· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default the rarest cichlid

0 Not allowed!
    Time for a little fun. I do ask this question legitimately, since I am truly curious about this. What is the rarest cichlid?

Now I'm not so much looking for rare in the hobby but rather rare in terms of actual population and or geographic distribution. For example Iranian species. Just for the record, this is not a contest. Just a chance for everyone to learn.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

If everyone is thinking alike , then no one is thinking.

Play ban the person above you Here

0 Not allowed!
    You'd probably have to look toward Madagascar for them. I'd bet on Paretroplus nourissati.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Talldutchie's right, it's from madagascar. Saw this on seriouslyfish a little while ago.
    http://digitaljournal.com/article/350062
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    Talldutchie's right, it's from madagascar. Saw this on seriouslyfish a little while ago.
    http://digitaljournal.com/article/350062
    disconcerting read, l00ks grim f0r this species, what a shame. It is an interesting l00king fish. Unfortunately, we can't save everything all the time- even if we ARE the reas0n they are g0ing extinct.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, there's just too many of us in some places.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick answer lol. Just to add to this, even though they aren't cichlids, I always thought it was interesting that endlers and white clouds, while being common in the hobby, are basically extinct if not totally extinct in the wild.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    als0 clearly n0t a cichlid, but Puntius denisonii, is headed int0 harms way als0.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Denisons have been endangered for some time now, strain on the wild population has been high but it's being lessened due to them finally being farm bred in large quantities.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking it was Etroplus Canarensis. It was considered extinct untill a population was found in the early 90's.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

If everyone is thinking alike , then no one is thinking.

Play ban the person above you Here

0 Not allowed!
    Also not a cichlid but Dwarf Chain Loaches are critically endangered in the wild.