· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Bought a powerhead, not sure if it's right.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so for my Planted Tank 2, I'm doing DIY (or semi-DIY) as much as I can. With that notion, I'm doing a sump filter.

After researching gph for sumps, I saw people recommending 4-6x the volume of their tanks in the gph of the pump. With that in mind (and I the idea I'll have something in the 7-8 gallon range of water volume), I purchased a TOM Aquarium Power Head 40. (Not at that price, though!)

Now I'm second-guessing myself, since I have it in-person. Nothing really fits with a seal over the outflow nozzle. An airline tube will fit firmly INSIDE it, but it doesn't seem like a good way to set up the system for returning water to the tank. Though an idea I had was to use airline tubing (either starting from the outflow nozzle, or having something larger there that tapers down to airline tubing with an adapter), and then use a long airstone bar to make the incoming current more diffuse.

I'm also considering switching to a sump for my first planted tank, if I can't figure out why the ammonia isn't going to 0 when the tank had been cycled. If I did that, the idea would be to use the TOM for the currently-set-up 5 gallon, and then get another pump for the second tank. I'm seeing an ad for a Rio 180 pump on CL for $15, and I don't know if that's a good price or not... I may just end up getting it anyways if it is a good deal.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone? Thoughts on these two products?
    1. 2. (No Picture)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1. Bring your Tom pump to a home improvement store and find vinyl tubing that will fit over the output nozzle. You might have to buy a adjustable hose clamp to make sure that the tubing fits as tight as possible.

2. Do not use an airstone to diffuse the water after leaving the pump. It won't work out too well since it is not porous enough for water to go through it from the pump. Make a spray bar. You can also put some sort of quarter turn valve between the spray and pump if the output is too much.

3. I would rather spend the $19 on amazon for a brand new RIO 180 than $15. See if you can get that pump on CL for $10.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    1. Bring your Tom pump to a home improvement store and find vinyl tubing that will fit over the output nozzle. You might have to buy a adjustable hose clamp to make sure that the tubing fits as tight as possible.
    Okay, I'll look into that. I think part of my problem is that I can't find that much information on DIY sump set-ups with regards the piping to return water to the tank, the main focus seems to be on the overflow and setting up the sump itself.

2. Do not use an airstone to diffuse the water after leaving the pump. It won't work out too well since it is not porous enough for water to go through it from the pump. Make a spray bar. You can also put some sort of quarter turn valve between the spray and pump if the output is too much.
    That's why I was putting the idea out here. I know water can go through them (I've been using air stones on the end of the siphons I use for water changes in my QT tank), but I didn't know if it would work as well forcing water through by a pump.

3. I would rather spend the $19 on amazon for a brand new RIO 180 than $15. See if you can get that pump on CL for $10.
    And he agreed to go down to $10. :)
    1. 2. (No Picture)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!

Simplistic view of return from sump pump. You can either use vinyl tubing to a loc line spray bar or create a spray bar using PVC.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Part of my issue is that my sumps can't be below the tanks themselves, and I don't want a wet-dry set up because that loses too much CO2 for a planted tank.

What do you mean by 'loc line spray bar'?
    1. 2. (No Picture)