tank and setup for a canister.

Many years ago I had a canister that the top came off and you could remove the top tray to clean and nothing else. Had a handle and everything to easily remove it. It was reverse design on the rena.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a cascade 1200 - it's the only canister filter I'm familiar with so I'm not certain how the others are for cleaning. On the Cascade, if I wanted to, I could removed the top then remove each of the four media baskets separately (they all have handles) and put them in a bucket. There would be nothing left in the canister but tank water which, again, if I wanted to, I could siphon out then easily carry the empty canister to the sink to clean. After you replace the media baskets into the canister, you don't fill it with water. You wait until it's hooked up and with a little push button priming, the tank water fills in.

Might be worth looking into for your grandmother. much less than $300 and much easier than carting or carrying a full canister to the sink
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I find my Rena XP filters are the easiest to clean and maintain
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I have a cascade 1200 - it's the only canister filter I'm familiar with so I'm not certain how the others are for cleaning. On the Cascade, if I wanted to, I could removed the top then remove each of the four media baskets separately (they all have handles) and put them in a bucket. There would be nothing left in the canister but tank water which, again, if I wanted to, I could siphon out then easily carry the empty canister to the sink to clean. After you replace the media baskets into the canister, you don't fill it with water. You wait until it's hooked up and with a little push button priming, the tank water fills in.

Might be worth looking into for your grandmother. much less than $300 and much easier than carting or carrying a full canister to the sink
    You could do the same thing with the Rena. Put the media baskets in a large bucket, Siphon out the canister water into the bucket, clean the empty canister and reassemble the canister. The Rena is self-priming. The bucket water could maybe be siphoned outside. Once a month, clean the sponges and biomedia. Petsmart has gravel vacs with a siphon bulb - she would just squeeze the bulb until enough water was out of the canister so she could carry it to the sink.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    With canisters it's usually the particle filter bit that needs the most frequent cleaning. I know of two filters that make this relatively easy.
    Eheim ecco pro: at 0:40
    JBL cristal profi, at 5:20
    http://www.jbl.de/en/freshwater-vide...cristalprofi-e

However this would still require moving the filter. Perhaps mounting a prefilter like Eheim 4004320 would keep the muck from building up longer. If she's still able to reach into the tank it would simply be a matter of removing this and giving it a quick clean and you could do the filter maintenance 2, 3 times a year when you're over.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have the eheim ecco pro 60. It is pretty easy to clean. The only thing is the inner baskets all click together so you have to lift them all out at once. So I dont know if that would be too heavy for her or not.